Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, instead of going with the Barton bracket like most do, I decided to try out JHR's bracket instead. Plus, no one has given a direct review of that bracket yet; only a few mentions.

Here are some pictures from the very simple install today, which was done under the car, in the driveway.

Conclusion:
I have only went for a short 5 mile test drive so far, but I will come back and comment more tomorrow after a more extended drive. I am using the stock shifter.

-Insallation was straight forward and very easy. The only hard part was getting the OEM bracket off because, at least mine, had an assembly-line retention clip for the bracket on one of the threaded studs (passenger side).
-Right off the bat, with the engine off, the gears are noticeable a little easier to get into gear.
-With the engine on, clutch depressed, there is not a significant change in shift effort. Maybe a tad easier. What is really apparent is the feeling of the shifts. Things seemed much less isolated, or in other terms, more connected to the drivetrain.
-Driving (radio off, no air blowing, windows up), there is an increase in NVH. The feel of drivetrain movements is a little more transferred into the shifter, nothing annoying at all though. You can definitely hear the transmission more and you can hear the engine a tab bit more. What I really noticed is that you can hear 1st and 2nd gears unloading when you disengage the clutch. This is probably the only noise that sort of bothers me in comparison to the OEM bracket.
-Shifts are a lot more communicative.
-You can still definitely miss 3rd gear. This is not a miracle worker! Does it help? Hell yes!

Overall first impressions:
Product came well packaged and relatively quickly (consider the billet machining of the bracket and delrin bushing and that JHR is a smaller outfit). I love the feel/communication of the shifts now! I really didn't like the disconnected feeling the OEM bracket rendered. NVH is a tab worse than Id really like, but it is very bearable; you wont really notice the noise if the radio is on.

I would have to say this is a worth-while modification for someone wanting to not spend the money on an entire shifter assembly (MGW), but wants better communication to the transmission, or someone who is happy with the OEM shifter throws. I would not, however, recommend this modification to someone who has a car they just want to cruise around with in comfort. The only reason I say that is because I think for some of those types of people, the small increase in NVH, mainly noise, might be found annoying. I don't mind it so far, myself though.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nice write up, have it on my car for 2000 + miles. Also have there shifter and no problem shifting to third or any gear. The NVH noise became less after about 500 miles on my car. I all most took it off the first 200+ miles, glad I didn't.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice write up and pics!! Thanks and well done ;) one question as I have a different brand mount and noticed when I installed it my shifter mount bracket from trans to shifter side bolt mounts is Black not Yellow as your pics show. Now I have a 2011 mid Nov. 2010 build date. Do you know your build date ? And refresh me if I forgot is your car a 2011 or 12? Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
775 Posts
great write up! i have the jhr shifter and its been one of my best mods to date. i had been planning on stepping up to the bracket in the near future.

G

·
0 Posts
I did the JHR shifter and bracket together two weeks ago and I think they are great products. I have never had a shifting issue and I've been down the track to low 12 second quarter miles with the stock shifter setup. The NVH increase is prominent but not a problem as the Magnaflow exhaust conceals it nicely.
My only complaints are I wish the base of the shifter mated to the reverse lockout more flush-like so the rubber boot made a perfect seal. And also the leather shift boot stretches when shifting to 4th due to the shape of the shift arm moving closer to the driver. Otherwise I am very pleased.

J

·
0 Posts
I'm glad we have members willing to do write ups like this. That's one of the things that makes this community so great. Thanks Mountain. I'll defintely be considering this mount once all the smoke clears and we get a solution for the MT82

·
Registered
775 Posts
>>solution for the MT82<<

dont wait....

this could take a long time as i am not sure FORD thinks thinks they have a real problem.

G

·
0 Posts
It would be more accurate to say "solution for the rough shifting" as the problem may not be only in the MT82.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nice write up, have it on my car for 2000 + miles. Also have there shifter and no problem shifting to third or any gear. The NVH noise became less after about 500 miles on my car. I all most took it off the first 200+ miles, glad I didn't.
Not doubting you a bit, but can you explain/speculate how the NVH could improve with time?

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Good helpful threads

thx, this and the mt-82 shifter thread with Adam from JHR are both subscribed. I have a 2012 pp on order. more noise and vibration are ok for a better shifting experience. just had to go back and add the F in shifting. Mountain keep us updated plz. Also add milage on car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not doubting you a bit, but can you explain/speculate how the NVH could improve with time?
At first I though I had got use to the NVH noise, My problem was fourth had a very loud chatter sound and that is all but gone now. The new bracket is harder than the stock one, that's were we get the NVH noise. I'm thinking it wears or seats it self in with time taking out some of the NVH noise. Other than that I have idea why the NVH noise went down.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice write up and pics!! Thanks and well done ;) one question as I have a different brand mount and noticed when I installed it my shifter mount bracket from trans to shifter side bolt mounts is Black not Yellow as your pics show. Now I have a 2011 mid Nov. 2010 build date. Do you know your build date ? And refresh me if I forgot is your car a 2011 or 12? Thanks again
I'm also curious about the yellow bracket/connector. Is that a different part for 2012 or just a different color?

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Nice stuff Mountain. Thanks!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice write up and pics!! Thanks and well done one question as I have a different brand mount and noticed when I installed it my shifter mount bracket from trans to shifter side bolt mounts is Black not Yellow as your pics show. Now I have a 2011 mid Nov. 2010 build date. Do you know your build date ? And refresh me if I forgot is your car a 2011 or 12? Thanks again
Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

It is a 2012, April 2011 build.

As for the mileage, I am not sure what the mileage is when I installed this the other day... 16xx miles... Right now I have 17xx miles (don't feel like going into my car and looking right now, lol!).

With the yellow shifter support, I am not sure why it is yellow... most of the removed tranmissions/looks under the car I have seen had black supports. I have seen a few pictures on the web of people with yellow supports too.

Did about 80 miles of driving today; Most of it being stop-and-go and city:
-Noise seemed to have quieted down a little. I think this relates to the fluid being up to a higher temperature and coating the internals in the transmission more. The other night was a quick drive later at night, so fluid temp may not have been comparable.
-With the radio ON to my typical volume setting and windows down, I do not notice the increased noise at all. Perhaps just the slightly increase rumble of the engine due to the more rigid sound transfer path.
-With the volume at a level I would equate to where my mother listens and windows down, the noise can still be heard, but faintly. With the windows up and same volume setting on the radio, the noise can still be heard fairly well, but it is easy to get accustomed to/forget.
-So far I have not noticed any real increase in vibration. The only vibration noticable now is when touching/holding the shifter.
-1st gear, with the fluid at higher operating temperature (both yesterday and today were about the same type of climate out; 73F and sunny in stop-and-go), 1st gear seems just a tad... ever so slightly easier to get into.
-2nd gear, does seem to be improved now. Not perfect, but a little better. 2nd is a good deal easier to get into while moving though.

So far, not regretting this modification at all. Very much so enjoying the better driver connection to the transmission. Also, I think some of the noise could be reduced with these more rigid brackets (either Barton or JHR) by maybe placing a thin rubber pad or pads between the mount and the vehicle transmission tunnel. The bracket might have to be trimmed to allow proper alignment to the vehicle transmission tunnel/body. Just a thought. Either that or some other type of isolator somewhere... But, it doesn't really bother me. I am starting to like the noise. It gives the car a little character (keeping exhuast out of the picture; I have stock mufflers) - a little bit of gear noise/shifting noise and an increase in interior engine noise... yup.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No pictures for this update/comparison. I just installed the urethane bushing for the JHR shifter bracket. As of right now, I have only taken the car for a drive around my neighborhood, but I do have a few things to point out that I noticed instantly in comparison to the delrin bushing setup.

-Shifting feels smoother than with the delrin.
-There is a lot less noise compared to the delrin bushing, in fact, I think the noise increase from the stock bracket to the urethane bushed JHR bracket is probably very marginal!
-Shifting feels more isolated, but no where near as detached as with the stock bracket. There is still nice feedback from the shifter.
-From a stand still, and putting the transmission in gear, if you wobble the shifter there is definitely more movement than with the delrin.

I think this is going to be the best option for those who want a better connection to the transmission, but yet want to keep interior noise down as well. Kind like the "comfort" setting for the transmission shifter.

I have to say, from my initial drive, I am impressed with the urethane bushing. Before I even took off, I put the transmission in gear and moved/wobbled the shifter a little to see how much movement there was with the urethane bushing in place. In comparison, the delrin had none, just the shifter had a tad because I have the stock shifter.

Why I am suprised is because when driving, that little bit more of movement with the urethane bushing didn't really show up while shifting. Shifts felt very positive, smooth, but yet more dampened... in a way, more sure footed. The rawness from the delrin was completely gone. No longer can I feel the synchros engaging. Just a slight notch into gear and a positive felt stop.

I will update this again in a couple of days with my thoughts after some extended seat time.

Milage on my car right now is about 4600 miles.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way, in response to an old question, I believe that the yellow shifter support arm is for the V6 cars and the black is for the V8 cars. I think there is a slight difference in where the transmission sits compared to the V8. With this, I think a different length support is used between the two cars so the shifter sits in the same place.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed my JHR bracket today...is there supposed to be a slight gap between the urethane bushing pieces after installation?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was a gap on the delrin bushing that I know for sure. As far as the urethane bushing, I think there was a slight gap as well. I didn't look at that when I installed it. I can say that the shifter box moves up and down just as much as it did with the delrin bushing.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, just to update this with some feedback after about a week of driving with the urethane bushing.

This IS the way that this car should have come from the factory. Hands down.

Everything is as I mentioned before, but the sound increase is basically void compared to the stock piece.

Shifting is just as good as with the delrin bushing. Call me crazy, but with the stock mounts, I think the shifts are better using the urathane bushing. Very noticably to me is that 2nd gear seems to not be having as much of a weird engagement as it did with the stock mount and even the delrin.

I think the delrin bushing is the way to go with a car that has the stiffer engine mounts. I just feel that with the stock mounts allowing the engine and trans to move and the shifter held in place almost completely solid, there is some weird loads going through the shifter assembly somewhere.

Logically, you'd think this wouldn't matter beacuse of the two joints in the shifter linkage, but from my experience so far, it just seems that way. The urethane busing is no where as stiff as the delrin, but shifts are smoother...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts