Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a BBK CAI and used a 87 octane performance tune from Bamachips. As I was out for a test drive I noticed a pinging noise at around 4000 RPM's. If I rev the engine to 4000 RPM's in neutral I dont hear the noise.

During my normal driveing conditions I dont typically get up to 4000 RPM's and if I do, I'm not listening like I was today (with the windows down and my head out the window). I am assuming that this is a new problem.

Is my tune to aggressive? Is it the 87 octane? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Where is the noise coming from?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe its from the engine. When I get above 4K RPM's its not the strong screaming roar (for lack of better description) it's pingy. I going to go fill up with some higher octane, retune and see how that works.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
that sounds like detonation. on a full tank of gas, pour some octane booster, or run the highest grade octane fuel available and see if you hear pinging.

this can potentially be bad for your engine if you do nothing.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
You could also return to the stock tune, and run all the gas out to be safe.Then fill an entire tank of the octane on the tune. Octane booster may be easier as Brent05Redfire stated. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was already on E. I just put in some 89 and retuned it. Sounds a little better but not 'perfect'.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bernt, yeah detonation, not good. read up on it a little. I may go to 91 after I burn off this 89. I ran it hard a few times in 3rd around 4K RPM's you think any harm was done?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is news to me I was under the impression I would be able to run the same old sh#$.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Did you put crappy gas in the car? I personally always use shell 93 octane they say its the cleanest gas you can buy. Sometimes the cheaper gas will cause this to happen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replys. Mark, what does the add 2% or 1* mean. I assume you are recomending modifying my 87 octane tune. Would you mind explaining this a little more or directing me to a resource for that. The 89 torque tune seems good, and I will probably move up to 91 octane next fill up. I would still like to iron out the wrinkles in the 87 tune. Do you think I should work it out with Doug?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Mark, what does the add 2% or 1* mean. I assume you are recomending modifying my 87 octane tune. Would you mind explaining this a little more or directing me to a resource for that. The 89 torque tune seems good, and I will probably move up to 91 octane next fill up. I would still like to iron out the wrinkles in the 87 tune. Do you think I should work it out with Doug?
When it asks you if you want to modify parameters, say yes. When it gets to spark you can subtract 1 degree at 0-2000, 2000-4000, and 4000-8000 rpms, or if you have the global spark option, pull 1 degree. When you get to WOT fuel, add 2%. Then save and reflash the tune.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks... I will remember the if I have to go back to 87.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Bernt, yeah detonation, not good. read up on it a little. I may go to 91 after I burn off this 89. I ran it hard a few times in 3rd around 4K RPM's you think any harm was done?
you will be okay with the few short pulls you did. it's not like you ran it hard all the time, like at the track.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brent05...That's good to know. CAI and tune must have been some improvement, I keep finding reasons to drive around the block and my wife wanted to drive it too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.