Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-Way or 3-Way

Hey all,

Don't beat me up too bad here. I'm no audiophile, and just looking to get a little more oomph than the stock speakers can take. Believe me, I know components and subwoofers are better -- I have a satellite/woofer system in home audio and all. I just don't want to go there in a car who's trunk actually DOES get used, and for a guy who doesn't want to start cutting new holes in the interior (car didn't come with Mach so no dash speakers, e.g.)

So my question is this: given it's a straight swap across, is there a significant different between 2-way and 3-way speakers?

Kris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry to repeat... One last question.

Most of the "6x8" speakers I see are actually "5x7/6x8" speakers. To me, that means I'm getting 5x7's that have holes to fit a 6x8 opening...

Am I wrong? If not, are there "real" 6x8's out there?

Kris

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
to answer the first question, if you have a 6" speaker (the bass part) and two cones (where voice comes out) thats a 3 way, if the speaker just has the one cone its a 2 way.. 3 ways are best for projecting Sub,mid,and high range all in one speaker.. they sound just fine for a direct replacement... if you're going with a system, you'll want highs up fron mids in the back seat and subs in the trunk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
3-way or even 4-way will sound the best if you're looking for an all-in-one speaker rather than components. If you're not gonna do subs or components, I would get the best 6x8"s or 5x7"s you can by (probably four-way), and place a small amp on them. I've heard some of these setups sound crystal clear, just depends on the quality of the product.

I've got Blaupunt 4-way 5x7's for my front doors. They're amped just a little bit, and they sound great. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.