Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just recently bought a 1995 mustang gt 5.0HO auto, about 180xxx basically stock, broke as hell yet i need more power without a complete rebuild. i like dragging yet i like going sideways, need facts and/or opinions on anything and everything about sn95 5.0's.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
176 Posts
What type of budget are you working with we can make the best recommendations from there.

Are there any repairs needed? I would start with those first. Have you had a compression test done? More information we have the better advice we can give you.

You want an idea of what type of condition a 180k mile engine is in before you start dumping money into making produce more power. From there you can gauge where too put your limited funds or whether it's even worth it.

·
Administrator
8,900 Posts
Welcome to the site! Do you need this vehicle for day to day transportation or is it just a toy? If it is a daily driver I agree with Dork Vader, save your limited funds for repairs and maintenance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just started working for my dad programming cars, so it depends on the week on how much i have, lets just say i had a min wage job, and ill put any extra aside for a rebuild. it is currently a daily driver, the car ran into to someone so it needs cosmetics on the front, it was running warm because the knowitall before me had the wrong hose, wrong style of hose, it wasnt even meant for any vehicle. i havent done compression tests, ive just changed the oil and it was filthy but didnt seem to low, doesnt seem to leak. but i have to wait on my dad or my old boss to help with a compression test because i lack the tools and knowledge. and since the car is a daily driver i would like to make sure it handles nice and tight, needs a rear shock already so i was going to save up for name brand. im not saying let me go shove a turbo on my 5.0, im just thinking your basic cam intake headers, its got flowmasters on it, i believe stage 1, they said the trans was just rebuilt but it shifts kind of weird, sometimes it hesitates when im staying still in drive like its in neutral for a second, ill probably regret getting the auto over standard trans but i cant complain when i traded a floor rotted civic for it. coolbeans.gif my biggest questions are how to up the suspension and maintain everything properly, common problems with 5.0 and the reputable autotrans everyone loves so much, and after i get a compression test if headers intake and cam are worth it. im not looking for cobra heads or anything, probably just a junkyard gt40 intake, shorty headers and maybe a new computer for data and tuning if there even worth it being obd1. my dads been a mechanic his whole life yet he never has time and when he does its one of those hear hold the flashlight deals. also to my knowledge alot of people rebuild the 92+ mustangs to switch to forged pistons because mine has the hyper blah blah ********, are they really as bad as everyone says or is that opinionated?

thanks for all the help in advance.

·
Boss Member
4,607 Posts
Welcome to the site. Maurice

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
With 180k on the odometer, IMHO, I would just drive & enjoy it......and save the $ for future repairs that are sure to come............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the welcomes everyone, and thanks beechkid, I'm considering just doing maintinence and anything that comes along, and save my money for an 89 fox so i start with forged pistons and everything, thanks for the advice everyone

·
Registered
624 Posts
welcome to the site, Yes id save up and do the main car stuff for the time being, get something that youll enjoy building that will also last you hopefully a life time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts