Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the site and I have a quick question.
I just recently purchased my 2015 Mustang GT Premium and everyone I've met and know who currently has a Mustang informed me to buy a JLT oil separator. Do I really need it?
I'm a little bit sad that if this is a must have, it didn't come with the car originally in the first place. I barely have 167 miles on the car and I already need to spend $119 dollars on a must have part for the engine?
The money really doesn't bother me, it's just the fact that my car is brand new and if this part really is needed, I wish Ford had anticipated this before releasing the car to customers.
That being said, I still love my Mustang!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't say it's necessary. It's just an above and beyond part for maintenance. I have it on mine. It does what it's suppose to so I don't regret buying it.

Reactions: n1x1n

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't have one and have no plans of getting one. I had never heard of this until I started to frequenting Mustang forums. I can't remember ever seeing one on a car as standard equipment.:wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't have my S550, yet, but can tell you that the throttle body gets DIRTY from the PCV that connects to the intake tube, and I'm sure that the intake manifold is the same way. I've had to clean mine out a couple times (removal, spray and scrub with carb cleaner) and I'm only at 68k miles. When my S550 arrives, that's going to be the first thing I buy. I've seen most sites have just a passenger side separator, but I've seen at least one that has a driver's side separator, as well.

Either way, it's a relatively cheap mod that is easy to install, and reduces the chances you'll need to clean your throttle body and/or intake manifold.

JR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put one on my car. 3500 miles and there is maybe a 1/4 teaspoon in it. Wiped clean and reinstalled. It will help keep the TB and intake clean from sludge. Oil in through the intake also reduces octane levels in your fuel.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Lol!!!

No, it's not necessary. Relax, don't get freaked out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Gasoline washes away oil

I could be wrong, but .....

For most cars, you will not accumulate oil inside the intake manifold because the carburetor or fuel injection is blowing a gasoline mist through the same intake. The gasoline is constantly washing away any oil.

But, .... the version of fuel injection called "direct injection" (like in the EcoBoost) injects gasoline directly into the cylinder and there is no gasoline vapor washing through the intake manifold. In that case, the oil separator "might" be beneficial.

The oil separator might, however, help keep the throttle body clean. See: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a81/1272341/

A consideration: We are talking about maybe a teaspoon of oil being mixed in over the course of burning perhaps 100 gallon of gasoline. That amount of oil will not effect the gasoline octane.

Another consideration: ".. the throttle body gets DIRTY from the PCV that connects to the intake tube, and I'm sure that the intake manifold is the same way. I've had to clean mine out a couple times (removal, spray and scrub with carb cleaner) .." The referenced Popular Mechanics article says that the throttle body on many Ford products has a protective coating to reduce the buildup. A strong solvent and hard brushing will remove the protective coating and then you will have clean it more frequently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts