Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so I am still new to this whole modding thing as this si my first stang ever lol but It seems that since I installed the JLT CAI the car has had crappier gas mileage although I have noticed it gets to 80 a little faster to be sure and it is sweet to hear the hissing when you stomp on it.

I was wondering about the air inlet which sits below the filter on the JLT CAI. Is this enough air and is it possible that I am running too rich or lean now that this is installed? After i installed it, i cranked the AC to max with air recirculate on for approximately 5 minutes then turned the car off. Then i started the car again and ran it for 3 or so minutes with nothing on. Did I do something wrong?

Another thing, i am hearing a slight knocking that sounds like its from cheap gas at very low RPM's. I am going to fill up with something else next time as maybe the summer blend is junk? I live in Las Vegas, and it has been very hot lately 100+ so could that have somethign to do with it as well?

The only other mod I have done is put magnaflow performance axle-backs on. They sound awesome BTW. Have an SCT tuner and ordering Bama tunes in a couple days

ideas and opinions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
The jlt cai requires a tune. I suggest putting back the stock intake until you get the tunes.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yeah AM says no tune required on the JLT intake. I'd up your octane for a while to see if the knock goes away and maybe the tune will fix your mpg.

·
Registered
532 Posts
None of the CAIs for the v6 require a tune, at least not yet.
Steeda's says their CAI needs a tune. And my shop wrote a new tune after installing my Airaid.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't you think that maybe the drop in fuel economy has to do with how much you are enjoying the new toy(CAI)?
QFT! Are you perhaps enjoying that new roaring sound a little more than is economically reasonable?

B

·
0 Posts
Just to be sure, you should check all your connections to make sure you don't have any air leaks. I have noticed better mpgs using my JLT intake.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
My other question is, how are you determining that the mileage went down?

If you are just going by the dash readout then you really don't know if it is going down or not. Run a few tanks of gas through it and manually check the gas mileage, that is the only way to know for sure. Of course that only works if you had been checking the mileage before the CAI so you have something to compare to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my mileage dropped after putting on the CAI too, but that was because i didnt shift until after the PSSSH!! sound stopped lol which is around 3k rpm, usual shift point is 2k for me (3.31 gears)

now with the atak catback i rev up to around 5k before shifting.. car sounds too good at higher rpms.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There are CAI's for the V6 that require a tune, they DO exist.. and I believe JLT makes one of them but it's NOT the popular carbon fiber one that most people go for. I'll hopefully be installing my airaid this weekend and will soon find out if I have any issues.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
The only tune required V6 CAI out currently is the Steeda, that is because it uses a larger diameter MAF tube than stock.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hi, so I am still new to this whole modding thing as this si my first stang ever lol but It seems that since I installed the JLT CAI the car has had crappier gas mileage although I have noticed it gets to 80 a little faster to be sure and it is sweet to hear the hissing when you stomp on it.

I was wondering about the air inlet which sits below the filter on the JLT CAI. Is this enough air and is it possible that I am running too rich or lean now that this is installed? After i installed it, i cranked the AC to max with air recirculate on for approximately 5 minutes then turned the car off. Then i started the car again and ran it for 3 or so minutes with nothing on. Did I do something wrong?

Another thing, i am hearing a slight knocking that sounds like its from cheap gas at very low RPM's. I am going to fill up with something else next time as maybe the summer blend is junk? I live in Las Vegas, and it has been very hot lately 100+ so could that have somethign to do with it as well?

The only other mod I have done is put magnaflow performance axle-backs on. They sound awesome BTW. Have an SCT tuner and ordering Bama tunes in a couple days

ideas and opinions?
Yeah agree with the rest of the posters, possibly your driving habbits, Just for grins check your tire pressure as that can cause a reduction MPG from what I understand as well, even though your post states since installing the CAI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would NEVER have jumped on it at all!! LOL :gringreen

That is honestly part of it i am sure.

The pinging does have me a little concerned. I checked the connections on the CAI and I do not have any warnings on the dash or anything so I assume all is well. I will switch to chevron with techron and see how that goes.

Thanks for all your inputs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts