Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No it is not a true dual kit, it is simply connects to the stock y pipe and splits into two pipes. A true dual will not have a y midpipe.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yea its not true dual, but i bet it will still sound awesome. I have the same kit but instead of Boomtubes i got the Macs and they really sound great. You'll save money going this route and you dont have to weld anything, just unbolt your stock Y and put this over they other Y, making it dual >--<

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
well it is KIND of dual, dont two Y's make an X?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
well it is KIND of dual, dont two Y's make an X?
Eh... maybe. It's dual-exit, but not a true dual. An X has the advantage that each side can fire straight through, or turn a slight angle and head out the other side. With the Y to reverse Y, both sides have to collect into a single tube, and then "decide" to split to each side. It's that collection into a single tube that restricts the system. Also, you will still have the non-mandrel bends in the stock Y-pipe that disrupt flow.

The best exhaust is either true duals, followed closely by an X-pipe or H-pipe system. :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
You know, I've been getting tired of this type of thing also. No, it is not a true dual exhaust. Taking one pipe, and splitting into two doesn't make it dual. You still have flow restriction. I was on their website the other day looking at it, and they actually attack people for saying it isn't true dual.

They are a good company from all that I've heard, and the exhaust is no doubt an improvement over stock. However, if you are looking for a true dual ... this isn't it. There are other companies that do the same thing. Don't buy without seeing the kit first.

FYI, I have a GT muffler on my single exhaust and it is sick loud with a huge upgrade over performance. It doesn't sound like a V6 at all.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
True dual doesn't pick up much power over a Y with a good single muffler unless maybe if you're running forced induction.

The Y with dual mufflers should be plenty for normally aspirated cars.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've been reading about Boom tubes having welds get loose after a year or so.

If it wasn't for that, I'd try a set since a lot of people say they sound awesome.

If I switch mufflers, I'll go for Stingers or the new Ford Racing KR's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.