Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I am not going to name, names but this has been on my mind since picking up my car 6/23.

I got the email from my salesman that the Pony is in the stable. I call him and tell him to get all the paperwork ready and I will be there by 8:30pm to pick it up. He says no problem and he will have the finance guy call me to go over everything so I can sign and drive.

I get the call from the finance guy and he goes over the rates and is really pushy about the fact that he is getting me a great deal and "I should just take it". Whatever the rate was ok for a 72month loan and I will refi anyway down the line. He then starts in on the extended warranty BS. "this is no economy car" "you will have problems" I am polite and tell him I will not be needing the warranty as I never keep a car past three years and plan on modding anyway. He says "I am not going to let you leave without the extended warranty on a car like this" I tell him we will talk when I get there.

I get to the dealer at 8:30pm with wife and daughter (6 and tired) in tow.

He give me the payment with the 7/75 extended included. I tell him no thank you I will not be needing it. He keeps pushing "its only $19 a month" "you need it" "you will be sorry". I ask him for the payment just for the car and he gives me the number and I say "that is what I want to pay" He says "fine see you in 4 years when you have a problem and no warranty".

My wife says I am so tired I am going to die can we get this over with "I joke and say don't die until after you sign the papers". Her car is in my name so my car went in her's)

I am getting pissed at this point but just want to go home. He starts in on the only $19 a month thing a again. I tell him, listen I am doing a personally funded debt consolidation and in 3 years will have all my debt paid off and do not care about spending cash on out of warranty repairs down the road plus I plan on super charging anyway at some point.

He says "well you must be the smartest guy in America then, I can't tell you anything"

At this point I am on fire inside and if I did not fear going to jail and my little girl was not there I would have laid his ass right out on the floor.

I keep my cool and say "lets just get this over with so I can get out of here". We sign the papers in silence and I go see the salesman to get my keys. My wife and daughter already left in my wife's car at this point.

On the way to my car I say to my salesman "you know that guy has a serious attitude problem and I will be going to the GM of the dealer about him tomorrow".

The salesman tells me how they had a verbal fight already earlier that day and then goes on to say that the finance guys wife did suddenly 6 months ago and he has had lots of problems since, three kids to take care of etc. I think about the comment I made to the wife and maybe it rubbed him the wrong way which explains some of his attitude, but I have never in my life been spoken to in that way and there is no excuse to EVER talk to a customer like that.

After hearing about his loss and keeping the wife dying comment I made in mind I decided to let it go but now a week and a half later I am still really pissed off about it.

If you made it this far in my story, what would you do?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just let it go and enjoy your new Stang. Life is too short. Dealerships are just there to show you the low point of owning the car.

So what did you get anyway? Pics??

·
Registered
260 Posts
Talk to the GM and owner if necessary. Bottom line is good customer service is very rare these days. Most sales and service people are indifferent, but that doesn't give them the right to treat customers like crap. They do it because they can get away with it, as too many of us say nothing. If more folks stand up for themselves and not accept poor treatment, those attitudes will change.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
While my temper has sometimes got the best of me over the years, I've learned to ask this question before taking action over such matters: By taking action, what could I reasonably expect to accomplish?

Since you have your car already, you're not taking your business elsewhere. If the story about his wife is not B.S., then complaining about it can only serve to further torture an already tortured soul.

Kiss your wife and daughter, and go enjoy the car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sorry for the long post....but it has a point I swear

First I would be the bigger man and step up and write to him. Apologize about the comment you made, saying afterwords you had heard about his wife passing. Then also come back to him and say that you will not take back anything concerning the "extended warrenty." Tell him you didn't appreceate his agressive nature and deamenor when you stated that you will not take the extended warrenty and that it puts you in a hard stance to keep this away from the GM and Dealer's attention. This will accomplish to things:

A it will clear your mind of guilt for the comment made to your wife.

B it will also stress your point, in writing no less, of why you felt so wronged and it will make him take a step back and look at his actions.

Now I had an issue with a GM at the dealership of which I've ordered my TWO GTs from. He had called me several weeks ago and said to STOP CALLING CUSTOMER SERVICE. He was tired of having to talk to Ford about why I was constantly calling CS. He specifically told me not to call them again and to wait until THEY get word on where the cars are. I appologiezed for having made his life harder. Now a week later MY WIFE calls CS and finds out the cars are still on hold and CS is having Corporate get into the mess. I decided that I'm going to talk to this guy and let him know what the HE## is going on and ask why he or anyone else there isn't stepping up to put pressure on corporate. We still don't have an ETA even now.....but he starts getting aggressive and accuses me of calling him a liar. I said no, but with that attitude I'm going to cancel both my orders and find another dealer. He says ok let me get the paperwork done, but then goes on to say, no you just go talk to your inside man and have him handle it. "I've got 16 years as a dealer, and what makes you think you know any better than I do?"

I stormed out, gave my salesman a quick thing saying I'm cancelling my order, and he can blame it on his GM. Now I've got money down on these cars and so my wife and I decide we're going to get our money back. We come in and started talking to our salesman. He had been expecting us and was glad we came in. He then made up for his GM's idiocy and then went on to get his sales manager involved as well. I frankly told both of them, "he lost your sale, you recovered it, BUT IF I EVER TALK TO HIM AGAIN, THE SALE IS OVER. PERIOD. NO DISCUSSION."

What I didn't tell the GM is that my dad has had over 40 years in the car business and that he was a General Motors Dealer, a member of the Legion of Leaders (top 10% of the salesmen sell 90% of the cars), and a F/L/M GM as well. One thing he taught me was that you NEVER MAKE A CUSTOMER MAD! everyone knows at least 250 people, and they will tell everyone their experiences, both good and bad.

Needless to say a few days later my salesman told me he is no longer with the dealership. Wish him well in another line of work. a long story but they kept my business....for now.

Moral is the customer is ALWAYS RIGHT, even when wrong. :worship:worship:worship you do the best to handle the situation, but you treat them with care. :smartass:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I work for a Dearler and just recentley picked up my Mustang. I know how the system works. The only way the finace department/finace people make money is by selling you the extended warrenty/protection package/rust prevention etc. Thats how they make money. Unfortunatly this guy overvalued his comition over customer service. Some people are better then others. When i went in to see the finace woman at the dealer, i appologized and acknowledge that she was not going to make any money on this sale because i was going to have all the work done at the dealer i work for. She was very polite and completley understoon my stand point.

The biggest thing that matters to a dealer is CSI (Customer Satasfaction Index) both in Sales and service. As soon as you bring up that CSI and how much you would like to give your dealer and strong CSI, they will change their tone.

Just a word of adivce.

·
Registered
927 Posts
wow now thats pressure. my finance guy was wayy better. he asked me about the warranty and i said no. he said you don't feel the need for it? i said: nope. and that was it, no questions asked. that guy sounds like a total ****, i can't honestly say that i wouldn't blow up on this guy and say LOOK I DO NOT WANT THE WARRANTY NOW GET ME THE CAR.

G

·
Let it go.....

Few things going on here...

1.Sales are way down month of June-----F&I guy makes his living selling cheese (warranty)

2.His wife just died, and his life is probably a mess----

3. If it was me? i would have told him to STFU already about the Extended warranty or im walking from the deal all together-----That would have set him straight right from the get-go

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I buy a lot of cars and have many different experiences. That is why I work mostly with one dealer now. They know me and know not to give me the BS talk. If I want the warranty, I will tell them.

It is amazing though. The one car I bought away from this dealer (wife's 300C), the Finance guy had built all the stupid little extras and the warranty into the payment. I financed 1/3 of the car and the payment was like I financed over 1/2 when he quoted it. I was like, WTF? He had added $4K worth of crap in. I told him to remove it immediately or I was walking. It was also late, about 8:30 on a Friday night on a holiday weekend, so we both wanted to get out of there. But I was also the only sale of the DAY! I ended up paying cash for the warranty at 1/3 of the quoted price and had him remove all the other BS. So he made a little and my Chrysler is covered for 100K. I'll probably need it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would politely talk to the GM still. If this guy is having emotional issues about his wife he might need to take some time off. It may sound cold hearted but customer's don't care about the sales staff's baggage. That must be checked at the door no matter how horrible. They need to be there selling an experience and a product, not pissing of customers who keep cars for 3 years at a time. If I were him I would be thinking $$$, I want to earn business from you in 3 years. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Who gives a crap about that? Why waste your time with the GM? He's probably the guy egging him on to bug everybody about the warranty. You've already bought the car. What's the GM's downside in this affair? Like he gives a sh*t about you complaining about the finance guy. He'll probably tell him he should've tried harder since you didn't buy. His job is to sell you the warranty. Your job is to say no, over and over and over if need be. Its like a waiter/waitress who tries to sell you appetizers and dessert. You didn't buy it and that's all that matters. Enjoy your car. Important rule of life: never try to outpiss a skunk.

·
Registered
234 Posts
As a Finance Manager, I really hated to read this story as I knew what it was going to be about.

Sorry you had to go through that argetni. I never do that to my customers. The products are there, if you see a value in them, then buy them. Simple as that! I certainly don't badger people or jam stuff into their payment!

This guy certainly didn't know what he was doing. You don't talk crap about the car, let alone be condescending to the customer. Jeesh! What a way to blow the whole deal.

I wouldn't bother going to the GM or the DP. A waste of time. They may be pressuring the guy to hit targets. They're the worst offenders. Put your comments in the Survey. Thats what makes an impact...CSI scores!!

Enjoy the ride! It's a beautiful car you have there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a similar experience to the original poster when I bought my 2003 Dodge 3500 RAM. Paid cash for it, but they insisted I talk to the finance guy. After listening for a few moments. I shut him down and told the salesman to either fix this or I was walking. It was fixed.

Taylor

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.