1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering...
is there a classic car insurance company,
that actually lets you drive your mustang,
not just drive it to a car show and back?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have mercury i pay alot around 900 every 6 months for full coverage that includes major premiums and a 21k payout if my car disappeared or was a total loss. And im 21 which doesn't help. But its listed that i drive 10k miles a year if i put car show only id be at 790. But my odometer wouldn't be able to lie

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have Geico. I have my Titan, Mazda and Mustang insured full coverage for $600 for 6 months. I tried to get a quote from 21st but unfortunately, they won't accept an OLD car. :nono: Geico doesn't really give me any crap about driving my car. They've been good to me.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have Hagerty. They been pretty good knock on wood i haven't had to call them for anything. But i pay about 150 a year for full coverage and i can drive 5000 miles i think. I don't drive far so it works for me and the price is right for sure. my insurance wanted 200 or something like that a month for liability only..
If im not mistaken you might be able to pay more to drive more too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I had Geico on my other car awhile back. I asked how much to add full coverage to the Mustang. The guy says you might want to think about it, a '66 Mustang is worth only $800 to us, if its a total loss.

Lose your fav car in the whole world and get only $800 for it??

21st/Farmers/AIG sent me a letter told me that since i attend car shows with my Mustang, they would not renew my policy. It was a Liability policy only too!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
almost every standard insurance company with have absolutely no appreciation for the actual value of your car. I have USAA (only available to military and direct relatives) and they allowed me to get an agreed value policy with as many miles as i want. I currently have it set at $5k and 10k miles a year and its costing me $400 a year for full coverage.
You might want to ask about agreed value insurance from some other companies, not sure if they offer it.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had Geico on my other car awhile back. I asked how much to add full coverage to the Mustang. The guy says you might want to think about it, a '66 Mustang is worth only $800 to us, if its a total loss.

Lose your fav car in the whole world and get only $800 for it??

That's a first I ever heard of Geico doing. I have a total opposite estimate than "just" $800 for a 66. Different states have different estimates and coverage. California really sucks for one because of the idiot drivers here.

·
Registered
539 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Most (all?) of the collector car insurers expect you to NOT drive the car regularly no matter what they claim. Grundy is probably the worst in that respect if you read their policy. Others will claim you can drive the car but they don't really want you to. Some have yearly mileage limits (often not stated unless you ask). If you want to drive the car regularly or more than around 3-4k miles a year you need to insure it as a regular car which will cost about twice as much.

Knowing your agent and how he views you and your cars is a very important part of all this. Your agent, and whether he will stand up for you is the determining factor in all this. I use State Farm and have known my agent personally for 20 years and the agent before him for 20 more. They know what I am doing and they tell me what is expected of me and my cars. Their antique rate, S class as they call it, is about half the price of regular insurance for a car driven daily. Their antique coverage is also about the same cost as Hagerty, etc., and without as much hassle. IMHO, their breakdown coverage is actually better than Hagerty's since you decide how, where and when to tow and your local agent writes the check to cover it. As long as your agent agrees that it was reasonable, there are no limits on that towing coverage. I have had Hagerty dump me off the flatbed 100 miles from home because I didn't want to pay them an extra $500 (plus tax) to continue on to our house.

As far as Geico, the only time I ever asked them they refused to cover anything I owned since they said all of my cars, one of which was only 10 years old, were all too old for them to insure. When the Geico driver hit me, though, I can say that Geico was good about paying me to repair my 30 year old car. The threat of State Farm suing them likely had something to do with that though. :)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
I'll most likely just add my car on to my Progressive policy. I asked my agent how Progressive does classic cars some time ago and they said it was an agreed value policy. I'd probably have the car appraised to do this.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have my 67 Mustang with my regular co. insured with agreed value-after an appraisal.
The big thing is I can drop back to "sitting coverage" in the winter.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Most (all?) of the collector car insurers expect you to NOT drive the car regularly no matter what they claim. Grundy is probably the worst in that respect if you read their policy. Others will claim you can drive the car but they don't really want you to. Some have yearly mileage limits (often not stated unless you ask). If you want to drive the car regularly or more than around 3-4k miles a year you need to insure it as a regular car which will cost about twice as much.

Knowing your agent and how he views you and your cars is a very important part of all this. Your agent, and whether he will stand up for you is the determining factor in all this. I use State Farm and have known my agent personally for 20 years and the agent before him for 20 more. They know what I am doing and they tell me what is expected of me and my cars. Their antique rate, S class as they call it, is about half the price of regular insurance for a car driven daily. Their antique coverage is also about the same cost as Hagerty, etc., and without as much hassle. IMHO, their breakdown coverage is actually better than Hagerty's since you decide how, where and when to tow and your local agent writes the check to cover it. As long as your agent agrees that it was reasonable, there are no limits on that towing coverage. I have had Hagerty dump me off the flatbed 100 miles from home because I didn't want to pay them an extra $500 (plus tax) to continue on to our house.

As far as Geico, the only time I ever asked them they refused to cover anything I owned since they said all of my cars, one of which was only 10 years old, were all too old for them to insure. When the Geico driver hit me, though, I can say that Geico was good about paying me to repair my 30 year old car. The threat of State Farm suing them likely had something to do with that though. :)
Don't get me started with State Farm. haha:fuming: Not all the agents play the same game anyways. Just this one particular agent from the other driver's company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts