Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my experience with everyone so that if you are looking to get a protective film on your mustang you make an informed decision. About a year ago I had Ultimate Auto Protection (UAP) in Calgary install an xpel ultimate protective film on my car, it was about $1050, lifetime warranty and self healing. Unfortunately only a few months after the install this happened (see pictures)

Rather than honoring their warranty UAP blamed me for these issue telling me i've been using car wash (which everyone in Alberta does...) it's also clean on the xpel website that using a car wash is completely fine as long as you wait 48 hours after the install (I waited 1 week). Xpel is also refusing to cover those defects.
So here it is... warranties aren't worth much if not honored...

Anyone else on here got issues with xpel or UAP?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
may I suggest you pursue a small claims case of fraud against these guys (non-attorney here)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that already and served it but ive been at work (camp) for a while so I didn't complete everything with the court yet

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I'd like to come in and address this thread to provide the complete account of our dealings.

I had a booth at the 2016 International Car and Truck show where I had been running a promotion that if you booked with me during the show, you could receive up to 35% off the install price, by leaving a deposit. "t3ch" saw this promotion but did not book in at that time.

"t3ch" first contacted me through my personal Facebook several months later to wrap his Ford Mustang after seeing my work on another Mustang owners car, not realizing I, and the booth at the car show, were one and the same. He then initiated his request by insisting I beat or match my own promotional price, that was only valid during the show, saying it was a recent quote he'd received.

I pleasantly informed him who I was, that he was mistaken, but was willing to work with him as he was a fellow Mustang enthusiast (I myself have owned 5, 5.0L Foxbodies). I agreed to discount my price 30%.

When he dropped off the car, it was brought to my attention that he, or someone, had tried to unprofessionally remove old existing 3M film, managing to leave all the glue behind. Removing this took approx. 4 hours but again, I offered that service at a huge discount, 50%, as he was so insistent on the price not changing and I was trying to be as accommodating as possible.

A couple weeks after the install was completed he contacted me saying he didn't like how the bumper kits and mirrors were two pieces and it wasn't up to his expectations. I explained to him that the DAP patterns are created that way to accommodate the 90degree angle on to the upper deck of the front bumper, and that's the only way to get maximum coverage. There are no other kit options available. He remained insistent that this was unacceptable. Unfortunately, there was, and remains, nothing I can do to rectify this.

A few months later "t3ch" contacted me again to say he had damaged his film and I was to warranty it 100%. He showed me the photos which used to be posted above. I pleasantly explained to him to the best of my abilities that the warranty does not cover physical damage, only inherent issues with the film itself such as yellowing that 3M is famous for, or cracking and blistering ect. Here is the entire warranty as set out by Xpel:

"Warranty Coverage
XPEL warrants XPEL ULTIMATE™ / STEALTH™ Paint Protection Film to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ten (10) years from the date of purchase. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating. This warranty does not extend coverage to damage caused by normal wear and tear, road debris impact, accidents, collisions or intentional damage of any kind."

His damage was caused by the use of a pressure washer at too close of proximity to the film. It is explained in detail, and common sense, that the tip of pressure washers can be upwards of 6000psi at some high-pressure car washes. They are used to strip graffiti paint from cement and barnacles from boat hulls. Simple adhesive backed polyurethane cannot withstand this pressure. Would you put your hand in front of the tip? I should hope not. Therefore, in order to remove baked-on bug contaminants, it is recommended to scrub them off, not blast them off, as any marring by scrub brushes or mitts will be corrected by the films self-healing properties.

Regardless of this, I agreed to contact Xpel and see what could be done. They responded with a denial. "t3ch" then contacted Xpel Corporate with the photos, and again, he was denied. Left with little options, "t3ch" began threatening and harassing me, insisting I replace it. Trying to go above and beyond and show him my commitment to resolving this issue, I offered to replace the damaged pieces for a total of $80, to help cover some of the cost of materials. He then threatened to sue me. And he did. And he assaulted my Facebook business profile. Regardless of this, my $80 offer still stood.

I hope this sheds some light on to the true happenings of this dealing. I try to conduct business in the most honest and professional manner that I can. I take great pride in my customer satisfaction and quality of installation, and every single other glowing review stands testimony to that. But as a business, I cannot be held liable for the improper care of the products I sell.

Truly,

Renee
UAP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first would like to update everyone on here that I ended up winning in small court(mediation) and UAP fixed the damages for free. Now let's address Renee's post because once again she is being very unprofessional and outright lying.
So first of all the offer she gave me is $349 to fix the damages NOT $80 (and if needed I will post screenshots of our conversation). Xpel NEVER believed it was caused by a high pressure washer and they rather believed it was caused by rocks , then UAP firmly believed it was pressure washer, thing is no where does Xpel prevent the use of pressure washer then even confirmed with me it was ok, not as regard to improper use I would like to add I have used pressure washer properly, the same way since I own cars and I have never caused any damages INCLUDING to the 3M film that used to be on the mustang for many years. Ok so now that this is out of the way it is completely in my right to negotiate for a price especially I did indeed receive other offers so I was shopping around. Also regarding my complains for the cuts it was fair I have the right to not like the way it looked I am not obligated to love it and after the cuts were redone with the repairs it looks much much better which shows the original cuts were not up to snuff. Now regarding the "assaulting" of your UAP Facebook if you mean leaving a review... I will let people here judge if that's "assaulting". Now something I would really like to point out is the service manager of KIA asked me the Facebook conversations with Renee for review, after reviewing then he told me he couldn't believe how unprofessional Renee was thoward me and that she did not work for UAP anymore, so who's lying here? Renee? The service manager? Someone is and that just adds to the many reasons why I would never recommend anyone uses UAP. I also want to remind everyone this issue has already been taken care of in court so I am not sure why Renee felt she needed to bring this up again many months later, she really cannot accept criticism which is a huge red flag for a business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi 't3ck',

The initial quote I gave you was for the total price of the bumper replacement. The $80 was what I offered you as peace offering later after Xpel denied the claim. What Xpel believed was that there were small tears in the film due to rocks, and the exaggerated damage thereafter due to the pressure washer in those lifted areas.*edit* From your own previous post, you mentioned Xpel believed the damage was caused by rocks. This is explicitly laid out as not covered in the warranty as I posted before, and any repair they offered was in goodwill to settle.

"Warranty Coverage
XPEL warrants XPEL ULTIMATE™ / STEALTH™ Paint Protection Film to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for ten (10) years from the date of purchase. Covered defects include: yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating. This warranty does not extend coverage to damage caused by normal wear and tear, road debris impact, accidents, collisions or intentional damage of any kind."

As stated it is more than acceptable to use pressure washers when washing XPEL film, just not in too close of proximity or it can cause tears. This is why your claim was denied, not by me, but by Xpel.

In my account, there was no lying, simple statement of facts to get both sides. The company you filed a suit against was Eastside Kia who I was working for at the time. If they agreed to settle and fix the issues outside of court that's wonderful. I was not involved in those proceedings. I just came here to express the dealings that led up to this post while I worked for Eastside, under their direction to not offer you a refund or warranty.

Since then I have left Eastside to independently own and run UAP. Therefore it was important to me to post here as it sheds a negative light on my company and I do truly value my customers continued satisfaction with their products quality and installation.

Truly,
Renee

·
Registered
550 Posts
There sure is a lot of this 'he said/ she said' stuff going down these days.

Ummm......agree to disagree? I'm just glad The Donald didn't get involved or we wouldn't be able to turn on the television without 56 minutes of every hour being dedicated to the grave matter. Sounds like everyone should be about done with this as his car is fixed and she's moved on.

Time to kiss and make up. (Oops, would that now be considered some kind of harassment?)

Wishing all concerned the best for the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are totally right. I have moved on that's why I didn't even come to reply to this thread and forgot it even existed. She however didn't move on as her private message just proved to me

·
Registered
550 Posts
In any case, it's not like you or I will ever get to actually drive our cars again.
Can you believe this crappy weather we are getting? Just finished shoveling.

What a place to live. If it ever warms up enough to know a guy can make the
trip it might be a good idea to head to Beechkid's place and live the life.

Got room, Beechkid?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I know it's definitely not tomorrow we'll the the stang out, at least I've got a pretty good consolation price and that's why I drive a JDM WRX STI Type R in the winter, every bit as fun, just a different fun ;)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yeah I know it's definitely not tomorrow we'll the the stang out, at least I've got a pretty good consolation price and that's why I drive a JDM WRX STI Type R in the winter, every bit as fun, just a different fun ;)
Ha, ha. What's that old saying about 'great minds'?

My winter car is a 2012 STi hatch. A bunch of stuff on it as well. In fact, the only reason I absolutely had to supercharge the mustang was because the Subaru was faster. Big problem there. Love the sound of a boxer motor with a decent exhaust on it. Deep like a small V8. And you're right. Just a different kind of fun.

I have to admit I originally thought there might be two sides to your problem. But, now that I know your vehicle choices, I guess I think you're a solid citizen and a straight shooter. (Just threw that in to stir the pot. Please disregard, everyone. Just kidding.)

Happy winter, bud. Pray for chinooks.

All the best. happyfeet.gif

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts
Annnd we are done!closed.gif2

Reactions: B.Cooper
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.