Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought my first mustang the other day. It is a 1998 mustang cobra. My first question is what do they do 0-60 and the 1/4 mile? Also what is the first step at modding them, are there any major problems that these have. Thanks.
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I would agree the higher revving 4V can use a 4.10 to maximize the power. I drove a 98 a month ago with 4.10s and a couple bolt ons. That thing would burn rubber until it hit 60, then chirp 3rd hard at 70 mph! It was a blast! :happyhapp I also would recommend subframes to prevent the twist and handle better. A good shfter should also be one of your first mods to help save the trans and provide more driver feedback to make positive shifts. BTW at 75 mph you will be spinning 2696 rpm, so if you do alot of highway driving I would research this a little more to make sure you can live with that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, would a better exhaust system help. I dont know much about it other than it is dual side exiting and has a nice rumble:eyepoppin

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It sounds like it already has good aftermarket exhaust. Those side kits are pricey. Look and see if the stock mid pipe is still in place, its the pipe connecting the manifolds to the cat back with the cat. converters. My stock one has 6 cats on it! If it is then you could benefit from a free flowing X, with or without cats.

·
Registered
83 Posts
GR40Snake said:
Congrats. Ford says 1/4=13.99 0-60=5.9. Totaly stock 98 Cobra's dyno a 260rwhp+/-. First mod 4.10 gears. Sub frame connectors (at least) are also a must. See my sig.
<O:p</O:p
www.maximummotorsports.com<O:p></O:p>

[url="http://www.griggsracing.com>>"]www.griggsracing.com<O:p></O:p>[/url]
I've got 4.10's on my '99 Cobra, and I love 'em. Feels really strong. Only thing is I can't control it on take off-- it will take some practice. The 4.10's are great, but my 1/4 time is just over 14 s, and until I learn to launch with them, I will lose alot of races that start from zero. Starting from a roll, that's a totally different story...

My x-pipe with Magnaflows sounds awesome.

·
Registered
70 Posts
After I installed a MagnaFlow X-Pipe with two high flow cats (one on each side) I gained 15rwhp, with no other changes, into MagnPac dumps. Save your OEM H-Pipe if you plan on passing a smog test. All my mods combined gives me about 30rwhp more peak and about 55rwhp more at redline 6800rpm.:eyepoppin

4.10's and a solid rear axel go together just fine:drool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.