Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank everyone who ever posted, or contributed to, a thread on how to remove and replace spark plugs on a 2005 GT. I haven't changed a set of plugs since the Ford Administration and I have been following some of the less than successful stories about changing the plugs in these particular models. So with fear and trepidation I decided to make this a DIY project. Thanks to the many "how to" directives and other helpful information, I was able to arm myself with everything I needed to make this a successful journey. I now understand the necessity of an air compressor, PB Blaster, and anti-seize compound. Thanks to all the information on this form I was able to complete the R&R in slightly less than an hour without any complications (although the old sparkplugs squeaked all the way out). As I suspected they were due to be changed and I got rid of the low end miss that I thought may have been caused by the old plugs. Thanks again to everyone on this forum for taking time to pass on useful information.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,869 Posts
I want to thank everyone who ever posted, or contributed to, a thread on how to remove and replace spark plugs on a 2005 GT. I haven't changed a set of plugs since the Ford Administration and I have been following some of the less than successful stories about changing the plugs in these particular models. So with fear and trepidation I decided to make this a DIY project. Thanks to the many "how to" directives and other helpful information, I was able to arm myself with everything I needed to make this a successful journey. I now understand the necessity of an air compressor, PB Blaster, and anti-seize compound. Thanks to all the information on this form I was able to complete the R&R in slightly less than an hour without any complications (although the old sparkplugs squeaked all the way out). As I suspected they were due to be changed and I got rid of the low end miss that I thought may have been caused by the old plugs. Thanks again to everyone on this forum for taking time to pass on useful information.
Oh yeah looks like it was for sure time for a change. Lots of info on here and lots of scary info as the more I read the more I was like hmm don't know if I want to do this. I bought my last 06 GT with I think around 68-70K miles and bought the spark plugs after putting an intake and tune on the car as it would never quite run right when intake and tune were on, but would run perfect when stock and I figured plugs were my problem. Well ended up selling the part and then shortly after around 1.5-2 years I sold the car with around 100K miles and passed the plugs onto the new owner. haha Myself and even my mechanical friends wouldn't touch it with the horror stories and not sure what we would get into. Glad you were braver than us!! :wink:

·
Registered
734 Posts
When i decided to do plugs i went and got them without looking it up, and then got home and started reading, then i went and returned the plugs and took it to the dealer so they would be on the hook for a new head if it seized. After reading the stories, i was happier to not be the one chancing dropping a plug end into the cylinder, or ripping out the threads.... I got a tech there to break it down, they at the dealer are so terrified of doing them, they soak them for 2 hours in anti-seize/penetrating oil, then 1/8 turn them, and repeat, possibly several times if they are not moving well. Took them a whole day to do mine and i was first in line when they opened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts