Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth keeping your car if you've spent lots of time and money on it but there are still things continuously breaking down on it and while you're fixing one thing, another gets broken down? Sometimes I want to sell my car and get something brand new. Not necessarily a mustang but something else just so that it's under warranty and I don't have to worry about it. But at the same time, it would never ever sell for as much as I've put into it. I have a feeling that 94-98 sn95s would go for about $2000-$3000 depending on mileage, body and etc. But people generally don't take into consideration aftermarket parts and labor put into the car so you're essentially losing out on all that money in parts. Would you keep your car to continue fixing it up, having to worry about car troubles down the road or would you sell it to get a new one?

And if you're wondering, yes, this is what I'm considering right now. Thanks!

(if I do sell it, can I not post at this site anymore?) :shiny:

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I probably shouldn't give my opinion, since my method is to save first and buy only when I can pay for the new car in full. Because of this practice I haven't had any car payments in over 25 years. But if you can only get $2k to $3K for your Mustang, I would say keep it rather than sell it, and just buy the new car in addition. Once the Mustang is just your "hobby" car, it should see less miles and fewer things should break down. And you can take your time with repairs that do come up.

·
Registered
539 Posts
THat is the love of the car man. You will never get out what you put into a car. So what you ultimately end up with is a car the way you have made it or a new car that your just starting to make as you want it. I agree their is a time when starting with a new car and making it the way you want it is the best choice. But it all depends on the car you have. Is it close to the way you want it? Is starting anew a better option? Remember a new car will have less maint. to do but the up front cost of say a new mustang is $30,000. (GT of course.) If you put $30 carrots in to the ride you have now will it be as good as new and better? Meaning faster than stock, radio and speakers(maybe tv) the way you want them? Tires? Window tint? CAI? Exhaust? Intake? Etc. It's all about money and the love for the car. Could you love a new car with the mods you want? Could you afford this? Could you love the car you have now with mods? Can you afford upkeep and more mods? It's up to you. Give take. I personally clunked around in a 97 explorer until I could get me a new Mustang to start modding. Don't get me wrong the SUV had it's good points. Say the drive- in. (Yes I still have a drive in near and still LOVE going to them.) Taking a long trip with other. All the cargo room and space was great but no WOOT and no head turnning. So it ultimately is up to you man. I know what your saying been there. But it's your choice. Is it worth your time? Or start over?

·
Registered
786 Posts
What you describe it the ravages of time on EVERY mechanical object ever made. Newer cars do have the benifit of a warentee, but then you have a car payment. Just consider the money you spend on repairs as a car payment, and it all works out to be about the same. If began putting $300 a month aside for car repairs when they came up (just like you were making a car payment right?) when they came up, you wouldn't be out much, and if it went a while without a breakdown, then you have some "trick it out" money. It all depends on how much you love the style of the car. If it is just a way to get around, then by all means git rid of it. If you love it and think it is one of the coolest cars ever made, then plan on setting the money aside. It is one of the unfoutunate realities of life.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you can still post to this site. Why not?

Why don't you keep it and buy something else too? Warranties are great, but what happens when the car needs to be fixed? Sometimes they give you a loner, sometimes they don't.....
I was just joking about not posting on this site. I always poke my head in every now and again to see what's going on. :gringreen

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the posts guys. I do enjoy the car very much. I've been doing "major" projects on it at least once every year for the last 7 years that I've owned it. Some of them were due to worn out parts and needed to be done, some of them were just for the fact that they performed better than stock.

The comment made about making it the way I wanted it to be really hit home because driving a stock car just doesn't cut it for an enthusiast. I have thought about keeping anyway just because the 2 or 3 grand wasn't worth the sell, but then again, if I did get a new car, when would I ever take the mustang?

I guess after diagnosing a problem and thinking about fixing it up IS the joy of modding/owning a car for an enthusiast. It's just that sometimes I would like to NOT have to worry about it ya know? Anyways, I'd just thought I'd find out what people thought about it. It just seems wasted to me to put in so much effort but get not even a tenth of that in return when you want to sell it.

BTW, I haven't had a car payment on this car since 2002 so it's been REALLY nice :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for the posts guys. I do enjoy the car very much. I've been doing "major" projects on it at least once every year for the last 7 years that I've owned it. Some of them were due to worn out parts and needed to be done, some of them were just for the fact that they performed better than stock.

The comment made about making it the way I wanted it to be really hit home because driving a stock car just doesn't cut it for an enthusiast. I have thought about keeping anyway just because the 2 or 3 grand wasn't worth the sell, but then again, if I did get a new car, when would I ever take the mustang?

I guess after diagnosing a problem and thinking about fixing it up IS the joy of modding/owning a car for an enthusiast. It's just that sometimes I would like to NOT have to worry about it ya know? Anyways, I'd just thought I'd find out what people thought about it. It just seems wasted to me to put in so much effort but get not even a tenth of that in return when you want to sell it.

BTW, I haven't had a car payment on this car since 2002 so it's been REALLY nice :)
When you factor in the repairs/maintenance vs. car payments, also take into consideration fuel costs. A newer car could have better fuel economy while making more power. A newer car will hold its value longer also.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you factor in the repairs/maintenance vs. car payments, also take into consideration fuel costs. A newer car could have better fuel economy while making more power. A newer car will hold its value longer also.
I don't make repairs/maintenance every month...whereas car payments I would but I get what you're saying. But then again, I've never driven a "new" car. I bought this car in 2001 so by then it was already "old" and it was base so it didn't have any of the luxuries a new car would have.

I've just bought some new parts for it and that excitement of putting them in is coming back...I wouldn't be able to do that with a new car. Ultimately, if I were to purchase a new vehicle, I'd probably end up keeping this one as well.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'v always thought about this...

...the amount of time and money that I've spent on my V6 could add up to buying myself a 2003 SVT Cobra. I think about that a lot...and it makes me feel weird.

I would say you should keep her because like I said to my friend, "Don't mod your '91 Accord LX if you're thinking of selling her at this time. Trust me, you'll end up falling for her."

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would take it to a mechanic and have him check it out. You could even tell them that you are thinking about buying it and want to know how much it ould cost to fix it. If it would cost to much, sell it and get a newer Stang. That's what I did with my last car, it would have cost more to fix it than it was worth, so I traided it in on my new Stang.:gringreen

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm a DIYer so anything that's wrong with the car i'll do myself before ANY mechanic touches it. (Not saying anything bad about any mechanic, it's just that they always tend to lay crap on you that wasn't there before....hmmm....)

It just the actual worrying part itself that I could live without. Not knowing if the car is going to keel over and die without the money set aside to fix it, having to worry about transportation to and from important things like work and school, things like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.