Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

It Is Up To The Members Please Help

2K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  zregime 
#1 ·
First I would like to thank everybody in advance for thier replys...:worship :worship
So...here is the situation...I currently own a 2005 GT automatic coupe...Today at work ( Im a sales manager @ a Ford dealer) I see that Ford is offering $1500 Dealer cash on 2005 V6 coupes and convertibles....:eyepoppin :eyepoppin
My GT is a base model with auto only...no leather and no shaker...:sosad:
So I look to see what we have and I come across a 2005 V6 Vert Mineral Grey ...Leather... Shaker 500 active Anti theft..spinner wheels...drove it home to let the wife look at it...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...she says...do what you want...:drool: :drool:
Now for the Money part...Im NOT having a problem with the payments however my payment will go down almost $100.00 per month...THIS IS NOT A MISPRINT....:happyhapp :happyhapp
The power is of course is not what im used to..but..how often do I need the 300 ponies...and I get a Vert and the shaker..I will go with the majoritie rules theory...so..here is your chance to make the decision..let me know..V6vert or Base GT...I need to make the call by Monday...Thanks for your help:worship :worship :worship

#2 ·
WOW ..I'm a ragtop man all the way but also a muscle head first & formost. Depending how much top down cruising you can do ...Naw ..forget it ..IMO ..Keep the GT ..the power etc. 2 totally different cars but the GT is pure american Muscle all the way.

PS- you could ALWAYS get leather & a nicer stereo down the road..in fact you could probably get OEM leather seats & shakers that guys swap out on ebay or the like.

#3 ·
I used to be a Ford Tech, and I did a lot (and I mean a LOT) of work on the 4.0 SOHC when it came out. I would like to say that Ford has resolved all the issues in the past few years, but I would recommend you shy away from the V6. But then again, if you will not keep the car after the warranty is up and really want a convertible, well....

#4 ·
A hard choice but if i had to choose between the V8 or convertible, it would be the motor. Keep the GT coupe.

And depending on who you run with, the V6 vert might be considered a Lady-stang.

The convertible is a lot of fun but nothing beats that undeniable evil-V8-smile.

#6 ·
I started with the 6, and ended up with the 8. I vote to keep the 8. :)

#7 ·
Good Lord, are we really talking about this? :)

Keep the V-8.

You know the older, pre '05 models? I thought they were all removeable hardtops, when I first saw them. What's with that gap between the roof and the rear quarter? If they were removeable, I might have bought one then and be kicking myself now.
If Ford made a hardtop for the 'vert, I would be all for it so you can have the best of both worlds without having to work on your canva$ every few year$. Besides, I think the roofline on the coupe looks killer and the roofline on the 'vert looks... well.... like a convertible.

#8 ·
Bobby: If I'm reading between the lines of your post well enough...you have this vision of the top down, cruising around St. Michael's on a warm spring day of about 70 degrees, gettin' the full effect of the sun and the Bay, cool shades on...A Man And His Pony...you want that Vert, you old sea dog...go ahead and get it.

I'm biased toward the Sixer, of course, and I do covet more HP as much as the next guy...but you're lustin' after that ragtop and nothin' is gonna ease that desire except you gettin' one...

So says a fellow Free Stater...

#9 ·
zregime said:
Bobby: If I'm reading between the lines of your post well enough...you have this vision of the top down, cruising around St. Michael's on a warm spring day of about 70 degrees, gettin' the full effect of the sun and the Bay, cool shades on...A Man And His Pony...you want that Vert, you old sea dog...go ahead and get it.

I'm biased toward the Sixer, of course, and I do covet more HP as much as the next guy...but you're lustin' after that ragtop and nothin' is gonna ease that desire except you gettin' one...

So says a fellow Free Stater...
Pasadena?!?! Holy bovine... I grew up in Severna Park [17 years worth] and what is this talk of St. Michaels? Is the Crab Claw restaurant still there? As a youngun, I used to go there from Maryland crabs and the Old Bay would *burn* my mouth so bad!!!! First ingredient used to be cayenne pepper. Speaking of that, in the harbor, right there, I once T-boned an America's cup yacht,at the age of 7, in my little sailboat. It was late evening and I was going over to look at it, got too close and didn't make the turn :happyhapp

[BONK]

It was like an anthill had gotten kicked over. The whole crew came boiling up from below when they heard it. Fortunately, they thought it was adorable, this little kid in a tiny homemade punt with a homemade mast/boom/sail [that was waaaayyy too big]. I can still remember my humiliation. Here are some of the greatest sailors in the world and I ram them, at anchor, in a calm harbor!

The tie in? The boat's name was the Cayenne and it was painted deep burgundy.

#10 ·
Great story, JB...good skills! (The writing, not the boating.) :)

#11 ·
What are the benefits of downgrading for you? I frankly do not see many, except for the lower payments. Majority rules because it is the easy and cheapest way to own a mustang. However, you now have an elite car. Maybe later you can enjoy a convertible, GT of course.

#12 ·
How often would you really get to put the top down? All depends on the weather. Sometimes too hot, sometimes too cold, sometimes raining or other inclement weather. However, with the GT you get the power and the sound and the rush ever time you get in it. No matter what the weather. Keep the V8!

#13 ·
Black06 said:
I used to be a Ford Tech, and I did a lot (and I mean a LOT) of work on the 4.0 SOHC when it came out. I would like to say that Ford has resolved all the issues in the past few years, but I would recommend you shy away from the V6. But then again, if you will not keep the car after the warranty is up and really want a convertible, well....
Do you have any recent experience with the 05+ Mustang 4.0? I abuse my 4.0 on a very regular basis... no issues yet... I'm just getting tired of everyone saying my motor is going to fly apart with the additon of any extra bolt-ons... I mean if it's not the timing chains, it's the pistions... if it's not the pistons it's the head gaskets... 30 passes at the track, over a dozen dyno pulls and a probably 8 or 10 bottles and the car is still running as strong as ever...

Back to the subject at hand... tough choice... very tough choice... there are days when I miss my Vert.. (02 GT Vert) but I like the hardtop too... I would have to say stay with the GT but then again tomorrow I might say go for the Vert!

#14 ·
I would never give up my GT for a V6. While the V6 I testdrove was nice, the GT is pure, unadulterated exhiliration. I waited 2 months to get it, but it was time well spent. While the 100$ a month in savings is significant, it is offset somewhat by the higher resale and rarer nature of the GT. Also, the CR reliability ratings of the V6 are much lower than the GT.

#15 ·
I love my vert on perfect to almost perfect days. How many of those do you have in MD? Jet Black, everytime I read your sig, I laugh. :laughlitt

#16 ·
To hell with this.

I waited. I watched. I wasn't going to post. I've seen the direction this board goes everytime someone posts anything regarding V6 vs. GT.

Then I saw zregime's post. That man is proud of his car. I'm proud of mine too. So here goes. My impassioned answer to your question.

There is something inherent in a man that requires him to want and need a GT. I've felt it. Especially when people admire my Jess, then have the audacity to ask "GT?" Screw you. Everything you might have just said complimenting my girl is out the window now, pal, because by asking that one tiny question you've basically implied that if she's not, then there's something wrong with her.

Well there isn't. If you are the type of man who's moved beyond the need for validation from others, get the car you want, which I have a funny feeling is the V6. No one else is gonna say it, so I will.

The car you are describing is the twin of my Jessica. I will say this once, and only once, then let the flames begin.

There is NO WAY in hell I would give up my ragtop for a (expletive here)ing GT. None. No way. No how.

If someone on this board can't understand that? Screw 'em. I've owned GT's. The power's nice, but it is nothing compared to th exhileration of the sun on your face and the wind in your hair.

And that's just during the day!!! My favorite time to drive her with it down is night, under a full (or near full) moon, with the stereo off down some backwoods, winding road through the Okefenokee. Crickets singing, frogs bellowing, and God smiling down. Maybe some John Bonamassa or Robert Johnson playing quietly in the background.

My God, I need to go for a drive. Get the V6, brother. To hell with everyone else.:cool:

#17 ·
Heh.

sandyman said:
I love my vert on perfect to almost perfect days. How many of those do you have in MD? Jet Black, everytime I read your sig, I laugh. :laughlitt
It is, like, the best signature ever.:worship

#18 ·
OK lets be serious about this. I am from arlington, va so I am pretty close to you. I have an 05 gt vert (which i love) but the weather in this area isn't the greatest for having a convertible. In the summer it is 90+ degrees and humid as hell and in the winter it is cold and rainy. Yes ok it happens to be 58 and sunny today but this weather is a fluke. The only time I really enjoy having the top down is on cool spring and fall evenings. It isn't fun sweating in your car during the summer as the sun bakes down on you.

So my vote is to keep the gt and like someone said earlier but a new stereo or better yet an in-dash nav system. Either way you can't really go wrong though. Good luck!

#20 ·
Vert vs. GT

Well here is my two cents. Of course I live in California, but I have been a ragtop man since I bought my MGB in the '80's (which I still have). I test drove the GT coupe and was about to make a deal, but I wanted to at least see a Vert. When I did, I did not hesitate. I went for the Vert, I grant I have the best of both worlds becasue I have a GT Vert, however, I paid for it dearly being on the west coast. Yet, no regrets, I LOVE MY VERT!!! I agree, the HP is very nice, but the thrill of the wind through my hair and sun on my face, and of course the looks from others, yep, I am a happy man. So though I am a bit biased, my vote is the Vert.

#21 ·
+2 votes here for the keeping the GT.

(My wife voted with me on this one!...ah yes, I have two cars/so two votes)

#22 ·
I have a GT, I'd keep the GT. I have an illness,however, that you may not have. If you do not have this illness, get the V6. I supersize at Mc ds not because I'm hungry, but because it's less than a buck more.I eat Tbone steaks instead of New York Strip because who wants 1/2 a steak?When refueling I can't stop at the first click,it's always second or third.I didn't need a 48" mowing deck, but 42" was less. Less is not more...if a little is good, more is better. There is NOTHING wrong with a V6,unless you have this illness! Those who mod are very ill and need our prayers-they supersize and get a quarterpounder for dessert,they eat the Porterhouse,they smoke while topping off the tank, and they mow with John Deere batwings. Hey-they're both Mustangs, you can't go wrong!

#23 ·
OP ... I'm getting that you like both so instead of dropping your payment by 100...raise it by 50 & for for a GT Vert ....90+% of any muscle car I have ever owned is a convertible.

Much more visceral experience Top down & 300+ ponies rumbling under hood ...OK well in my case close to 500 LOL

Nothing compares IMO to Top Down pedal mashing except Motorcycle's or A/C Cobra's or Vipers ..etc...

No offense but to me V6 cruising is the realm of Sebrings & Saabs

#24 ·
Here's the questions you need to be asking yourself ... are you driving the car for the options it has? Or are you driving the car, cause of the guts it's made out of? Say for instance, you pull up in your vert next to a GT ... and one of two things will come to your head ... 1. "man I wish I had a GT again" ... or 2. "he/she has a nice car, but I still love mine." If it's the latter, go for the 6. If it's not, you know what the answer is.

#25 ·
DrDoom said:
There is NO WAY in hell I would give up my ragtop for a (expletive here)ing GT. None. No way. No how.
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

BOO YAH!!!

#26 ·
DrDoom said:
It is, like, the best signature ever.:worship
LOL! Thanks :) That was from a very old [late '80's!] internet website about R/C airplanes called "Crash Stories". They were hilarious. I died several times laughing about them digging trenches with their airplanes. One guys ran a little long, on his first ever, perfect landing where he didn't have to rebuild the plane. It ran long enough to get to the road and an ambulance drove over it.

Another guy's antenna keeper broke and the antenna sprung forward into the propeller cutting off the last two inches of it. Now optimized for the wrong frequency, it headed off to see what freedom was like over the open ocean.

Another installed his radio switch facing the wrong way so when he was taking off and hit a little clump of grass, it turned the switch off. It did loops for several minutes until doing a perfect "figure 9" into the parking lot. Grimace.

Back then, the internet had no ads on it. No banners, no flashing crap on top. However, you paid by the hour, to use it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.