Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My 05 has been untouched and under the cover in the driveway for about a month now. I remember reading that a few guys have had issues with the battery going dead after a few weeks of not running. So when the weather broke this weekend here in NJ. I decided to go out and see if she was dead. Assuming it would be I dragged the charger with me. I pulled the cover off and she started up without a glitch... I also took her out for a little spin since the salt was washed away by some rain. Ran with no problems.

I am only posting this because those of you who had battery problems may want to look into your charging system...

Just an FYI...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
redfire GT said:
Hey guys,

My 05 has been untouched and under the cover in the driveway for about a month now. I remember reading that a few guys have had issues with the battery going dead after a few weeks of not running. So when the weather broke this weekend here in NJ. I decided to go out and see if she was dead. Assuming it would be I dragged the charger with me. I pulled the cover off and she started up without a glitch... I also took her out for a little spin since the salt was washed away by some rain. Ran with no problems.

I am only posting this because those of you who had battery problems may want to look into your charging system...

Just an FYI...
I would think that would happen to most cars in this cold weather if you let it sit too long. I was in a training class for work last week and i took the acura since it was nasty weather out. The stang was sitting in the garage for a whole week, but every couple days i would let it run for 5 min to protect it from dying(since it was getting into the 20s at night which kills the battery if it just sits there)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Whoops, double post....dumb IE not loading.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I thought I'd read a thread somewhere that a few of the guys having trouble had the shaker stereo and someone suggested the system didnt shut down fully if radio left on, draining battery in a week or so? sound familiar anyone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Stay tuned! I haven't tried to start mine yet; been undercover (Ontario, Canada) since mid-Nov. Hope to try it this weekend. But in the end: why not just go out and put a "trickle charger" on it for a day or so each month, until your meter shows it's charged? That's the easiest way, I think.:winks

tw0scoops123 said:
I would think that would happen to most cars in this cold weather if you let it sit too long. I was in a training class for work last week and i took the acura since it was nasty weather out. The stang was sitting in the garage for a whole week, but every couple days i would let it run for 5 min to protect it from dying(since it was getting into the 20s at night which kills the battery if it just sits there)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
GiddyupGo said:
Stay tuned! I haven't tried to start mine yet; been undercover (Ontario, Canada) since mid-Nov. Hope to try it this weekend. But in the end: why not just go out and put a "trickle charger" on it for a day or so each month, until your meter shows it's charged? That's the easiest way, I think.:winks
This all sounds really odd to me. I have let my truck sit for almost two *years* and it started right up, as though I drove it every day. What kind of batteries are in the Mustangs [mine gets delivered first week of January, weather permitting]? I have a Wal-Mart battery in the truck now and it won't stay charged for two months of non-driving. My old one was a deep cycle battery, like for trolling motors and such. It also lasted forever. Almost nine years.

Took in a trade on a Subaru that was fifteen years old. The owners had bought it brand new. Original battery. Same with a Saab, now that I think about it. Put a Wal-Mart battery in the Jaguar and it only lasted three years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts