Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a fresh motor together in my 93 LX 5.0 hatchback and out an E303 cam in it, i had the E303 cam in my old engine too and loved it, but i keep hearing that the E303 cam is no good and is the weak point of my motof set up, but ive also heard its a good cam for street/strip driving....i keep hearing its either garbage or that its not the best but still pretty good, i have no experience with any other cams in my Mustang so i cant compare it but it seems good to me, just want some thoughts and opinions about it

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
E cam oh my it's going to blow up.......AAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Read that sticky to educate yourself as this has been discussed in length. It is not terrible but technology has come a long way in 25 years.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was a good read....pretty much the E303 cam is actually decent, but there r just more cams out there that will give u lil more performance ...but the guy i get my parts thru that builds a lot of 302 motors, told me this morninv that if i wanted to go with a diff xam with more lift n whatnot, my car would run like **** off the start without a high stall torque converter and a mayve a tune...he said the E-cam is actually like the perfect cam for what i have in my car and for what i use my car for so i guess im not missing out too much on any diff cams....plus the ford cams do sound great

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
you say you have already put this engine together....you have already put the E cam in it.......sounds like you already made up your mind......what do want us to tell you? now is not the time to ask questions.....:nono:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not in the motor yet, and i had the E303 in my old motor...but i wanted to know so when i do put a high stall torque converter in my car, if i should go with anything else

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Without knowing what you have in the terms of mods it is kinda hard to recommend a cam. So you have the motor built already? What is actually done?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
All new internals, trick flow twisted wedge heads, 1.6 RR, holley systemax upper and lower intake, bbk long tube headers, 70mm throttle body, 19lb injectors, off road mid pipes, 3.73 gears, thats about it so far

CAI too obviously

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
I just put a fresh motor together in my 93 LX 5.0 hatchback and out an E303 cam in it, i had the E303 cam in my old engine too and loved it, but i keep hearing that the E303 cam is no good and is the weak point of my motof set up, but ive also heard its a good cam for street/strip driving....i keep hearing its either garbage or that its not the best but still pretty good, i have no experience with any other cams in my Mustang so i cant compare it but it seems good to me, just want some thoughts and opinions about it
i'm sorry, you say "i just put a fresh motor together in my 93 LX and put an E303 cam in it" i'm confuzed as usuall....:kooky: it sounds to me like the E cam will be PERFECT for your combo! :worship:worship

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Overall, it's not a bad cam, it's just there's so many better ones out there. If there were 100 cams rated first to worst, the E would be around #60.

The reputation it's gotten has just grown to "the worst thing to get". Every time someone speaks of it, they add just a tad more emphasis on how supposedly bad it is, and now it's the worst cam ever.

If it works for you, then ride it regardless of what others have to say. Based on what little we know of your engine, which is on the mild side, the E will work fine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol @ cindy sn95, sorry to confuse you, i meant to say i am putting a fresh motor together and have an E303 cam for it....i put it in today tho...i liked the powerband and sound it madd in my pretty much stock old set up, i gotta assume ill get a lil more out of it with good heads n whatnot now...should have the motor together and in my car monday hopefully

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have the e-cam in my 90 gt. i have it along with 1.7 rr. gt40x heads. upper and lower cobra intake and a powerdyne blower. big tb and maf. cold air intake. i bought the car like that and i use it as a street car. i really like the sound and performance. i know theres better cams but for what i use the car for it works great. it tears up most of what i see on the street so im good with it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Good timing! I started a thread talking about some of the more popular cams out there (but I have smog nazi's to deal with). Your setup is similar to where I'm going with mine. You might get a bit of info out of that thread.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/353624-street-cams.html

One other note, you might want to bump up the 19lb injectors/MAF to 24lb. You will be pushing the maximum out of those 19 lb'ers with the mods you have. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
170 Posts
I installed an E303 on my 90 Fox Vert. Everything else is stock on my stang. I got the CAM as a gift..so I thought I'd just install it. I did have surging idle problems when I installed it. But I've since done a 5 speed swap and the idle issue are long gone and the stang sounds great. Performance wise..no biggie, but love the sound...

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think im def gonna go to 24# injectors and bigger MAF....i ran it at the track for the first time since i rebuilt the engine, ran 13.9 @ 102mph...thats with a bone stock aod tranny with an performance valve body or a high stall torque converter...i did have slicks too....i now need to get a valve body, 2400-3200 rpm stall converter, and transmission coolerfor the next mods, it should put me in the high 12's or around 13.0

Bone stock aod tranny WITHOUT*

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If you have the mods listed below in your signature and you have a stock fuel pump along with stock injectors well............it is really time to upgrade.

I also said in another thread to post up your time slip so we can see what is happening in your 60' and mid track speed.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts