Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have just bought a '92 LX with a 302 rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago. Not sure of the internals because the person I bought it from didn't know as he didn't build it and isn't much of a car guy. It sounds like it may have a small cam in it. It has shorty headers, BBK SSI intake, 65mm TB, Vortech V1 supercharger with the Vortech FMU, MSD coil, 3:73 gears, aluminum driveshaft and other goodies. My question is there is a large oil leak and I am pretty sure it is the BBK intake. I have read about the leak through the PCV and also about plugging it and then venting the crankcase. I am assuming you would vent it right through the valve covers? I have BBK valve covers also and there is already kind of a vent that comes off the oil filler in the cover and then goes to the cold air intake. Do I just take off the other cover and cut a hole in it and install a breather with a nipple to T off of the cold air? Has anyone had any luck with this or doing it a different way? Even keeping it the way it is and stopping the oil leak? Any help would be much appreciated. The oil leak is pretty bad as the entire bottom of the car mostly on the passenger side is cover in oil. The clutch is bad and I wonder if the oil leak didn't have something to do with that also. Again, thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
It is probably from all that crankcase pressure.

So do you have a PCV hooked up?

Are there any open element breathers on either of the valve covers?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is probably from all that crankcase pressure.

So do you have a PCV hooked up?

Are there any open element breathers on either of the valve covers?
I believe the PCV is hooked up. The hose from the cold air inlet going to the oil filler on the valve cover is there so it is getting air in but I don't know about out yet. After I put a new clutch in it I am going to take off the intake to see. The PCV is in a very difficult area to see. No open elements. That was what I was wondering if that would help?

·
Registered
382 Posts
if you remove the egr valve you can get to the pcv valve without taking off the intake, I have been running the bbk ssi intake for 4 years without a problem no oil leaks or fuel leaks, if your blowing oil your pcv could be blocked or maybe it has been removed and blocked off your engine should be running a vacumm pull the oil filler cap and see if you can fill a suction

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you remove the egr valve you can get to the pcv valve without taking off the intake, I have been running the bbk ssi intake for 4 years without a problem no oil leaks or fuel leaks, if your blowing oil your pcv could be blocked or maybe it has been removed and blocked off your engine should be running a vacumm pull the oil filler cap and see if you can fill a suction
Thanks, I will check it out once I get done with the clutch. This is a project my son and I are working on and with both of our schedules we can only work on it during part of the weekend. Hopefully we will have the clutch back together this weekend and then I can pull off the intake. I would just as soon do that and then I can also rule out a failure in the rear gasket/seal. I will start it first though to check on suction or pressure. Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts