Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking that some day I'd like to have a GT500. Before I committed to that, I thought it might be good to at least have seen the inside of one. :hihi: And I don't know how I feel about the standard shift.
I also don't know if I'll keep my current car and buy a second, or trade the current one in.
Anywho, I went to the dealership the other day and drove a Saleen ($61,000) and two Roushes. Last night I drove a regular standard shift GT. (They have two GT500s currently but one was on the rack with no tires or wheels and the other was in the garage locked up [of course the salesman didn't know where the keys were and the mechanic was gone for the day].) So much for that.
The verdict is in: I LOVED driving the GT! It was soooo much fun! And very easy to drive. I do not like the Roushes at all. They're "notchy" when they shift. The Saleen was far better than the Roushes, but I just don't know if I'll ever spend that kind of money. (Not knocking anyone's car; this is just me.) Although I didn't get to drive the GT500, I strongly suspect that I'm not going to like the way it shifts either. Jesica tells me it's because they have racing clutches, etc. and that's just going to be different from the stock GT. That's fine-- but I'm not looking for a race car.
So here's what I think I've decided: What I like about the GT500 is the white stripes on torch red (the one I always see) and the body kit. Well, I don't have to buy a GT500 to get that.
My plan is to wait until I pay my current car off (3 years-maybe sooner), then buy a torch red GT, standard shift, have the white stripes and body kit put on, maybe some exhaust work. That's everything I want. I can get that hella cheaper than a Saleen or GT500! And when I tire of driving the standard shift, I can jump back in my automatic! It's the best of both worlds!!
It was a buttload of fun to drive the standard shift though! I'd like to have that option--on the days I want to play Mario Andretti!
Anyone else have a "plan" they'd like to share?
:)

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
My plan was after i got my GT Auto vert paid off. To pick up a V6 5 speed coupe. It would be about 1/2 the price of my GT and fun to drive around town and lighter on gas (because at the rate gas is going.....) and fun to drive a stick but i'd have an auto for the days that i don't want to drive stick. Because i am very moody when it comes to what kind of trans i want to drive.

But i might also go with something foreign *shudders* maybe a 5-speed honda or something to tool around it. But keep my GT for when i need to look cool to pick up girls :D

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan was after i got my GT Auto vert paid off. To pick up a V6 5 speed coupe. It would be about 1/2 the price of my GT and fun to drive around town and lighter on gas (because at the rate gas is going.....) and fun to drive a stick but i'd have an auto for the days that i don't want to drive stick. Because i am very moody when it comes to what kind of trans i want to drive.

But i might also go with something foreign *shudders* maybe a 5-speed honda or something to tool around it. But keep my GT for when i need to look cool to pick up girls :D
I have to say I'm surprised by the quoted gas mileage of a standard shift GT (14 in town). On my worst day, in town, slow and go on the interstate, whatever, I get 18 mpg.
I'm going to let that Honda thing just go on by. :gringreen

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Yeah, I get better than 14 in town in both my 07 and my 08. Gas is getting rather pricey, though.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I get better than 14 in town in both my 07 and my 08. Gas is getting rather pricey, though.
I would hope so. I thought standards were supposed to get better gas mileage than autos.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have to say I'm surprised by the quoted gas mileage of a standard shift GT (14 in town). On my worst day, in town, slow and go on the interstate, whatever, I get 18 mpg.
I'm going to let that Honda thing just go on by. :gringreen
Right now the mileage computer on my GT is pegged at about 23 mpg. I have the stick which helps, and I'm not too heavy with the right foot. (OK, maybe on occasion I am :rolleyes:)
As far as a plan, I'm still working through my current plan. I've got my grille on order, wheels and tires are next, some more underhood goodies, and if that's not enough, perhapse a Cervini's ducktail spoiler & pedestal wing.
My wife doesn't know it, but I'm going to check out a '65 vert on Friday.:naughty

·
Registered
422 Posts
But i might also go with something foreign *shudders* maybe a 5-speed ***** or something to tool around it. But keep my GT for when i need to look cool to pick up girls :D
Fixed. No need to drop the H-bomb around here.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Far be of a "lowely rookie" to question a senior member, but wtf? You gonna cheat on your "baby" with a "Ho"nda, you should be ashamed of your self, you should turn in your keys for a week. I'll watch em for ya:D<S>

·
Registered
2,829 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Far be of a "lowely rookie" to question a senior member, but wtf? You gonna cheat on your "baby" with a "Ho"nda, you should be ashamed of your self, you should turn in your keys for a week. I'll watch em for ya:D<S>
I need to start saving money to purchase a house. i also want to get more heavily into investments in the stock market. I need to free up some of my cash. I am just going to try and drive the honda so the temptation to mod my car is a little weaker. But lets face it, i'm not going to be able to pull off a civic and a stang in the same stable. maybe i'll get a honda motorcycle. Now that would be okay, because motorcycles are cool no matter who makes them :)

But i could have bought a civic for $14k but instead of got the car i wanted at $35k. So you tell me what i am going to get as my next car :hihi: *hint,hint GT500:happyhapp*

·
Registered
539 Posts
I need to start saving money to purchase a house. i also want to get more heavily into investments in the stock market. I need to free up some of my cash. I am just going to try and drive the honda so the temptation to mod my car is a little weaker. But lets face it, i'm not going to be able to pull off a civic and a stang in the same stable. maybe i'll get a honda motorcycle. Now that would be okay, because motorcycles are cool no matter who makes them :)

But i could have bought a civic for $14k but instead of got the car i wanted at $35k. So you tell me what i am going to get as my next car :hihi: *hint,hint GT500:happyhapp*
He said the H WORD AGAIN!!!!:head_shot:
Come on man snap out of it! Go wash your vert and drive to the local park to shine up the rims. A little sun some stares you'll feel much better and forget about this madness!

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
this is true. I have about $15,000 more to spend on mods for my car. It will take many, many years to finally reach my goal :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.