Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a C&L Cold Air Intake on my 2011 V6. I must say its a great addition to the car as it breathes much better and I do feel the difference.

I ordered the SCT SF3/X3 tuner and will tune it next. I do want to add on a set of aftermarket pipes and or catbacks.

I need some help as I do not want to reduce the fuel efficiency of the car so if I can get some suggestions please let me know on what pipes are good in combination with the tunes.

Thanks!!

Some pics of the Air Filter

By sangria7

By sangria7

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too just installed the C&L CIA - I notice the difference too. Sounds pretty good as well.

I have a question for ya, does your's like .. "whistle" kind of between acceleration? Kind of a whistle or whizz?

Also, did you end up drilling that hole in the air flow to connect the bottom portion of the heat shield? I was pressed for time and didn't end up doing it initially, but at the same time the main body that the filter goes into didn't fit as snug as I thought it should have. Maybe it's a misalignment on my part, but the bottom where the hole is to drill doesn't line up very well with the air flow vent.

How was your installation?

I got the tuner/CIA combo - It's awesome as well. I have the 87 Street tune on right now, shifts through the low gears so smoothly and brings you up to speed real fast =)

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Just get whichever exhaust you like the sound of, none are big power producers and none will affect the fuel economy much.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too just installed the C&L CIA - I notice the difference too. Sounds pretty good as well.

I have a question for ya, does your's like .. "whistle" kind of between acceleration? Kind of a whistle or whizz?

Also, did you end up drilling that hole in the air flow to connect the bottom portion of the heat shield? I was pressed for time and didn't end up doing it initially, but at the same time the main body that the filter goes into didn't fit as snug as I thought it should have. Maybe it's a misalignment on my part, but the bottom where the hole is to drill doesn't line up very well with the air flow vent.

How was your installation?

I got the tuner/CIA combo - It's awesome as well. I have the 87 Street tune on right now, shifts through the low gears so smoothly and brings you up to speed real fast =)

I have not noticed any whistle/whizz sound between acceleration but I will definitely look for it and will let you know if I notice any.

As for the bottom part of the heat shield all I did was use the rubber rim on the stock air flow and punctured a small hole in it and bolted it through thatt to hold the bottom portion. Seems to work well as the rubber was very thick and set it into place much better than drilling into the plastic. As you mentioned the heat shield does not perfectly align. Everything seems tight though and using the rubber from the air flow as the lower anchor gives it ability to flex. Lastly that rubber would be easier to fix/replace than the plastic.

·
Registered
43 Posts

I believe thats a characteristic of cai in general. My jlt does that and I've heard others describe the same sound - it's the air being sucked into the engine.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I believe thats a characteristic of cai in general. My jlt does that and I've heard others describe the same sound - it's the air being sucked into the engine.
I have the airaid system and there is definitely a nice whistle sound every time I press the gas. I also get a NICE rumble accelerating through 3k-4k rpms.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
The whistle is a general CAI characteristic.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I figured as much but I wasn't sure as there is an obvious difference in sound to the stock air filter. It's my first time with a CAI and I just wanted to make sure I installed it correctly, and that the whistle wasn't a leak of some sort. Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts