Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I let the woman drive the mustang yesturday just because, she calls me up while I am at work and says "I dont think the temp. gauge isnt working because it is way past the red and the car is running fine, I am almost to the house", I ask her how long its been like that and she has no idea.... Heres another thing though. I have put 300 miles on the car since I put a NEW water pump, head gaskets, 180d thermostate, and Evans coolant. It has a heavy duty 3 row alluminum radiator and the stock fan. I have been driving this thing all week and I was lucky to get it to 180d. WHAT THE F$#@.... So, I get home from work an hour later HOPEING that the gauge is broke and I start the car up and the car is running just above 180d. I am pissed so I dont do anything with it last night. I decide I am going to drive it to work this morning and check it out. hopeing its a fluke. I get about 2 miles from the house and the needle goes constantly to 200+, I pull over and shut the car off swearing ALOT. I give it a minute, start it up and its at about 180d. Starts to climb but I say WHATEVER and keep driving and then the temp jumps down to about 160 like it has been for the last 300 miles I have driven it and stays that way the whole way home.?? :headscratch: I let her drive it because she recently totalled her 81 jag (it was prestine) I am ready to get rid of this mustang now. I have had it for 3 months overheating and after all I have done its overheating again. I am thinking thermostate but since she barried the needle I am thinking I am ready to get rid of the car. Any suggestions ??? If it aint the thermostate bring $3000 bucks and its yours.....

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Check to make sure that the coolant is full and there are no air pockets in the cooling system. Air may have to be purged out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant tell you how GREATFUL I will be if thats all it is. But why would I run into this problem now after 300+ miles ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And PS. I havent beat on the mustang at all since I have done all this to it. Hasnt seen 3,800+ RPMS at all, and my girlfriend drives like a grandma with all the time in the world so I know she wasnt beating on it. I checked the oil and there is no coolant and it wasnt smoking or anything when I started it up and drove it this morning.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
is it a new thermostat? I am guessing it is since you went to the trouble of installing all the other cooling system parts.
sounds like air pocket too. only way I have ever heard to get the air out is to let the motor cool down all the way and run the motor with the radiator cap off. adding water/coolant as needed.
never had to try this though.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Getting rid of the car just because of one problem is a little overkill don't you think?
If you got rid of every car when it has a problem like that then good luck finding a "perfect car".

Are you reading your stock gauge or is it an aftermarket gauge?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I cant tell you how GREATFUL I will be if thats all it is. But why would I run into this problem now after 300+ miles ?
Can't honestly answer, maybe the system was really never full. May have been filled with out the thermostat not open to fully let the coolant flow through. Fill the radiator, let the motor run @ idle until the thermostat opens. You will know because you will see the coolant go down and flow through the cores of the radiator. Then fill it back to the top of the radiator and cap it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
is it a new thermostat? I am guessing it is since you went to the trouble of installing all the other cooling system parts.
sounds like air pocket too. only way I have ever heard to get the air out is to let the motor cool down all the way and run the motor with the radiator cap off. adding water/coolant as needed.
never had to try this though.
Can be done that way but maybe better to purge through a heater core hose because then the coolant has gone completely through the system.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea the thermostate is new. And I might be over-reacting yes I just have spent more time working on it then driving it and keep throwing money at it you know. I love the car, I am just frustrated. When I first put the car back together I had the front jacked up in the air when I was filling the car. But hopefully you all are right cause what a pain. I will try it today and post what happens.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a stock gauge. THe only reason I havent gone to get aftermarket stuff is because I would like the interior to stay looking factory you know.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
open radiator cap, put funnel in and turn the car on and run it for a good 30 min. Adding coolant according to what you need. Sounds like its probably air pockets. I had a similar problem and that helped it. Could be head gaskets. I know you changed them but maybe they didn't seat right. Just a thought

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You could also try a new sending unit for the gauge, that would cause erratic needle movement.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You could also try a new sending unit for the gauge, that would cause erratic needle movement.
Best answer is Eagles, since you have a stock gauge. New sending unit or try and crimp and clean the sending unit connector, and see if it helps:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Dielectric grease on sending unit...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I popd off the radiator cap, and the radiator is basically empty which is :headscratch:. There goes about $134 worth of evans coolant. I am going to drain what little might be left and fill it with water and regular coolant and see if it boils over or what. I checked the radiator the morning before she drove it and it was full and so was half the overflow tank. Now the overflow tank is bone dry and the radiator looks basically empty. I am pissed because I think for some reason it overheated which makes no sence because I have been driving it for 2 weeks with no problems whats so ever. It probally overheated, blew a brand new head gasket, and blew all the coolant out of the overflow. I am going to check it out later when I dont care :hihi:. I would like to just take it some where and have them rebuild it so its done and good for 100,000+ miles but $$$$ doesnt allow it. I am not trying to make a 10-11 second car, I just want it to go and be able to drive around and enjoy it. I live in florida with beaches everywhere, whats better than cruising around in a conv. pony enjoying it..... I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay so today I finally made time to mess with the pony. I drained out about a gallon and 1qt worth of my evans fluid that was in the car left which doesnt make cents because I poured about 4 gallons in there:headscratch: anyways, I figured the car had a blown headgasket because of how hot it got when the woman was driving it but I filled it with straight water because I figured it would boil over or leak out anyway but it didn't. I let it idol for 30 minutes and it didnt get any hotter than 180d ? and the upper radiator hose is getting hot like it should. I have no leaks at all in the driveway either. I filled it up and started it with the radiator cap off and no air bubbles or anything in the radiator. It slowly was filling up the overflow and I thought it was getting the overflow too high so I put the radiator cap on and watched the water level threw the overflow and it leveled and when the thermostate kicked in it sucked some of the water out of the overflow like it should. So I let it continue to run for about 15minutes. Then I saw that the car wasnt leaking and wasnt overheating I took it for a ride. It would run at about 160-180d the whole time driving around. I looked in the overflow and it wasnt bubbleing or over spilling ???? So now I have to ask myself where in the heck 3 gallons of radiator coolant went ? Could the thermostate got stuck and the car blew out the coolant when I ran into this problem. Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
my thermostat in my truck went bad one time and blew coolant all out of the reservior when it over heated. i let it cool down, changed the thermostat and it was fine.

AND PLEASE TO ANYONE THAT READS THIS BUY A FAILSAFE THERMOSTAT.

it is very common for an aftermarket (autozone, oreillys) thermostat to fail within a few weeks of installation. a failsafe (15$) will not let it close if it fails.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didnt know that!!! Good post. I will do that this weekend when I get real antifreeze. 50/50 mix in florida ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.