Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I posted this question at another Mustang Board but there is not alot happening over there....

I bought these OEM Ford Bullitt Polished Wheels a few days ago. I got a great deal. Apparantly these wheels / tires have less than 600 miles on them. After checking them out closely though I found they have very fine like polishing marks all over them. I am just wondering if this is a normal Characteristic of Polished Aluminum. Don't get me wrong, they shine like crazy and you only see this when up close. I tried using some mothers polish in this area, bu its as if the lines are under a clear coat. So it seems they are polished like this then painted with clear.
Thanks in advance for your expert opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Yes, I have the Fan blades and it is the same. Aluminum will scratch with a feather falling on it. :D I don't think you can polish aluminum completely scratch free.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I know mine isn't an S197 or have Bullitts, but mine are polished aluminum and you will have some minor imperfections since it is polished, not plated. Those scratches are probably done in the polishing process.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'll have to check mine...which are over a year old now. If they have that I have not noticed it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If they're clear coated...be careful what you use to polish them with.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
If they're clear coated...be careful what you use to polish them with.
I use Meguiars Quik Wheel Detailer.....it's spray on and wipe off. I use a micrfiber cloth to wipe it off. It's very good stuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do not use anything abrasive like Mothers Aluminum Wheel Polish it will dull the clearcoat finish. Cleaners like these are ment for non coated wheels and will turn the cloth black as it is cleaning the wheel. Use a polish with no cleaners.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The clearcoat is scratched -- pretty normal.

You can use paint care products, but I find a plastic polish on a PowerBall Mini works pretty good as it is a little different finish than clearcoat on your paint. You can also use a scratch remover type product, but put a wax or spray wax on them afterwards.

Once they're shined up, keep them clean with something like FX Spray Wax, which will help prevent brake dust from sticking.

Avoid harsh cleaners or stiff brushes when you wash them, and wash them often. Follow with spray wax.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My car came with the polished 18" bullitt's and even after 6000 miles they looked much better than that. Maybe somebody tried to polish out something on them.

I took them off at 6K miles and sold them.

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.