Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am crazy about getting a short shifter installed in my 11 GT. But there are just too many options around and different opinions. I've recently been reading about JHR but since it's not widely used yet, there are not enough reliable reviews around.. also, its considerably lower price than competitors is a bit worrying me.. how is this possible?? There isnt much info whether it keeps the reverse lockout or not? otherwise.. it is currently my favourite option.

anyway.. heard a lot of good things and bad things about Barton. Heard a lot of guys had them removed. Hurst?? well no idea since they could not release their product yet..

anyway.. what is the right thing to do with short shifters? I already have enough Mt82 problems and I am desperate to try a shifter and bracket. What would you buy now? Shifter only? or just bracket? or both? and which brand?

I just added JHR shifter and bracket in my shopping cart.. but I wont check out until i read your comments :)

Thanks !!

G

·
0 Posts
I did not have any shifting issues but I like the handle position of the JHR, as well as the price. I ordered that and their bracket together and I am really enjoying it.

Yes it fully retains the reverse lockout, and actually includes a second spring so you can adjust the amount of effort needed to press down the handle. The standard spring is much stiffer than stock so make sure you are pushing straight down before moving over to reverse.

Also the handle itself is adjustable in height and from the box the knob will be about 1 inch higher and further back towards the driver. Be aware, when at the highest setting the leather shift boot will actually stretch when going into 2nd, 4th, or 6th. I am fixing this with a custom shift boot from RedlineGoods.

Ford Mustang 2010+ shift boot - RedlineGoods leather shift boot store

When you open the box, you will not believe the price is so low because the quality is unbelievable and almost mesmorizing(I love machined billet:D). Both the shifter and bracket are a breeze to install with simple handtools.

The throw reduction is about 20% which I believe is perfect as I really had no complaints with the stock shifter. The shifter is super solid when in gear with no extra play in any direction.

Take your time with the rubber boot to make sure it goes all the way around the shifter base and reverse lockout assembly. It is easiest to install with the shifter bracket removed.

All in all, great products and you will not be disappointed.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm waiting on the MGW...they are working on a model for the 2011/2012s right now...had one in my 2006 GT and really liked it.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would wait for MGW to finish theirs. It will be more expensive but it will replace the WHOLE shifter box assembly I believe.

In the mean time, I would say go ahead and order the JHR shifter bracket (not the whole shifter) and install just that and see how you like it.

I'm using the barton bracket with the stock shifter and it's night and day better JUST from that.

I'm waiting to see results from the MGW shifter before buying anything else. (also to see if ford ever delivers some fix for the transmission problems) I'm not having any issues with mine but if I DO start having problems, I don't want to have to fool with removing an aftermarket shifter before taking it to the dealer. The shifter bracket is a quick install/uninstall if necessary.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I am crazy about getting a short shifter installed in my 11 GT. But there are just too many options around and different opinions. I've recently been reading about JHR but since it's not widely used yet, there are not enough reliable reviews around.. also, its considerably lower price than competitors is a bit worrying me.. how is this possible?? There isnt much info whether it keeps the reverse lockout or not? otherwise.. it is currently my favourite option.

anyway.. heard a lot of good things and bad things about Barton. Heard a lot of guys had them removed. Hurst?? well no idea since they could not release their product yet..

anyway.. what is the right thing to do with short shifters? I already have enough Mt82 problems and I am desperate to try a shifter and bracket. What would you buy now? Shifter only? or just bracket? or both? and which brand?

I just added JHR shifter and bracket in my shopping cart.. but I wont check out until i read your comments :)

Thanks !!

You should take a look at the UPR Products shifter too. It's similar to the JHR though. I think there was some sort of partnership there.

2011-2012 Ford Mustang V6 GT Billet Manual Shifter & Mount Package - UPR Products

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very biased vote

OK. I know that my vote probably shouldn't count but I would buy the JHR shifter. Even though I work for JHR and designed the shifter in question I honestly believe that we have the best shifter on the market. IMO.
Quick facts:

1. Adjustable handle height
  2. Handle position is moved back closer to the driver.
  3. JHR shifter has an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like it send it back.
  4. Also has an unconditional lifetime guarantee against breakage.
  5. JHR is a grassroots company that spends more time developing better products and less time chasing other companies. No copy cat BS.
  6. The Joe Heck Racing shifter is 100% made in the USA. Even the aluminum is made in the USA.
I know my opinion is biased but we really do have a great product and more importantly we stand behind everything we sell.

Hope I don't sound like too much of a JHR groupie...:smoke:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hope I don't sound like too much of a JHR groupie...:smoke:
LOL. You do Adam, but it's understandable and I, for one, appreciate your contribution. I ordered the JHR bracket/mount for now...if I ever get the damned car to put it on then I'll report back. All things considered, if I decide to put a short shift in my GT it will most likely be a JHR.

Here's what throws me over to the JHR side. They take paypal, they ship to APO addresses (this is important for us serving overseas), and the constant updates via email for the shipment. I know this is pretty much the norm for many parts dealers, but I was treated very well when I ordered. My biggest sway is the fact that it's made in the U.S. of A.

Now Adam...stop posting and get back to work on figuring out that tranny...:D

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Adam,
As mentioned in my post above I noticed the shift boot being stretched when the shifter is pulled back. I will be fixing this with a custom made leather shift boot. Just wondering if you guys have any solutions?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hey Adam,
As mentioned in my post above I noticed the shift boot being stretched when the shifter is pulled back. I will be fixing this with a custom made leather shift boot. Just wondering if you guys have any solutions?
That's an excellent question. I'd like to hear Adam's thoughts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
LOL. You do Adam, but it's understandable and I, for one, appreciate your contribution. I ordered the JHR bracket/mount for now...if I ever get the damned car to put it on then I'll report back. All things considered, if I decide to put a short shift in my GT it will most likely be a JHR.

Here's what throws me over to the JHR side. They take paypal, they ship to APO addresses (this is important for us serving overseas), and the constant updates via email for the shipment. I know this is pretty much the norm for many parts dealers, but I was treated very well when I ordered. My biggest sway is the fact that it's made in the U.S. of A.

Now Adam...stop posting and get back to work on figuring out that tranny...:D
Here. Check out this link for a package deal. JHR SHIFTER AND SHIFTER MOUNTING BRACKET - JOE HECK RACING INC

I feel pretty confident we have the transmission figured out. We just have to work out the part numbers, pricing and get the stuff loaded on the site with instructions and all that good stuff.

PS
Don't make fun of my sick web skills.... I couldn't figure out how to merge the pictures so when you look at the site the title is correct but the thumbnail is only the mount bracket right now. I'll get it fixed.....I think:?:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Adam,
I read your post and I am actually going to look into the boot you're talking about. We have been looking at some alternatives but nothing has jumped out at us yet.
We know that the shifter pulls on the boot and I would like to add a boot to our kit if it's cost effective.

·
Registered
372 Posts
MGW and done...... Should be available soon...

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I'm waiting on the MGW...they are working on a model for the 2011/2012s right now...had one in my 2006 GT and really liked it.
+1
MGW isn't going to be a bolt on shifter like all the other's. It's going to have a whole new shift box, shifter.

G

·
0 Posts
I read your post and I am actually going to look into the boot you're talking about. We have been looking at some alternatives but nothing has jumped out at us yet.
We know that the shifter pulls on the boot and I would like to add a boot to our kit if it's cost effective.
Adam, if you guys take the measurements of the shift boots and spec them for your shifter, you can send the details to RedlineGoods and they will make custom boots to fit perfectly. They can have it added to the options for the 2010+ boots already available.

I am currently in the custom design phase with them and I asked them to make it 1.5 inches taller than stock for added slack.

Best part of all, the prices are extremely reasonable.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have the JHR shifter on my 2011 GT and it has been one of my best mods to date. Shifting is short and smooth and as mentioned you have tons of adjustment.

Not really sure what the issue is with the boot - depending on how you have the shifter and handle set you will have more or less boot material shifting about - no custom boot is gonna fix that.

i only have the shifter but with all the positive comments about the brackets the JHR piece is on the top of my to-do list.

G

·
0 Posts
I have the JHR shifter on my 2011 GT and it has been one of my best mods to date. Shifting is short and smooth and as mentioned you have tons of adjustment.

Not really sure what the issue is with the boot - depending on how you have the shifter and handle set you will have more or less boot material shifting about - no custom boot is gonna fix that.

i only have the shifter but with all the positive comments about the brackets the JHR piece is on the top of my to-do list.
The issue I have is when shifting into 2nd, 4th, or 6th, the boot stretches and almost want to pull the lever back into neutral. This is with the lever adjusted as it came from the box. It is ok for now and I want the custom leather boot anyway as I am sure many do for whatever reasons. It is a minor issue at this point but I'd take it as an opportunity for JHR to give their customers another option when selecting their shifter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The issue I have is when shifting into 2nd, 4th, or 6th, the boot stretches and almost want to pull the lever back into neutral. This is with the lever adjusted as it came from the box. It is ok for now and I want the custom leather boot anyway as I am sure many do for whatever reasons. It is a minor issue at this point but I'd take it as an opportunity for JHR to give their customers another option when selecting their shifter.
If you would be willing to share the specifics I would like to get the same boot that you are getting. In fact if you are willing see what they will do for you if you order 10 of them. I will buy 9 and you should be able to save some money. That way we can get them out to some of our test cars and see what kind of response we get. Just a thought...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Adam, if you guys take the measurements of the shift boots and spec them for your shifter, you can send the details to RedlineGoods and they will make custom boots to fit perfectly. They can have it added to the options for the 2010+ boots already available.

I am currently in the custom design phase with them and I asked them to make it 1.5 inches taller than stock for added slack.

Best part of all, the prices are extremely reasonable.
What do you think about moving the hole back an inch and adding an inch to the height as well?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts