Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have found a 1972 mach1 fastback for sale and was wondering if it's worth purchasing. It says the engine runs fine, but the transmission leaks a little bit and that the trunk has rust in it, but he is selling a trunk pan with it...Is this thing worth buying? also says the interior is in 'great condition' and the exterior "isn't cherry, but has potential"

It has a 351C and automatic transmission. Ram Air hood. new front and rear spoilers. rims are original mach 1's.

let me know what you think!!
:alittlefeedback:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
It would depend on price I bought my 72fb (not mach1) for 4,000 and realised i could a mach 1 for 1500-2200 about a month later. Watching the prices now 4500 for a mach1 is a good deal. Most likely the tranny leak is from the pan gasket, which is something that will get changed with tranny, a good thing to do after any buy.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The rims are repops i believe but first get the vin and decode it here Classic Mustang Dataplate Decoder a true ram air car is worth more but its real easy to just slap it on.A lot of cars had that hood but most had honeycomb block offs in them.Taking a guess but 3 to 5 grand is about what its worth.The trunk rust kinda bothers me the lower lip of the back window frame will rust out on them and you can't see it unless you crawl in the trunk or pop off the window trim.And its missing the twist locks on the hood all mach 1 had them so the hood is new.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I ordered a 72 Mach 1 in 72. I was told by the dealer that the Ram Air was available only on the 2 bbl car I bought a 4 bbl engine in my car ,and could not get the ram air. I think Ram Air was available on all Mach 1 in 71. Ram Air came standard on my friends 71 Boss 351. Those model mustangs 71 to 73 were bad to rust out in the trunk and tail light areas, so look close before you buy. Mine rusted out bad ,trunk, rear quarter panels, and I lived in Arkansas at the time. No salt on the roads ever.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you.

Hey guys. I'm working on getting the VIN number from the guys now. I appreciate all of the help so far!:worship

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Great advice so far and spot on too. the car looks good on film but real life is another ball of wax. Check cowl by hosing down the windshield(if the floors get hoesd too cowl is rusted through) look at and around tail light panel, bottom of rear glass by chrome, floors and so on. expect a rusted battery tray. this is non ac car as far as i can see, and if it has a rimblow wheel under the steering wheel wrap it is wither perfect of severly cracked. a new rimblow steering wheel is $$$$
good luck and good fortune with it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The easy way to tell a ford magnum 500 and the repop is the color of the spokes.Ford they was dull almost like a brushed alum color repop the spokes are a shiney chrome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1969 Mach 1. Is it worth my money?

Hey guys, I'm a 20 year old looking for my first car. Luckily, my dad is going to buy it for me and I will handle restoration cost.

The guy will let me take it for 15,000. He has 16,800 in it and has shown me receipts.

I have found a 1969 Mach 1. 351W. 4bbl. c6. with all body work and paint already complete.It has new floor and trunk pans, doors, chrome, etc. It would only need minor pieces and clips to complete the outside such as window molding, chrome trim around the hood, etc.

I would need to buy a brake line, put in the power steering (guy has already bought it and has it sitting in garage), and re-hook up all of the wiring. This is all it needs to be drivable.

The inside...is a different story. The guy has already done all of the seats and they are ready to be put it. He has has the carpet ready to be installed. The headliner is fine, also. I would need a new dash, steering wheel, door panels, etc etc etc.

He has several extras with the car. it has rear louvers, 14" and 15" wheels to go with it. several original pieces of chrome, several parts ready to be installed. 2 extra doors (one good, the other needing work). multiple original pieces he has replaced. I think you get the idea.

I am not really sure what information I need to include to get a good answer, so please let me know what more information you need.

Also, I am not planing on restoring it immediately. I would simply be interested in making it drivable and fixing it up as I go along.
This would not be my daily driver, but would it be worth spending 15,000 on plus interior restoration and exterior completion?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hell yes it would be. It's a '69 Mach 1, pretty rare find these days, and in good shape. It will always hold its value, and will always get the attention of others wherever you go. :bigthumbsup Go for it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Looks like a POS !
That's a really rude, arrogant, insulting thing to say.:nono: That is a very nice looking car, and people who see this thread may think that your calling all 71-73 big body Mustangs a POS. How would you like it if someone called your 65 fastback a POS? You would be really upset. So before you open your mouth think first.

I happen to think they are nice looking cars, and I miss my copper metallic 73 Mach 1 that I owned for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sandagesr: Where in the He!! did you find a '69 Fastback around southern Indiana for less than $20K?

Jump on it for sure. I've been looking for one for the wife for 5 years. I can't find just a shell for under $6K.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is a sweet looking car. Go for it.:bigthumbsup The rear louvers are after market and the Mach 1 had the hood pins but that car will turn heads. It would be nice to have more 69 Mach 1 people on here. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.