Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've been getting lots of thumbs up and compliments on the car in the last month that I've owned it. Gotten a few guys at gas station fill ups wanting to check it out, see under the hood, etc.... people at drive through windows and what not..

Seems like everyone loves it that I've talked to except for one person. My wife.

She admits that it IS a nice car and much better than my 97 was but she says that she just doesn't "get" everyone oogling over it. she says "It's only a mustang. There are tons of them on the road." is her comment.

She's just bewildered as to why people drool at it like it's a Ferrari.

Now.. I'm not going to kid myself by thinking I've got some rare or special car that no one else has but my argument to her is that it's an icon. A classic design and shape that is timeless and for countless people out there, they grew up with their parents, grandparents and friends owning these cars that became an icon of american style.

To which her reply is always "but it's still just a mustang. I see them every day"

I think that the big caveat to her argument is that she does not see my car and the old 60s' mustangs in the same light... She really DOES like the old ones (we left the church after getting married in a 69 winter blue Mach 1 leaving 2 strips of rubber about 40 feet down the street) but I think it's more of liking the exclusivity of the old ones more so than anything. they're a lot less common. I think for what I paid for this car, I could have gotten a nicely maintained or restored 60's stang but after owning 2 14 year old volvos, I am tired of working on cars against my will and just want something I can get in and drive and know will work and have a warranty. Owning an older car that would require some TLC to get up to snuff just is not really what I'm wanting right now.

that'll probably end up being a mid life crisis toy I suspect.

Anyways... I was just curious if you guys had similar comments from friends or family. I'm not butthurt over this or anything. she likes it but she doesn't think that it's ALL THAT like I do.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yeah the allure is kind of lost with my girlfriend. In fact I often get told about how this is a ********* car. The very first day I got mine I took it to the grocery store. I had an entire family stop by to look at the car. They teenage son said it all. When i told him it cost about $24k he asked why would anybody buy a $50k escalade when you could have a mustang?

·
Registered
203 Posts
As a 2011 owner I have to say I feel about the same as she does. Yes it is a awesome car to drive and it turns heads where ever it goes. but the look on peoples faces when they ask "So you park this in winter" and i reply no i just put the snow tires on it and drive it if i have to. (i have a truck for most winter driving) After all I say to them "It's just a Mustang" not a Shelby or a GT40." then they get that look like i am nuts and I add "I want to get as much seat time in her before Dec 2012 and the end of days ya know."
But if you enjoy the car for any reason that is totally wonderful and please keep doing it as it make you happy and a Happy Driver is a good thing to have on the road vs a crabby driver.. lol :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
people that dont understand cars and know very little about them are like that. I remember when i got the boss intake manifold installed and showed my friends they were all like wow it looks great and it sounds great. my girlfriend.. it looks the same as it did before...when i got ghost cam tune my friends were amazed and loved the sound. my girlfriend told me that it sounds the same but it shakes a little.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
yeah get it alot too, people yelling "nice car" as I drive by, people staring the car up and down (like its a bikini model lol) at redlights

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I think it's a female thing. I get the same thing from my wife. However, when she's in the car and I have to pull out into traffic she momentarily understands when the G forces bounces her head off the head rest!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think it's a female thing. I get the same thing from my wife. However, when she's in the car and I have to pull out into traffic she momentarily understands when the G forces bounces her head off the head rest!
LOL I love that...
What I call the three point stance of sudden acceleration.
One hand on the door a foot planted in the passengers footwell and the other hand scabbling of grip near the console.
Oh and then i get that look and a smirk. LOL Yup just a mustang.... and its all good :):yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dad is a car guy but he is on the other side of the world when it comes to likes/dislikes. He actually used to have an old mustang that got totalled and he's a fan of fast cars but he has fallen into the group of older guys who prefer european refined power and luxury vs the american speed.

He's ridden around in my car a couple of times and says it sounds great and thinks that ford has done amazing things with the interior quality and overall feel of the car but he still doesn't like the rough around the edges aspects of the car.... like the slight jerk or lurch the transmission can give when the clutch is let out too quickly or too slowly or at the wrong rpm and even stock, he didn't like the ride quality... said it was bumpy and uncomfortable and said that the new suspension only makes it more uncomfortable. right now, he's got a 2011 E350, last car was a 2008 E class and the car before that was a BMW 450i.

So I understand where he's coming from.

My wife really likes the 335i though and I drove a few of them when I was shopping around and honestly, yeah they're quick but I felt like they lack any sort of exclusiveness just as much as the mustang... Every spoiled little sorority girl in town has a 325, my dad's wife has a 325, my brother just got a 325, my wife's dad has a 330ci..... In addition to that, it really was not that inspiring of a car. it didn't get my adrenaline going, it didn't have the exhaust sound, it's not a car I felt comfortable modding or working on due to them just plain being a bear to work on even the simplest mods and I also felt like it was just a fragile car that would most likely not be something I could keep past it's warranty period. My mechanic that specializes in european cars said that he heard through his sources at a couple of dealers that BWM's turbo 6 cylinder engine was not designed to last more than 100K miles and the whole fuel pump failure thing was another issues all together.

no thanks.

So the exclusiveness logic my wife has seems to have some holes in it.

If you ask me, I'm willing to bet that she doesn't like it because it's one more thing that I'm spending money on.

But she should know by now that no matter what I drive, it's not going to stay stock.

G

·
0 Posts
I was driving an '08 Audi A4 Quattro when I met my girlfriend. She's not the kind of girl to get all that impressed of a guy with a nice car but she liked the smooth ride and nice interior. When I told her I ordered a brand new Mustang 5.0 she just questioned why but was not very upset.

When the car arrived she agreed it was beautiful and damn fast, but still not very impressed. After a few months she asked me to teach her to drive stick. She was nervous of wrecking my brand new car or ruining the clutch be was still excited. I told her she could go faster but it took a while before she got comfortable enough for that.

Two months later now and she will always ask to drive the car, whether we are going to dinner or just a drive, and she ALWAYS gets a stupid grin on her face when she floors it.

She knows now why I bought it and understands what it makes me feel when I'm behind the wheel, because she feels it too! And yeah she likes the way she looks too when she's driving.:cooldude:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Easy solution.

Tell her that "she's just a woman, same as 52% of the rest of the world's population".

Then maybe she's see the analogy that "special" is not necessarily synonymous with "rare".:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was driving an '08 Audi A4 Quattro when I met my girlfriend. She's not the kind of girl to get all that impressed of a guy with a nice car but she liked the smooth ride and nice interior. When I told her I ordered a brand new Mustang 5.0 she just questioned why but was not very upset.

When the car arrived she agreed it was beautiful and damn fast, but still not very impressed. After a few months she asked me to teach her to drive stick. She was nervous of wrecking my brand new car or ruining the clutch be was still excited. I told her she could go faster but it took a while before she got comfortable enough for that.

Two months later now and she will always ask to drive the car, whether we are going to dinner or just a drive, and she ALWAYS gets a stupid grin on her face when she floors it.

She knows now why I bought it and understands what it makes me feel when I'm behind the wheel, because she feels it too! And yeah she likes the way she looks too when she's driving.:cooldude:

My wife drives a 2010 A4 as well. Her car does have a bit more refinement overall. there are some parts of the interior in the A4 that are nicer than the mustang but also some things in the mustang that are nicer (real metal trim on the dash vs plastic fake metal trim in hers for example) And the ride is more comfortable but on long drives in her car, I'm constantly squirming around in the seats. they're not comfortable for long drives. the mustang seats, however, are.

I really do want to teach her how to drive the mustang though. :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think there is a perception that our cars are worth more then they are. I showed up at a friends house and few came out to get a look, one asked "this is a 50K car isnt it..." Try half that.

I went from a Audi also, the excitement and comments about all the details, and of course the power from the Mustang blow the few "nice car" comments about the Audi... German refinement means lack of character or any sense of FUN.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easy solution.

Tell her that "she's just a woman, same as 52% of the rest of the world's population".

Then maybe she's see the analogy that "special" is not necessarily synonymous with "rare".:bigthumbsup
she would then tell me that "marriage" is not necessarily synonymous with "sex"... right now, it is and it needs to stay that way :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Easy solution.

+1 Well said sir

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is amazing how many people love our cars and are not shy about saying so. Young, old or middle aged it doesn't matter. The Mustang appeals to all age groups. While parked talking to a friend the other day, I overheard a group of 13 year old girls walking by saying how cool "that Mustang looked". They sure had no problem identifying it. :)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
LOL. Nice thread. I've been away from true American Muscle for a long time and have been driving an M3 for a few years. Great car, and I won't say anything bad about it, but I'm living in Germany. A BMW or Mercedes are everywhere here.

What I wanted this time around was/is a true American car that is not seen around here much. The Mustang is the choice and I"m sure it's going to turn heads...if it ever shows up:?:.

Anyway, I was showing my wife some pictures and videos of what the car would look like and she actually said, "it looks like the BMW you just sold..." I guess my face got red and I know my blood pressure escalated a bit, but I was speechless. Then she quickly recovered and added, "just kidding!"

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
she would then tell me that "marriage" is not necessarily synonymous with "sex"... right now, it is and it needs to stay that way :D
Well, there's always that remaining 51.999999999% of the population to fall back on. LOL

·
Registered
174 Posts
German refinement means lack of character or any sense of FUN.
This. Wasn't always like that, but the last two generations of the 3 series and A4 series have been. Plus prices have crept up to the >45k class for a decent optioned car. My wife still has her Audi, but I got bored and moved on.

Almost bought a 135i though.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't feel that I get that many looks in my neck of town. Ive been accused by a couple of people that this is a hillbilly car and asked why didn't I get the Camaro ss, that would have been cooler...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.