Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in the title I just got a 1989 gt and its bone stock, looking for some advice as to give some more punch. So far I have given it a cold air intake, steeda adjustable clutch cable kit and a flex fan (wich I hate by the way) please help with any advice you may have. Planing on headers but not sure if I should go long tube or short, I would love to get a better throttle response but dont know how to get it. looking at after market throttle badys but dont know how big I can go or if I have to change anything else... Thank you for any help

·
Registered
480 Posts
the biggets thing for feeling the difference (other than forced induction or nitrous) would be to look into rear end gears. 3.73, 4.10 or something in the range of those.

for a mild setup i'd recommend shorty headers. i just don't think the power difference on a mild setup is worth the pain and extra cost. if you plan on taking the build somewhere, and don't mind getting to the point of having to cuss at install, consider long tubes.

do you have specific power goals?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i agree 4:10's would make the biggest difference.if your on a budget ported gt40 heads and intake will help alot

·
Registered
313 Posts
keep it stock!!:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup will be worth more later on!!

ha...I know thats hard....long tube headers as a general rule usually make more power...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have thought about getting into the rear end, as far as a hp range not sure more or less Im looking for a 1/4 mile time mid to low 11s. (eventually) Biggest thing is dont want to add a somewhat better mod and then have to or need to change that mod out for something bigger or better later if possible. I am on a slight budget like most people today but do have the money to get it done over time... for right now I was looking for mainly bolt on stuff like a bigger throttle body and if needed a spacer, intake, the gt40 heads sound like a popular mod. I guess the thing is Im not sure what each of the mods effect like the throttle body spacer for example, exept the typical big mods like headers and intake manifold. Sorry this got really long. Ill break it down real quick this is the newest car I have taken on as a project everything before dated from a 1926 model t with a Merc flat head to 1978 camaro all carbureted no computers, fuel injetion, MAF sensors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did buy the car originally to keep it stock because it is so super clean all original the seats look brand new little old lady car had it since it was new not a spek of oil on the engine or under... but Ive had it about a month and thats as long as I could take it satock lol:gringreen I am keeping all the stock parts for it allthoughjust incase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts