Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 05 GT stang today and the previous owner put the FR axel back exhaust kit the ones with like the big round glass packs... and anyways i was looking online when i got home and FR.com said the pipes were decible illegal in CA. funny thing is though is that the car was bought in CA and pass CA smog test so i don't really know if they're illegal pipes or not. I dont really care though cuz they sound so BADASS :hihi: i just want to know if i'm gonna get pulled over for this... thanks -g

·
Registered
617 Posts
They are emissons legal. but they are too loud to be street legal. Dont worry Chances are against you getting pulled over. ps im pretty sure its only a fine

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Your lucky to have those axle-backs on your ride already,that kinda stuff willl nicke and dime you.There are some folks who may trade into a louder axle back if those don't work out for you.Poco

N

·
0 Posts
the cops will pull over a loud mustang around the same time they start pullin over loud harleys...it doesnt happen

·
Registered
120 Posts
if its to loud get a silencer cone. it wont kill the sound but it will muffle it. but wait until you pass a few cops. they really shouldnt do anything.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
the cops will pull over a loud mustang around the same time they start pullin over loud harleys...it doesnt happen
You can tell if the cop just wants to look at your car. After he is done berating you for your loud exhaust, he steps back, eyes your car and says "So how do you like it?"

AHA!!!

We have no ordinances in Idaho, at all. Look up, on your state laws homepage, to see if there is any ordinance about noise. It will almsot certainly pertain primarily to music and have hour restrictions like "no noise above 78dB between 11PM and 7AM" or something.

Idaho is so great that way. I could run 3 foot long straight pipes and have them exit beneath the door sills and it would be legal :D

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
california has a law in the books for "modified exhaust".. there is a decibal limit to it..... usually its how they get street racers tickets for not racing.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thanks i drove past like six smokeys on the way back from the dealer (40 mi drive) and two on the way to dinner later that night. so if 8 0f 8 cops didnt give me a problem then i sure hope none else will. haha... ferraris are louder write them a ticket! The car passed smog test so i think it's emmisions legal. i'll check the decible law tho, anyone have a link?

·
Registered
348 Posts
ppppfffttt cops will pull you over for loud exhaust. I have the SLP LM's and i got pulled over 2 days after installing them. ive also been pulled over for loud radio. im not sure, but dont they have to have a decibel meter to actually write you a ticket. im sure that law is area specific, but its just what i heard. but other than that one time i havent been messed with.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
JetBlack said:
You can tell if the cop just wants to look at your car. After he is done berating you for your loud exhaust, he steps back, eyes your car and says "So how do you like it?"
Had the same thing happen a couple of months back. Got pulled over for 39 in a 30. Trooper finished writing me up and then asked me how I liked the car. Told him "I liked it a lot more 10 minutes ago".

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
moose_knuckle said:
ppppfffttt cops will pull you over for loud exhaust. I have the SLP LM's and i got pulled over 2 days after installing them. ive also been pulled over for loud radio. im not sure, but dont they have to have a decibel meter to actually write you a ticket. im sure that law is area specific, but its just what i heard. but other than that one time i havent been messed with.
See... I told you they were loud :D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moose_knuckle said:
are those the slp ones that completely eliminate the mufflers? those are noisy as ****. lol, my dad just hauled ass passed my window he's giving his friend a ride in MY car lmao...:eyepoppin this is so cool.

·
Registered
450 Posts
jetblack

sorry to rain on yur parade, but.....
TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 9
VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
49-937. MUFFLERS, PREVENTION OF NOISE. (1) Every motor vehicle shall at
all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant
operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying smoke, and no
person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor
vehicle on a highway. When any motor vehicle was originally equipped with a
noise suppressing system or when any motor vehicle is required by law or
regulation of this state or the federal government to have a noise suppressing
system, that system shall be maintained in good working order. No person shall
disconnect any part of that system except temporarily in order to make
repairs, replacements or adjustments, and no person shall modify or alter that
system or its operation in any manner, except to conform to the manufacturer's
specifications. No person shall knowingly operate and no owner shall knowingly
cause or permit to be operated any motor vehicle originally equipped or
required by any law or regulation of the state or the federal government to be
equipped with a noise suppressing system while any part of that system is
disconnected or while that system or its operation is modified or altered in
any manner, except to conform to the manufacturer's specifications.
(2) The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so
equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or a
motorcycle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise of the vehicle
or motorcycle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the
vehicle by the manufacturer.
(4) A showing that the sound made by a passenger motor vehicle or
motorcycle exceeds the maximum allowable decibel level shall be prima facie
evidence of a violation of subsection (1) of this section.
(5) No person shall sell, offer for sale, or install any noise
suppressing system or device which will produce excessive or unusual noise.
The Idaho Code is made available on the Internet by the Idaho Legislature as a public service.
This Internet version of the Idaho Code may not be used for commercial purposes, nor may this
database be published or repackaged for commercial sale without express written permission.

Anything not stock is a no no here in idaho!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yea those are one in the same. I ran with no axle back for like a day, and that was very loud, but didnt sound all that great. ive learned how to drive my car a lot wiser though. i know most the cop hangouts so i drive at 2000 rpm. but then when they arent around i like the 3-5 range. sounds very nice. but then again ive been pulled over and i get 16.5mpg.

·
Registered
867 Posts
California law is 93 decibels. There is a specific distance from the exhaust, a specific angle and a specific rpm. In order to write it the cop has to actually measure it so it's not likely you'll get a ticket. I have the exact text somewhere - I'll see if I can find it. BTW - our local 1/8th mile track (stadium parking lot) has the same limitation and if you are too loud you can't run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts