Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to go to the track on saturday, but will i still be covered by my insurance?

my dad is all fussy about it incase something happens.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Most insurance companies don't cover you at the track if something happens, unless they were notified that you will be using the car for motorsports reasons. And then there's a substantial rate increase, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
dude say your going out to a friends house or something and just go

·
Registered
546 Posts
dude say your going out to a friends house or something and just go

lol ya if you wreck your stang you're pretty much screwed whether you have insurance or not :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Luckily my insurance guy is a cool dude, he doesn't care. I drive my car right to the office and go in and pay my insurance. We talk racing, then I leave.

But if you are 18 just go.

·
Registered
787 Posts
You can get race car insurance, saw ads in The National Dragster Mag. You can get whatever coverage you want. If you can run 1/8 mile, it is pretty safe with a stock or mild mod car for sure. I have made hundreds of 1/8 mi. passes never had any problems or close calls.Your are probably safer on the track than driving on the street. I feel a lot safer on the track than I do riding my H.D. on the street. 90lx bracket car

·
Registered
787 Posts
N.H.R.A. and I.H.R.A. member have a 400 plus thousand dollar injury policy for any injury that happens at the track that is good if your personal policy runs out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If daddy is paying the bills grow up and pay your own and then do as you please.

·
Registered
653 Posts
doesnt mean you have any coverage while racing.
If one does not have collision it doesn't matter where the car is damaged no coverage. As for the medical the insurance company will have to cover that if you have that in your policy. In New Jersey medical coverage is mandatory.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
If your insurance company finds out you are dragracing, you might be canceled. I had State Farm for 30 years and they longer wanted to insure this car once they found out. I then had Allstate and even though car was never to be street driven again (modded beyond street use), they were about to cancel.

Even if you are 100% stock, your insurance company will likely not be happy if they know the car is raced (location irrelevant). Once you become heavily modded (like mine), it can become a major problem and uninsurable, to the extent that I turned the license plate into DMV a few weeks ago. Not insured....not required to be insured....racecar use only. As far as being insured at the track, for one car as a private individual, the only insurance I have found (that is realistically affordable) is insurance at the track while parked, stored, being transported via trailer etc, but nothing while actually racing.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If your insurance company finds out you are dragracing, you might be canceled. I had State Farm for 30 years and they longer wanted to insure this car once they found out. I then had Allstate and even though car was never to be street driven again (modded beyond street use), they were about to cancel.
That would depend on state insurance regulations and the companies acceptance standards. My policy lists the things I can be canceled for. One is passing a school bus when its red lights are flashing another is racing on a public road. I don't see how they can cancel someone for doing something legal except getting too old. Now if one's car is not street legal, like installing long tube headers, your insurance can be canceled for that.

In New Jersey if I get hurt pulling parts in a salvage yard my auto insurance is the first payer for any medical bills. Medical coverage is mandatory with auto insurance in New Jersey and they are the first payer in an injury involving a vehicle.

·
Registered
927 Posts
if it breaks, just tell the insurance company that you were trying to get on the freeway and put the petal to the metal to do it and then something broke :winks

·
Registered
653 Posts
if it breaks, just tell the insurance company that you were trying to get on the freeway and put the petal to the metal to do it and then something broke :winks
Insurance doesn't pay for broke; they are for crash and burn. This is where the street racers come out ahead. Insurance will pay when they hit a school bus full of children but not for a legal wall tap at the track.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just as the possibility of major parts breakage always exists, the chance of an encounter with the wall is part of the game also.

Everybody I race with knows that and accepts it. You hope it never happens but you have to be aware that it could.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
don't see how they can cancel someone for doing something legal
Because they don't want to be bothered with insuring a vehicle that is being exposed to unnecessary mechanical stress, as in taking your DD to the strip from time to time.

Probably also assume that most folk that take their street vehicle to the strip, sooner or later make undisclosed performance mods and maybe more inclined to street race.

if it breaks, just tell the insurance company that you were trying to get on the freeway
Thanks...that's why our insurance is so high. We are paying for all those that drive around unlicensed, uninsured, and willing to commit insurance fraud.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have won the foot brake class several times at the local track, they always put all the different class winners and their cars photos on the tracks web site and in the local paper. My car is taged and insured, so I was worried my insurance agent would see my photo in the news paper. I don't worry now because they always spell my name wrong. I don't tell anyone at the track any different. 90lx bracket car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.