Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone done a j-mod the write looks nice and complex. I just want someone who has done it and can explain a couple of things

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
finished my j-mod i gotta say it was worth the time. took about 8 hours mostly cause to make sure everything went back into place. I will report more after i get some more testing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
What tools did you use?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use a 10mm and a 8mm to unbolt the pan and valve body a drill with a 7/64 drill end and that all. It's simple and makes a big difference. The auto has too much lag with the jmod and tuner makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
how hard is the install? I'm thinking of ordering the jmod that AM has sometime.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Isn't it kind of pointless to do a j-mod since you already have a tuner to mess with shift firmness,speed, etc.?? When I first got my tuner it didn't work well with the shift kit (I didn't know I had it at the time, just got car and it came with it) made it act funny, does it not act up on you?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
no, the tuner simply changes the shift pressures.. the j-mod changes the flow rates of the fluid

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
no, the tuner simply changes the shift pressures.. the j-mod changes the flow rates of the fluid
Oh ok I see, I Have always heard that the jmod was the same as a shift kit, my bad...

Ponyboy, AM has an actual shift kit (the performance automatic kit is what I'm assuming you are talking about?)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the tuner changes shiftb points like when the gears will shift. The j-mod will allow more fluid to move which means a faster shift. A tuner must be changed to 0 shift pressure. it will make the car run weird but if you have both makes one hell of a shift

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
the tuner changes shiftb points like when the gears will shift. The j-mod will allow more fluid to move which means a faster shift. A tuner must be changed to 0 shift pressure. it will make the car run weird but if you have both makes one hell of a shift
So you did have to change the tuner, that's what I thought.... See I'm not a complete redneck, I know some stuff :heha:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the j-mod does what the tuner tries to do. But when the holes are smaller they can't push more fluid in.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oh ok I see, I Have always heard that the jmod was the same as a shift kit, my bad...

Ponyboy, AM has an actual shift kit (the performance automatic kit is what I'm assuming you are talking about?)

I was under the impression that the kit is pretty much the same as a Jmod?

this one...
Performance Automatic Street/Strip Shift Kit (96-04 GT, V6, Mach 1) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

oh, and here is a page on doing a Jmod. for future reference...

TCCoA Tech Articles

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I was under the impression that the kit is pretty much the same as a Jmod?

this one...
Performance Automatic Street/Strip Shift Kit (96-04 GT, V6, Mach 1) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

oh, and here is a page on doing a Jmod. for future reference...

TCCoA Tech Articles
Yeah now that the situation is cleared up they are from what I'm gathering, I should have went back and said something about that before but I forgot lol

It's just whether you want to buy the kit or do it yourself, that's the only difference

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've heard the shift kits you can order in will ruin your tranny. Where as a J-mod uses your original valve body, so it causes no problems.

Not sure about this, but something to read more about before buying a shift kit. J-mod seems like the better approach.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I've heard the shift kits you can order in will ruin your tranny. Where as a J-mod uses your original valve body, so it causes no problems.

Not sure about this, but something to read more about before buying a shift kit. J-mod seems like the better approach.
I have a shift kit, over three years since I have bought car, and no telling how long it was in there before I got it, there may be a bad brand out there somewhere I'm sure but not all are bad, the kit (or jmod) noticeably improves the life of the trans due to a slow shifting setup from the factory that causes increased wear on parts, plus with a shift kit the 4R70W can withstand over 500 hp, it's a great transmission :gringreen

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well when i was looking into the j-mod i learned alot about the transmission and its very strong. You can make holes bigger but depends on how much hp. The thing is heat will kill the thing and low fluid. But if you change the fluid when needed then this thing can last this about 300k miles. Your lucky about the shift kit i wonder which one you got.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
a j-mod IS a shift kit... i dunno why some of you guys are separating them

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
a j-mod IS a shift kit... i dunno why some of you guys are separating them
Oh shutup mark...:hihi: just playing

I didn't know they were the same at first, did a little looking around and found out a jmod is a DIY shift kit, I'm still learning some stuff, transmissions are not my strong suite but I'm getting there

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
the j-mod is how the transmission should have been made from the factory.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts