Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i took on the fun challenge of changing my brakes myself

so i got Centric full ceramic brakes front and back from rockauto.com for $90 shipped

so i got them yesterday and all you need is
13/16 socket for the rims
12mm socket for the two bolts that hold on part of the caliper
13mm socket for the two bolts that hold on the rear part of the caliper
4" C-clamp for the front pistons for caliper
rear brake piston compressor

well the first step is obvious take off wheel. and i took of mine and cleaned my rims fully inside and out
after the wheel is off take the 12mm to the bolts that go into the rubber part of the caliper not the 2 bolts that hold on the complete caliper assembly
take out the old brake pads and check if there is any unusual wear on the pads. put in the new pads and and then compress the piston with the C-clamp so u can get the rest of the caliper on and be careful of the clips that on the front pads that go on the out side of the caliper ( you will see what im taking about when u take off the old pads and put on the new pads). make sure that it is on correctly then tighten the bolts back on and thats it for the front

Now its fun time for the back brake pads
take off the wheels again just the back tires now. use the 13mm socket to take off the 2 bolts just like you did on the front caliper. take out the old pads and do the same thing you did with the front check them now comes the fun part. use the rear brake piston compressor and compress all the way until the rubber gasket is infront of the piston. this will take some time and on the rear brake pads there is a little nub has to line up with the slots that are on the caliper other wise the 2 bolts u took out will not line up. do that and put the wheel on and tighten them up
get in your can and turn it on and pump the brake pedal until u feel it harden up

do a small brake test, roll backwards and test the brake

i did my front brakes yesterday and did a small test 0-60-0 and i did it in about 130ft and i was not pushing it very hard, and i have not done a test with my full brake setup plus my friend that was helping me wants to measure it out and ill let u guys know

and since these are full ceramic i will let you guys know how much brake dust will come off when i do my track day and after a month of normal driving

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya the rear brakes were a pain in my a$$ much harder than the front

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
nice going 00. good thread too.

i`d like to add that all the parts should be cleaned, and if the tin clips arent replaced, they should be cleaned, and then in either case should be greased with some high temp grease. like you said, those clips are different so dont mix them up and pay attention to how they are clipped on to the calipers. i go a step farther and apply grease to the piston edges and the caliper fingers where the pads rest

the pins should be inspected too and if they are dry or the boots are cracked, they should be cleaned and greased. on the end of the pins, there is a nut with a flat spot. that flat has to line up with the flat on the calipers.

the 2 nubs on the rear pads need to line up with the v slots on the piston. turn the piston so the v slots are straight up and down when you put them on. you can pull easy 5 or 6 times on the e brake to set the rear pads and make sure it feels good again.

some guys dont like the ceramic pads, ive used them for a few years and like em just fine. i dont get any brake dust to speak of. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for bringing those couple of points up that i forgot amustangrocks

so far i love the ceramic pads

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
thanks for bringing those couple of points up that i forgot amustangrocks

so far i love the ceramic pads
no prob, didnt mean to step on your thread either. its been a while since i did our brakes so its not fresh in my mind, i might have missed something too. ive done the 05 a couple times and the 06 once so far.

theres still a slight dust off the ceramics, but no where near the other pads. keeping the wheels clean is pretty easy. i think even in time you will still like them. nice job on the diy :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya this was the first time i did my brakes on my 06, i've done my brothers brakes on his 01 GT that was some what easier cause it was all new parts

im happy so far because my wheels r staying nice and clean since my wheels r a PITA to clean so many nooks and crannies to get into

1 - 7 of 7 Posts