Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing this due to the overwhelming threads started about their mustangs with these symptoms stated in this title. If you do a search on here you will find many threads started because of members stangs exhibiting these signs and almost 9/10 replies back to their problems is a faulty IAC valve or Idle air control valve. It seems this is a faulty unit from ford that can go bad as little as 20k miles or less. Mine went bad around 54k. Thankfully it is a relativitely cheap part to replace and very easy as well. If your car is showing these signs this is the first part I would replace after checking for loose vaccum lines or making sure the car has a good tune up. It has been discussed to pull the part off, shoot some carb cleaner in it and throw it back on. I did this, but it is only a band aid fix and will not last forever or really that long at all. If someone can post a pic of the IAC id appreciate it. I will try to describe it. It is a cylinder shape metal part that is attached to the plenum on the drivers side with 2 bolts. It has a vaccume line attached to it and an electrical connection. Do a search for more info, and if u have any questions feel free to ask them on this thread! Thanks

Brandon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,579 Posts
Thank you so much, brother! I've been getting sick of answering this question over and over again.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monkey Boy said:
Thank you so much, brother! I've been getting sick of answering this question over and over again.

No problem! :eyepoppin
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TwoTonedRoush said:
Thank you! I thought my diablo tune for my supercharger was off, thought it was a bad tune causing the bad idle thanks alot!

Did the IAC fix it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
IAC valve; idle issues

My wife has a 1998 GT auto. When it rains or after a rain, the car will not idle. It will run at a higher rpm but not idle. Otherwise it runs ok.

Could there be another issue besides the IAC valve?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
TwoTonedRoush said:
Thank you! I thought my diablo tune for my supercharger was off, thought it was a bad tune causing the bad idle thanks alot!
Was your car running lean? I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out my idleing problem. However, the car runs lean at cruise ant wot. :sosad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
dll1732 said:
My wife has a 1998 GT auto. When it rains or after a rain, the car will not idle. It will run at a higher rpm but not idle. Otherwise it runs ok.

Could there be another issue besides the IAC valve?
It can also be a dirty MAF sensor, just clean it with computer contact cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
Hotrodvdog said:
Was your car running lean? I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out my idleing problem. However, the car runs lean at cruise ant wot. :sosad:

If it's running lean, it's because of incorrect readings from your MAF.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
918 Posts
For a SOHC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,432 Posts
blackfang said:
For a SOHC
duhrr!

I was in the wrong section!




:sterb:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
918 Posts
kscoyote said:
duhrr!

I was in the wrong section!




:sterb:
Yeah the V6, SOHC, and DOHC are different.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
918 Posts
For those 4V guys, here is a 4V IAC and where it is located on the intake.
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
blackfang said:
For those 4V guys, here is a 4V IAC and where it is located on the intake.

Thanks, cant forget the 4v guys too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Hehehe my car started doing that the other day, but it's weird. I think mine just has alot of crap like oil residue in it because when the engines cold it doesn't like to idle but once its warm its fine. Lol it's funny because when its cold itll idle all low and try to stall but it makes it so you can hear the cams that I put in REALLY well. hawhawhaw
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
maddogg20 said:
Hehehe my car started doing that the other day, but it's weird. I think mine just has alot of crap like oil residue in it because when the engines cold it doesn't like to idle but once its warm its fine. Lol it's funny because when its cold itll idle all low and try to stall but it makes it so you can hear the cams that I put in REALLY well. hawhawhaw
That's how the IAC went on me, it started to idle low or stall when cold and then one day it just wouldn't start. It was a tempermental thing, worked when it wanted to but I got tired of getting stranded so I changed it and no problems since.
 
1 - 20 of 286 Posts
Top