Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2001 cobra, 68,000 miles on it and its super clean. I want to start building it up but I don't know where to start! I know exhaust/intake is always good. But do I go with some cat backs? Long tube headers? X-pipe? Maybe roush exaust? I also heard about swapping out the rear end for a same year GT, due to the independent suspension. Any suggestions from personal experience and or cobra knowledge would be great! And yes, i know, a terminator would have been the ideal cobra buy but hey, us people in the army don't make the big bucks! lol:)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just bought a 2001 cobra, 68,000 miles on it and its super clean. I want to start building it up but I don't know where to start! I know exhaust/intake is always good. But do I go with some cat backs? Long tube headers? X-pipe? Maybe roush exaust? I also heard about swapping out the rear end for a same year GT, due to the independent suspension. Any suggestions from personal experience and or cobra knowledge would be great! And yes, i know, a terminator would have been the ideal cobra buy but hey, us people in the army don't make the big bucks! lol:)
i say put the money you would be spending on boltons in a seperate account,,very fast you will have enough saved to convert yours into a terminator,,,

as you search here and other places you will see modding costs alot,than you beat on car harder that cost more in gas, than tires are every other month,than clutch,

so it really depends on what you want out of your car when done

and thanks for the service:bigthumbsupmy son joined the marines,,,they pay the same...good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! As I do more research I'm find that doing a termi power-train swap is the way to go. But at the end of the day, if can have my 01 put 500hp+ to the floor with bolt-ons, a few other mods and a KB I'd be more then happy. Ya know? And thank you for your support and best of luck to your Marine. "One team, One Fight!!":thanks:

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well herein the problem lies...you cannot put down 500hp on the stock engine, it does not have forged pistons/rods, about 400-450rwhp is it's limit...now I have 400+ and trust me it's fast
Next did you know a Kenne Bell costs $4100? Now add supporting mods, install and tuning and it can easily cost $6000 just to get that on
Now, a terminator engine is about $5000, in one fell swoop you can be blown, forged and intercooled...sell the motor you have and drive off into the sunset...
Learn from my experience on this....note my next mod to my Cobra is to sell the 4.6/KB and drop the 5.4 GT500 engine in

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
ok, now I'll address the other questions, a cat back is nice, however you really just need mufflers to improve flow and sound...the car has a nice 2.25" stainless system on it from the factory
Headers are nice as well, with an H pipe you can get some nice gains, however do you have about $1500 cash for all of it?
My advice is leave the IRS on the car, it can be beefed up with poly bushings and such to take any amount of abuse
Two of the best Cobra mods are a Pro 5.0 shifter and 3.73 rear end gears...I'd start there if I was you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
if you have a daily driver you can get alot of used parts...i did long tubes/or xpipe and flow master cat back..i also got the catted xpipe...didnt like sound,,,i have kept all the old parts so if ever i need them,,i got them..and i think the stock chrome tail is fatter....the other cool thing with irs is some guys polish there pipes cause you can see them..looks awesome with chrome cobra letters and fat 335`s

with a look like that who really cares how fast it is...

i also got a used tuner,,predator off ebay,,50 bucks,,,

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../728397-official-polished-exhaust-thread.html

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep first decide what you want to do with her.

If it's some fast street & strip, 2many hits it right on. Start with the gears and short throw, you'll need / want those to start with anyway.

Of course for audio and visual you've got to open up the exhaust and fatten up with enough rubber to hook up with.... yeah right ;)

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
some beneficial mods scrap that stock shifter,remove the heavy restrictive midpipe and go off road if you don't have emissions,a hand held to import tunes,lower fans temps etc.. Lowering springs and CC plates are 2 other good ideas:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice guys. Definitely gonna grab me a shifter and some 3.73s in the rear. As for the 03-04 swap, I know in would be the cheaper route but I would love the experience of completely rebuilding my motor. And with taxes in the not to far future, with a little savings, I'll be on the right track now. Thanks a bunch and I looking foreward to sharing my progress with everyone!!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I'd hold off on the gear change til you decide what your long term goals are. I was gonna go 4.30's a couple years ago then I decided to build the motor and supercharge it, it still breaks the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd gear with 3.27's, with 4.30's 1st,2nd and half of third would be useless unless you ran real sticky tires at all times not just track..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 96 auto and a 98 5spd. Go with centrifugal. They
Work better on the pre-terminators. First should be 4.10s.
You may swap the motor for a terminator,but there is about
An 80 lb difference you will be adding because the 03-04
Have iron blocks. Do yourself a favor, go on eBay or amazon
And buy 2 books. Sean Hylunds book on modifying the 4.6/5.4
And another one with a 96 orange cobra on the cover called "building
Horsepower on the dyno". A wealth of knowledge with tons
Of trial and error testing on parts for these cars.:bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts