Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched all inventory within 50 miles for a MT82/3.73 401A pack and found three in Daytona. The thing is. the newest one seems to be made 6/18 and the other two made in May. Am I making too big a deal about the possible ticking, clutch or other issues?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think you will be just fine especially built in June. Not all the early builds are experiencing the different issues you are reading.

There are plenty of happy 2011 owners out there with earlier builds with no problems to report.

Again, IMO

Best of luck !

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
646 Posts
People on forums tend to make a big deal and totally blow up scattered issues to epic proportions. Rarely does anyone post a thread about how they are NOT having an issue, so it makes any problems stand out. I'd bet that Job 1, 2, and 2012 MY vehicles will all have pretty much the same scattered and common issues. A later build does not guarantee a less problematic vehicle unfortunately. Many common vehicle issues can be traced along the entire production time for a given model or platform (ie, 2005-2009). I wouldn't worry about it and I'd get whatever you like. Random failures and problems can arise on anything anytime.

·
Registered
69 Posts
3/31 built gt/cs. 54 miles hen I bought it in jul, 3200 now. Only issue I had was faulty airbag sensor replaced under warranty. No ticks, no leaks, no rattles. Just seems to get quicker and louder the more I break it in...which, to me, are good things!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine was built in May and no problems so far. Knocking on wood.
I know this question is silly, but how do I find the build date on my car?

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine was built April 22nd, has around 5400 miles, original oil, no ticking or clutch problems so far.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
As posted here, there are plenty of folks with early builds and no problems. The natural reaction will be for them to defend their beloved car and to downplay others' problems when they don't have the same experiences -- see 2011GRABBERGT's post. Good for them.

However, what is ignored here by those wishing to defend their babies is the obvious logic: What problems are experienced (however small or large the percentage of cars) MIGHT be fixed by Ford during new productions.

It is very common for a manufacturer to make changes in the production processes to address quality concerns, particularly between 'jobs' and production years.

Bottom line, the percentages are still in your favor if you get an earlier build car. However, while I have no stats for you (Ford would never make them public), common sense tells you that the percentages will be even better in later builds.

If you find the car you love and it is an earlier build, the 'risk versus reward' calculation is really up to you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
April-Build, 5,200 Miles, Oil-Changed, NP

I have an April built 2011-GT-Premium w/MT82.
Never had ANY problem. Ordered from factory.
Changed oil at Ford dealer at 5,000 miles.

No ticks, no problems.

YOU will have the advantage of running your potential purchase!
Good Luck, RadioRich :cooldude:

·
Registered
646 Posts
As posted here, there are plenty of folks with early builds and no problems. The natural reaction will be for them to defend their beloved car and to downplay others' problems when they don't have the same experiences -- see 2011GRABBERGT's post. Good for them.

However, what is ignored here by those wishing to defend their babies is the obvious logic: What problems are experienced (however small or large the percentage of cars) MIGHT be fixed by Ford during new productions.

It is very common for a manufacturer to make changes in the production processes to address quality concerns, particularly between 'jobs' and production years.

Bottom line, the percentages are still in your favor if you get an earlier build car. However, while I have no stats for you (Ford would never make them public), common sense tells you that the percentages will be even better in later builds.

If you find the car you love and it is an earlier build, the 'risk versus reward' calculation is really up to you.
Spoken by someone clearly NOT in the auto or any other mass production industry.... I have worked for Ford and currently work for an OEM at the corporate level, and I can tell you that wild design changes rarely take place like you and some people like to think. I'm not defending my "baby", I am simply being realistic and honest. ALL cars can have issues. Do you think every 2009-2010 4.6L rolled off the line is perfect with no issues at all? Hell no! Unless this is a large widespread issue (and there have really not been any) there will be no huge production change. The cost for something like that is huge, and it is usually more cost effective to deal with the scattered failures as they occur rather than switching potentially millions of dollars worth of suppliers/tooling/ etc.

You had some issues, that sucks and I feel for yah. But don't feel like you are going to be more susceptible to it than a later guy, because relatively uncommon issues will not warrant a change like your are suggesting. They would never make money if they did that. It is what it is, and dollars and cents is what it comes down to. Supplier and parts issues in particular happen all of the time and it doesn't matter if the part design hasn't changed for a decade or more. It only takes one bad batch. QC is a real ***** sometimes.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
...Unless this is a large widespread issue (and there have really not been any) there will be no huge production change . . . But don't feel like you are going to be more susceptible to it than a later guy, because relatively uncommon issues will not warrant a change like your are suggesting.
Spoken like a guy who has not bothered to do any research.

But you're right, auto manufacturers never pretend that problems are rare when they're not. Nor do they quietly fix those problems during later production.

Instead, they admit to widespread problems, pay the resulting lawsuits without protest, and they don't bother to fix the issues on later models.

Thanks for clearing it up with your superior automotive experience and knowledge. After all, living in Southeast Michigan affords me no contact with the automotive industry.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah, I lived there too. As a recently as a month ago actually.... And you can probably guess who I worked for too. But you are right, what do I know. I think you are a bit bitter, and that is completely understandable with everything you've gone through. I'd be the same way!

Big issues they may fix, but they won't change minor or parts quality issues every time one occurs. It happens so often it isn't even funny. I didn't say they'll openly admit it or go to court. What I said is that it is much cheaper to simply repair the units with obscure problems. That is what the warranty is for after all.

A perfect example, fuel pump failures on many 1995-2000 C/K GM trucks. Very common failure, and no major production changes were made. Intake cracking on 4.6L engines. This was a known issue for YEARS before a recall resulted (likely from a lawsuit). They didn't change anything in production that whole time across quite a few years and vehicle lines.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Let's agree to disagree and leave the thread friends :bigthumbsup

Hopefully, we gave the OP something to think about.

P.S. I'm not bitter, just trying to pass what I've learned on to someone else. As for my problems, I'm taking the appropriate action; I'll know in six months or so whether to be bitter :yelpleased:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.