Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember if Ford is trying to target the C6 'Vette, or the ZO6, I remember Tang talking a little bit about the goals during an interview, but the new Z06 screamed to 60mph in 3.4 in Dec. Car and Driver. Holy Crap!!!! I wonder if they will bump the horsepower up in the Shelby. *****, is that thing fast!!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I don't believe its aimed after either. Its not going to be as light, as low, or a two seater like the Vette. Though, I think it will give an alternative to the c6 Vette for a few bucks less. On MSRP anyways, have to wait to see what the actual price paid is.

Plus it is going to be a ripping kind of power where as the vette is smooth and refined. Well, thats atleast what I have seen so far.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The new Z06 will likely trounce any new Shelby Mustang for the reasons Kyle already stated. Awesome package with an equally awesome price. I doubt GT 500 owners will care much.

What they WILL care about is that the GT500 will trounce all SRT variants and anything else with 2+2 seating within $25k (or more) of it's price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yep, no contest with the Z06 'cause of the weight difference (I think the Z06 weighs something like 3150 lbs...I think the GT500 will be in the range 3550-3650...), but as already said, I don't believe the GT500 has the Z06 in its crosshairs...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I don't think they are trying to rival anything. They have been building SVT's for a long time so it's nothing new. On the street it might rival the C6, but I don't tihnk it will come close to the Z06(3.4/3.6 seconds).

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Legion681 said:
Yep, no contest with the Z06 'cause of the weight difference (I think the Z06 weighs something like 3150 lbs...I think the GT500 will be in the range 3550-3650...), but as already said, I don't believe the GT500 has the Z06 in its crosshairs...
noooo!

The regular vette is around 3150, the C6 is closer to 2800 lbs with all kinds of carbon fiber, magnesium, aluminum, etc.

·
Registered
261 Posts
well ther you go body kit guru's. come up an all carbon fiber and aluminum cobra kit and the test em and see! ill pic the cobra !vynle:winks

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
vynle said:
well ther you go body kit guru's. come up an all carbon fiber and aluminum cobra kit and the test em and see! ill pic the cobra !vynle:winks
the GT weighs 3400+ lbs. The iron blocked & supercharged 5.4L + intercooler & upgraded radiator oil coolers etc will push the car to at LEAST 3650 - I don't have the specs in front of me.

that's 800 lbs to lose, you're not gonna get that from carbon fiber body parts.

Say you got rid of the rear seats (net 40-50 lbs) & replaced lighter front seats (net 40lbs) + carbon fiber roof (net 10 lbs?, trunk (20 lbs?), hood (8 lbs?)& fenders(net 30-40 lbs), you MAY lose 200 lbs or so, & kick out the subwoofer & amps it's sure to have, and you may knock it down another 80 lbs?, you've still got another 300 lbs to come from somewhere, so say you throw in an aluminum block, and save another 120 lbs, . . .

I'm not sure you can get there . . ..unless you swap out the rear windows with plexiglass . .. .

·
Registered
167 Posts
kscoyote said:
noooo!

The regular vette is around 3150, the C6 is closer to 2800 lbs with all kinds of carbon fiber, magnesium, aluminum, etc.
Yesssss !!! ;)

About a month ago, I sent a request to Chevy for a Z06 brochure: all I got was a one page thingy (double sided though). Not incredible but better than nothing at all.

The Z06 weight is 3100 lbs (I scanned both sides and I added a red arrow where it shows the curb weight), I believe it's close to the regular Vette because the weight of the 427 is probably quite higher than the regular 6.0 (I am not sure of this though...). So not 3150, but I wasn't THAT far off. :)

Check the images I enclosed with this thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
It is so hard to match the handling of the Vette just because of the full frame. The Vette is rigid. I can jack up my wifes Vette 6" inches on the right front and the rear is off the ground, both sides. I would not think the Shelby will even beat the regular Vette in handling but then two different animals. The comment made by Ford 3 years ago was since the Slomaro or Fire Chicken being out of production they had the Vette in sight. That is a long tunnel that Ford can not risk a challange so they better keep the High End 4 seater market in view and not try the Sports Car Arena other than with the GT40.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Legion681 said:
Yesssss !!! ;)

About a month ago, I sent a request to Chevy for a Z06 brochure: all I got was a one page thingy (double sided though). Not incredible but better than nothing at all.

The Z06 weight is 3100 lbs (I scanned both sides and I added a red arrow where it shows the curb weight), I believe it's close to the regular Vette because the weight of the 427 is probably quite higher than the regular 6.0 (I am not sure of this though...). So not 3150, but I wasn't THAT far off. :)

Check the images I enclosed with this thread.
I was going to suggest that after the weight reduction you'd need around 75 hp more, but it looks like that would be icing on the cake!

What's the regular Vette weigh?

·
Registered
167 Posts
kscoyote said:
I was going to suggest that after the weight reduction you'd need around 75 hp more, but it looks like that would be icing on the cake!

What's the regular Vette weigh?
3187 lbs with the 6sp manual.

If you wanna know the truth, what entices me the most about the regular Vette, it's the new 6sp sequential paddleshifter (SMG style): it really looks like Chevy produced a real good and technologically advanced tranny! Finally the old 4sp auto kicked the bucket once and for all !

·
Registered
261 Posts
well after seeing that brocher ill change my comment . thats one mean ride. 7.0 . how much is this car . has to be 60,000. vynle

·
Registered
167 Posts
vynle said:
well after seeing that brocher ill change my comment . thats one mean ride. 7.0 . how much is this car . has to be 60,000. vynle
The Z06 starts at 65800, fully equipped the price gets to a tiny bit less than 72k. I know it's a lot, but still less than a Ford GT or BMW M5/M6...

PS: yeah I love this car as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts