Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this thread was more out of excitement than anything else, but I just bought a turbo coupe rear with all of the brakes and whatnot. It was from an auto, so its got the 3:73's, which should speed her up a little too. I do have a few questions...

1) How much does the jump from 2:73's to 3:73's actually make 1/4 mile time wise? (I realize this is really kind of an impossible question, but assuming you dont just sit and spin... 2 tenths or more or less or what? I obviously have no idea..lol)

2) On the stock 'Stang rear, is there a small metal box-like connection on the drivers side of the diff on the front side where the brake hardlines connect and travel to the softies near the wheels? With this rear I cut the line before there, so that if the 'Stang had it there too, I may just be able to plug it in with no fittings troubles...

3) Do the caliper pistons just press back in like a normal one, or are they like the Lincoln ones, which apparently twist in, so you have to buy some sort of a special tool?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Aren't those a little wider than the fox assembly, housingwise?
I'm pretty sure it will be ok to swap it in, but you might have to measure carefully if spec'ing out some fat rubber. Is it a four lug? If not, I'm pretty sure that there is a four lug rotor available at parts stores, which will work with your stock four lug axles - after milling a little bit of outer diameter off of the axle/lug flanges. Then you would really just be swapping the brakes and gears into your fox housing. I think I remember you saying you wanted to keep the four lug...

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I'd say atleast 4 tenths faster

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from the research Ive done it should be an exact swap mounting wise, but it is 3/4" longer on each side. Im still running stock tires (225/60/15) though, so they shouldnt even be close to rubbing. Also it is 4 lug. The only reason I really wanted to stay 4 lug was because wheels and tires at the same time are freakin' expensive. Plus I think I have decided that i want to run 93 Cobra wheels, so its just easier this way...

.4 is a whole lot..... sweet..... ;)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
yea the mustang has that little "box" for the brake lines "hardlines on the body-softline between the two hardlines. if you really wanted to, you dont even have to change the housing, just switch the gears, and axles, although if you arent doin it yourself it could get expensive labor wise. but yea it should be a bolt in conversion, sweet! it will also bring out the wheels to sit perfectly within the fenderwells. to know if the calipers twist in or press in, look at the piston. if its a hollow cup piston, then it will just press in. if the piston is a flat , black top, with two grooves on each side, then they twist in. dont forget that you need e brake cables too!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah they are flat pistons, and i thought that might mean they were twist ins... Does anyone know where I can get a tool to compress them? I know I need e-brake cables and have heard that 84-86 SVO are the correct ones. Although I do have the e-brake cables from the 'bird, the ends that would normally just have the little chunk of metal on the end on our Mustangs, has a threaded rod, so Im assuming that they have a different system than the Mustang use.

Does anyone have experience with different Master Cylinders, I can get an SN95 MC for only $32 from Napa, because I work at Sears, but would a 93 Corba, or something be better? I dont know which are aluminum and which are cast iron. I do want a relatively small MC, since I will be retaining the stock brake booster and I dont want to have to change it, cause its expensive.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
the 84-86 svo master cylinders are cast iron, i wouldnt get that one simply because its ugly and has a big metal resevoir on it. a 93 cobra master cylinder would probably be your best bet but an sn 95 will work as well. they are not direct bolt in though (line wise) you will need an adapter to make it work properly. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/svo.asp check them out. i believe the e brake cables that you need are still available through ford motorsport, but am not positive on that. as far as a piston compressor, i know that matco has one. i like matco and thats all i use, so you can check out snap on too but it will be twice as much for the same quality. http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T the compressor is part number DB25

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You also need the four wheel disk proportioning valve. Again, '93 Cobra would be optimal, but you may have to settle for one from an SN-95 or possibly the one from the 'bird - I'm pretty sure a junkyard or possibly the $$$dealer$$$ are the only places to get one.
Or you could get an adjustable one...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be getting an adjustable proportioning valve probably 'cause Summit has it for only $40 or so. I will check on the price for the '93 Cobra MC. Does anyone know if the Cobra one is aluminum? The ebrake cables are friggin expensive no matter what you do. Napa will cost me about $100 for both. Ebay is $90 or so. Wow, that kinda sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do right ;)? It turns out that I have the compressors for the calipers at work which is nice.

Apparently the MC from the T-Bird will not work, thanks again guys

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Stangboy5666 said:
Does anyone know if the Cobra one is aluminum?
I think it looks just like the GT of that year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.