Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I had a guy in a new Cherokee SRT8 pull up alonside of me and rev his engine at the red light. I asked him how much HP it had and he said it was about 425.

He was a nice guy, we chatted for a sec at the red light and with it being AWD I knew he would jump right off the line. Luckily it was late at night and the traffic was non-existent.

The light turned green and needless to say that thing hops rigth off the line, but by the time I had rowed through first and second and was WOT in thrid I was about a cars length ahead of him and pulling away.

We got to the next light and he gave me big props on a "kick ass" car and said that "thing sounds amazing!!" (Roush exhaust) I agve him props on his ride and we just drove off chillin.

It was funny though, a few lights down the road I was behind him and some guy in a late 80's buick or something got alongside him and was revving his measily V8 at him. I was giggling and waiting for the insuing destruction. That light turned green and that SRT8 was 3 cars length ahead fo that guy I think before he was even able to get off the line.

Needless to say, those Cherokee SRT8s are a beast. I know they are heavy, but that kind of power with AWD is pretty nice.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
Good one, but that particular Jeep is one of those vehicles that you can't miss a shift, or hesitiate, or it's gone and you won't catch it. As you found out sub 5.0 second 0 to 60 and all thrust! The new one with the 6.4 HEMI is even quicker. With equal drivers I don't think you would get a car length.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Good one, but that particular Jeep is one of those vehicles that you can't miss a shift, or hesitiate, or it's gone and you won't catch it. As you found out sub 5.0 second 0 to 60 and all thrust! The new one with the 6.4 HEMI is even quicker. With equal drivers I don't think you would get a car length.
That's all true but it's still nothing but lots of hp in a SUV . If I'm going to pay for hp I want it in a package that looks hot too and not be a soccer mom mobile .

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've ridden in one. A guy at our office has a new one. It's fast in a straight line (I'm guessing low 13's) but holy LOL at it trying to turn!! I was terrified.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
That's all true but it's still nothing but lots of hp in a SUV . If I'm going to pay for hp I want it in a package that looks hot too and not be a soccer mom mobile .
I'm of a similar opinion, but that particular "soccer mom mobile" is a beast. My coworker has one, with the big hemi, and although it still looks like a grand cherokee, the thing has some serious torque to it. The really sad part of it is, when he goes shopping, he puts diapers in the back...:winks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah I'd sport one in a heart beat. If I had no choice but to drive something that can carry that many people or stuff and still go fast, I would seriously consider it.

Terrible gas mileage but fun as hell.

·
Registered
631 Posts
From a dig, sure. I've venture to guess from a roll, it wouldn't be quite as close, once you take his AWD out of the equation.

I can't wait to line up against one of these. The one opportunity I had, it was pouring rain and we were in an area known for speed traps - I didn't even bother.

I like these Jeeps though. I seriously considered buying one, but the damn things hold their value so well that if I paid the same for my new '11 GT premium as I would of for an '07 SRT-8 with 30k miles on it. The 14 mpg it gets is a bit of a deal breaker, too.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
A more even race for one of those would be a stock 03-04 Mach 1. I was very impressed when a guy with one dropped in on 13-second index class racing in NY one weekend. My Mach 1 was slower then (2008?), and all he had to do to match my summertime 13.50s was to push the loud pedal and go...very repeatable that Jeep, and a hell of a bracket racing ride it struck me if he had wanted.

However, a stock 2001-up GT with traction will run a full second faster than we were that day, and race is over.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
yeah Ive always like those, they are pretty damned stout! Ive seen modded ones running mid to low 12's

·
Registered
270 Posts
A couple years back before I ever considered a mustang I was pretty dead set on the Cherokee SRT8s. My first car was an old jeep cherokee and I had liked the way they redesigned them. My favorite thing was how suprisingly quick it was from a dig, everyone I spoke to that owned one would tell me how amazing it was. They also mentioned though once it hit about 80 it turnt into really lost alot of its juice, but it was still a beast for light to light racing haha.

If I were in the market for something of that size and what not, I would highly consider it. I also was into the Dodge Ram SRT 10s.. I have this odd fascination for wanting that defies logic.. Extremely Large and Extremely fast.

J

·
0 Posts
I'm not a fan of any Chrysler products but those things are beastly.
I saw one at a track day tearing up the roadcourse with Z06s and CTSVs and the Jeep held it's own and passed many true sports cars that day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.