Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished getting the car fitted with a duel exaust with an H-Pipe. I must say I am quite impressed with the sound and look. I used GT Takeoffs, for the money, I can't see going any other way.

Here are a few pics as well as a sound clip for those of you that would like to hear how this sounds. I have no other modifications to the engine etc yet...

From the back:
https://intranet.alphadata.com/uploads/img_2143.jpg

From the side:
https://intranet.alphadata.com/uploads/img_2144.jpg

Sound Clip:
https://intranet.alphadata.com/uploads/mvi_2148.avi

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Wow, I never realized how much the GT Bumper actually covered up compared to the V6

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kyle F said:
Wow, I never realized how much the GT Bumper actually covered up compared to the V6
Yeah, kinda supprised me as well! I actually think it looks pretty good with all that chrome coming out...

Heh, definately do not need to put tips on the sucker!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
is the stock rear bumper..has to be but the V6 has a "cut out" on the rt side correct????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds good! I'm thinking of doing this myself. Did you use the GT h-pipe and driver's over-axle pipe as well? Did it all just bolt right on? Where did you get it all? TIA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimp said:
Sounds good! I'm thinking of doing this myself. Did you use the GT h-pipe and driver's over-axle pipe as well? Did it all just bolt right on? Where did you get it all? TIA
Thanks! I think it sounds pretty darn good myself, the main reason I went with the GT mufflers besides the fact I could get them a lot cheeper was the fact that Ford spent a LOT of money trying to get a good sound on the stock mufflers, and I figured it has to be good, and if it was not, since I already have the piping in, I could always get other muffs if I was not satisfied. When the muffler dude took it off the stands, and cranked her up, he said" "dang, did not think stock mufflers could sound that good" Oh, and he said since the mufflers hang down so low that I should get some hi-temp paint and paint the body of the mufflers, so when I went to the store right after the install, I was walking across the parking lot of walmart and some guy yells" " hey mustang guy! What do you have in that thing?" I yelled back, its just a six, and he said" " dang, it sounds good, and looks damn good too!" With that comment, not 10 mins after the install, it paid for itself!!

As far as the install, It was the v6 bumper, and it does have a cut out already on the right side, had a friend of mine that works at a body shop do the cut on the left side. I probably could have done it myself, but was a bit nervous cutting on the car, so I left that to the professional. The muffler shop just took the passenger side over-axle pipe off, and made a new one for the driver's side by using that one as a guide, after he made the pipe, he put them both on, then made an H-pipe and welded it between the driver and passenger pipes. So the only GT parts I had were the mufflers, everything else was custom made by the shop. I got the GT take-offs off ebay for $26.50, and the welding and custom pipes made and put on for $200. Not a bad deal in my opinion considering most of the kits out there are around 500 to 600 not including install. Oh, and they also made custom hangers at no additional charge.. It was the first time the shop had done a 05/06 mustang, and they did say after the job that it was not the easist in the world, so the price was going up to $300 after my install.. HA! Total it took them about 2 hrs to do it... One guy was making the custom pipes and the other did the welding where required.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It looks good and sounds great. I'm also thinking about doing this but I have not decided on going with the H or the X pipe yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rgensemer said:
It looks good and sounds great. I'm also thinking about doing this but I have not decided on going with the H or the X pipe yet.
Thanks rgensemer! I know this has been a big debate on weither to go H or X, I actually went to as many mustang forums as I could to try and get a consensus on sound between the two, writing down every comment on which sounded deeper, as that was what I wanted. It seems the majority thought the H gave a deeper sound so thats why I went that way, of course, there are lots of opinions either way!

·
Registered
161 Posts
ive got a burning question... is the x-pipe smog legal? and H or X pipe, which would be more beneficial as far as hp goes provided that both are accompanied by the same GT take offs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GumDropLarry said:
ive got a burning question... is the x-pipe smog legal? and H or X pipe, which would be more beneficial as far as hp goes provided that both are accompanied by the same GT take offs.
Pretty sure the X-pipe if fine for smog restrictions, now, I know you can purchase offroad x-pipes, but I do not know what the difference is with those. Muffler dude, did not even flinch when asking which pipe I wanted X or H, as in it was no big deal either way...

From what I have been able to discern through various posts, is that you will not see much (if any) difference between the two in hp gains. Some of the posts I have read however, say that you will get better hp performance out of an X-Pipe if you are doing major engine upgrades etc.

Again, though, I am no expert, and am just repeating forum posts I have read here and there...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do you need two O2 sensors?

Okay, I have a question. What about the left side O2 sensor? Doesn't the GT have an O2 sensor on the driver's and passenger's side pipes? If they shop fabricated the pipes i'm assuming there is still only your stock right side sensor, right? How does this affect anything? I'm going to go duals...but am concerned about this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Okay, I have a question. What about the left side O2 sensor? Doesn't the GT have an O2 sensor on the driver's and passenger's side pipes? If they shop fabricated the pipes i'm assuming there is still only your stock right side sensor, right? How does this affect anything? I'm going to go duals...but am concerned about this.
Ah, I do have an answer for this one... the O2 sensors are before the Cats, and you do the dual pipes after the Cats, so there is no issue with this. Since this is the case, there are probably 2 O2 sensors in the v6 as well. If you look at your undercarriage piping, you will see that you have two cats, and after the cats they come together in a y-pipe, then out the back on the passenger side. When you go duels, you cut the pipes at the y, so they do not join together, and from there back, you have seperate pipes all the way back... (of course you can have an H or X pipe between them) Hope that makes sense... if not, I can probably draw a quick diagram to show you....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went with the GT stock mufflers on my V6!!!

Thanks to a driver who ran out of talent, rear ending me. State Farm for letting me put the GT rear bumper on my car...

I Had a local shop do the custom pipe work... I think it turned out pretty well!!! The only thing I can suggest is that you spend the $45 for the factory hangers... Makes it much nicer to deal with!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice man! looks very good... I should have taken pics of the underside when I had mine done too... much easier then trying to explain it... heh

·
Registered
86 Posts
FireStriker said:
Nice man! looks very good... I should have taken pics of the underside when I had mine done too... much easier then trying to explain it... heh
Thanks I am really happy with it.... :kooky:

·
Registered
42 Posts
If any of you are looking for stock GT mufflers, PM me. I have a pair to sell. They have 6,000 miles on them. I also have the H pipe w/cats and headers.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
FireStriker said:
Yeah, kinda supprised me as well! I actually think it looks pretty good with all that chrome coming out...

Heh, definately do not need to put tips on the sucker!
Good job. They should have made the 6 Dually anyway from the factory.

But its Stainless steel, not chrome.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If anyone is interested, I got the two gt mufflers and the H-pipe. I don't know what they are going for or how much shippng would be. I'm in Houston if anyone in the area is interested. PM me if you like.

·
Registered
86 Posts
J&D said:
If anyone is interested, I got the two gt mufflers and the H-pipe. I don't know what they are going for or how much shippng would be. I'm in Houston if anyone in the area is interested. PM me if you like.
The Cats, and H from the factory are like $1,400

I paid $75 for my GT mufflers shipped.... Pretty fair price!!!

How much do you want for the cats and the H?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.