Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

IUP Door Handles?

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Iceknyght 
#1 ·
When I bought my car, I didn't want the IUP, mainly cause of the satin dash trim, but I would like to get a few pieces of it, and one of those is the inside satin door handles... Does anyone know where I can get just these pieces? Is the handle completely satin, or is it an overlay over the regular handle? I know you can get this stuff as kits, but I am hoping to get just the handles... Anyone have any ideas?

#3 ·
#4 ·
#6 ·
Yeah, that's the piece I am lookinf for and the one in the link is perfect, except that I don't want all the other pieces...

I went to my Service guy and I *think* I may have found them... It's listed as the handles for the upgrade interior with the red interior, which I know has them.

The part number that was listed is (as it is listed on my invoice):

5R3Z-6322601-AAC Handle 075795

5R3Z-6322601-AAB Handle 075794

The price is $40 a piece, but with my discount I can get them for $40 for both of them... Not bad...

Now, I have another question, I can order these, but how hard would it be to switch these out? Would I have to take my door panel off, or is there an easier way?

I am getting closer...

#7 ·
You'll probably have to take the panel off. More than likely @ $40 each they include the power lock switch as well.

This Thread
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36848&page=2&highlight=stereo+door

Has a some info about door panel removal which I'll copynpaste below

Front Door:

1. Pry off trim ring around speaker grill and remove.
2. Remove (8) 7mm screws from the speaker
3. Pry off sail panel and disconnect harness to remove
4. Pry off screw cover panel behind door release handle and remove 1 Torx T-30 screw.
5. Pry off screw cover panel behind door pull handle and remove 1 Torx T-30 screw.
6. Pry up and disconnect harness on power switch panel.
7. Remove (8) 7mm screws around sides and bottom of door panel.
8. Pry off and remove power switch housing and remove (1) 7mm screw.
9. Lift up on panel and disconnect harness and door release cable to remove.
10. Remove (1) 8mm screw from rear of door panel in sub.

#8 ·
Okay, I pulled off the screw panel cover behind the handle and that's as far as I have got so far, just to see what I am dealing with... If I am lucky, once I remove the Torx screw, that whole assembly might just come out and be able to replace with the new ones... That would make it a ton easier and wouldn't require taking the door panel off. But if I do have to, at least I know how... Thanks for the link!

Near the Torx screw behind the handle, there is a part number which reads:

4R3X-6322601-A

So, I am assuming the ones my Ford guy and I found *are* the right ones. I am going to order them on Monday!

#9 ·
Okay, an update for anyone that is wanting to do this...

I ordered the handles on Monday, got them in yesterday (but since my car was getting striped, I picked them up today) and one was the right handle, the other was for the tan interior... Ooops.

So, we looked in the computer and finally found the the other handle to match that is the correct one... So, hopefully early next week I will get the passenger side door one. As of now, these should be the correct part numbers:

5R3Z-6322601-AAC Handle 075795

5R3Z-6322600-AAC Handle 075792

They don't include the power door lock assembley, but thank God, it just slips over the assembly and clips into place... I plan on working on the drivers side door either tonight or tomorrow to see how hard this will be (or rather, how long it will take)... I will also take a picture of the handle before I put it in to show what the handle part looks like.

#11 ·
Okay, I got impatient and dove right in after work... :)

It took about about an hour and a half to replace the driver's side handle (shouldn't take as long on the other side I don't think). It's a pretty tight fit and most of the time was just making sure I wasn't going to break anything... I *didn't* have to remove the door panel at all, so that was a nice plus! There are a couple little *dents*, but you can't really see them too well unless you're looking for them... All in all, it wasn't as bad as I feared...

Attached are some pictures I took (when I remembered) of the process...

First, you pull out the handle cover, then remove the Torx screw and gently, but firmly pull out the part. Looking at the replacement, I was able to see where it clicked into place and could concentrate on those areas better. Then, one of the hard parts, pulling out the door lock assembly... It is in there real good and it took a lot of effort to get that bad boy out... You need to pull it out towards the front, since the back sticks into the door jam more... Once out, disconnect the plug. Then move to the handle itself... The wire to the handle is held into place with a little stopper that needs to be squeezed together and pushed through the hole. Then, it's a snap to pull the wire out of the handle assembly... Then to put it back together, just go in reverse... ;)

I kept referring back to the replacement part to see how it would come out and how the pieces fit together, which helps with the process greatly... Hopefully, this post and the pictures will help anybody switching out the handles... If I can do this, anyone can do this... ;)

Attachments

#12 ·
Here's one more pic to finish it off...

Attachments

#13 ·
Good job on the install!. You would be surprised how easy it is to pull cars apart. I have been installing my own stereo's for years and have had to pull off almost every panel in every car I owned. It is really easy if you just know where to pry and unscrew. The tricky part is knowing where they hide all the fastners etc... Most of the time you can get that information on the internet now. I actually have to pull the stereo out of my Toyota so I can take the car down and sell it today. I plan on putting the stereo in my Mustang when I get it. Should only be about a month left till I get the car.

#14 ·
Thanks!

And I get to do it again next week on the passanger side...

I hear ya on the stereo's, I custom fit a stereo into my old '68 Mustang, so well that when someone broke into it to steal the stereo, they couldn't get it out! I bolted it to the main chasis, and unless he felt like sticking around for about an hour, he wasn't about to get that thing out, so he just dented the crap out of it and stole the face... But he didn't get what he thought was going to be an easy steal... ;)

I also installed a stereo in a Saturn I had years ago, which was actually pretty easy, easier than the Mustang because of the wire assembly, there was no splicing involved... And when I was done, it looked good! That I can handle, but when you start adding amps and breakers and stuff, that's when I get a little intimidated... But I'm sure it's not incredibly hard once you figure it out... I like to do as much work as I can... I mean, why pay some shop to do it when I can do it for free and take a little bit of my time...

Anyway, once I get the other handle, I'll post how long it took me to install... I am thinking it'll go a little quicker now that I know how to get that sucker in and out... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.