Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have the stock manifolds, a bassani catted x pipe, and the SLP LM axle back. I always hear people complaining about 'the dreaded drone' I had a magnaflow catback that came on the car and it was louder in cabin, but I wouldn't describe either of my setups as "droaning" I have also been in a mustang that had the pypes mid muffler system and I still don't think I have heard it. What is this like?

I am getting close to getting LT Headers and if I get the headers, I would have to redo my exhaust. I like it loud so I want to get the cut off tubes (to run open headers :D ) when I want to be loud, and to have a very nice sounding muffler on when I want to be a little quieter. I was thinking the Ford Racing Stingers or Borla Stingers with an O/R H pipe would be my best option but I am open to other suggestions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my car running stock headers, o/r h pipe, and not sure on the cat back, i bought it from someone else and I know there are many non-stock parts. It drones around 2k RPM and it is a drone. The only way you can describe it is by hearing it. When your car drones you will know it, its sleep inducing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I can understand that.

If it is 'droaning' in the car, does that mean it is louder outside or it doesn't sound good outside the car?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would describe droning as a humming sound, and I would think it sounds similar outside of the car but im not sure? :headscratch:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Why not the Bassani axle-backs? I always wanted QUIET, but knew that wasn't possible with my new build, which included Kooks LT's and catted x-pipe. I asked my builder if he could keep my stock mufflers on to keep the noise down, and he said sure, if I wanted to lose horsepower.

So he put the Bassani's at the end and the sound is terrific at all rpm's. WOT makes music :bigthumbsup

Edit: I felt bad because the other day after a volunteer event as I was idling through the parking garage, one car alarm after another went off as I passed by. I didnt think it was that loud, just a deep rumble...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not the Bassani axle-backs? I always wanted QUIET, but knew that wasn't possible with my new build, which included Kooks LT's and catted x-pipe. I asked my builder if he could keep my stock mufflers on to keep the noise down, and he said sure, if I wanted to lose horsepower.

So he put the Bassani's at the end and the sound is terrific at all rpm's. WOT makes music :bigthumbsup

Edit: I felt bad because the other day after a volunteer event as I was idling through the parking garage, one car alarm after another went off as I passed by. I didnt think it was that loud, just a deep rumble...
Thats awesome man! I might try those then. I just thought the borla/Ford stingers were the best combo of loudness and tone?

And you set off a car alarm with the cats on? that is pretty awesome man!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
And you set off a car alarm with the cats on?
I think it was all the car alarms, not just one. It was like an echo chamber in there. All I was doing was idling along, didn't mean to cause trouble...oh well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think it was all the car alarms, not just one. It was like an echo chamber in there. All I was doing was idling along, didn't mean to cause trouble...oh well.
now thats impressive haha

about that drone. i noticed mine with a completely stock exhaust with mac axle backs, but after i broke them in it went away. most people see it around 1800-2200 rmps. like you'll be cruising at 1500, move up to 2000ish and hear this loud hum, then move up to 3000 and it'll sound normal again. that hum is what we call drone

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
OK, reread your earlier post about drone. Here's my take:

Drone only matters, and annoys, those inside the car in question. You never hear people saying, that damn '86 driving next to me had some serious drone!" While it might be noticeable to others, what's important in my book is to find a setup you can live with since YOU have to drive it each day and bad drone will drive most people bonkers!!

I do have a drone issue with the setup described above. It occurs at exactly 56 mph. I don't know how many rpm's that is, too lazy to calculate, but only 56 mph in overdrive. A tad more gas, it goes away. If I lift off a bit, it goes away. If I turn off o/d, it goes away. No drone in any other situation so of course I can live with it. If I cruise at 55 or 57, no drone. Bizarre.

Who drives 56 mph anyway? I'd get run over here on DC's beltway at that speed.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
I would say that "too loud" is when I can't talk on the phone inside the car on my 1-hour commute to work, or when the neighbors say "great, here comes that a-hole in the red mustang again" . . . . or when I set off all the car alarms in the parking garage just idling through ;)

. . . I always wanted QUIET, but knew that wasn't possible with my new build, which included Kooks LT's and catted x-pipe. I asked my builder if he could keep my stock mufflers on to keep the noise down, and he said sure, if I wanted to lose horsepower. . . . .
I hope to someday get those exact headers and catted x-pipe . . . do you really lose significant power with a "normal" muffler? I have the Magnaflow rectangular mufflers, they have a great deep tone but a little on the quiet side with the stock manifolds and catted h-pipe, they supposedly flow real well, would they work OK with the Kooks headers/pipes?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I hope to someday get those exact headers and catted x-pipe . . . do you really lose significant power with a "normal" muffler?
All I can do is repeat what Justin Burcham told me, take it for what it's worth, and it was this: "if we put the Bassani's on your car in place of the stock mufflers, I guarantee we'll pull 12-15 more rwhp out of it." I said go for it, but no before or after dyno runs. If we did that with some or all parts, they'd still have my car and I'd be out a lot more than 14 hours of dyno time :winks

Keep in mind these conversations were had while discussing a high-horsepower, boosted engine. I don't know how much hp you'd pick up on a NA engine.

I have the Magnaflow rectangular mufflers, they have a great deep tone but a little on the quiet side with the stock manifolds and catted h-pipe, they supposedly flow real well, would they work OK with the Kooks headers/pipes?
I'm sure they would. Got to be better than the stockers, which really weren't all that restrictive in the first place but there is always room for improvement, right?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yeah, there is such a thing as too loud. It's called Flowmasters and a ORX Pipe. LOL.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'm thinking about going back to the bassani's in the near future since I don't commute with my car that much...I miss the exhaust notes, however I'm having trouble remmeber how bad the drone was :p which was the reason why I sold them in the first place.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
why not go full redneck and put the big 01 on the side? Yeah it can too loud, just like when a Harley goes by with straight pipes...what if everyone drove like that?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
too funny about the alarms! lady i work with has a bimmer, we get to work at the same time every day, when i drive by and catch her walking away from her car I revv mine as i drive right by and 9 times out of 10 she'll have to turn around and shut off her alarm. then she smiles and flips me off....:laugh:

as far as too loud, as long as your stang doesnt sound like one of those chevy farm trucks running open headers down the highway its cool with me. love the sound of good loud rumbling V8!:yup:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I guess I don't quite understand why people run off-road x-pipes AND loud mufflers. That has to be obnoxious, doesn't it? :?::?:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I don't quite understand why people run off-road x-pipes AND loud mufflers. That has to be obnoxious, doesn't it? :?::?:
Sorry I haven't been more active, I have been busy installing my saleen supercharger :gringreen

Right now I have basically no mufflers with a catted x pipe. With the new cams installed, I believe that my neighbors officially hate me.(before I just think they didn't like me) The exhaust is very audible to say the least :shigrin but now I want to have a decent sounding exhaust (O/r h pipe with maybe bassanis) that is very deep and kinda loud, and then electric cut outs so I can run straight headers when I want to be obnoxious) Hah I am younger and don't care about the car being too loud inside. I am sure this trend will phase (according to others because I love it right now)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts