Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, after 3 months of owning my 2013 Mustang GT, some jerk off who wasn't paying attention backs into my front fender/bumper.

This was all after I had just washed/waxed the car... I was entering this parking lot and I noticed this Jeep Grand Cherokee with his reverse lights on... just sitting in his parking spot. I had to drive past him to go to a good, secluded parking spot. I sat for a second to see if he would pull out of his spot because I thought he was letting me go by, so I began to inch forward. I then noticed a large wet area directly after his car covering the entire parking lot, and I was pondering whether or not to track water on my clean, waxed car, or park into my second choice parking spot behind where I was. I was directly behind the guy at this time, and all of a sudden, he charges out of his parking spot, quite quickly, and just slams into my passenger side front fender/side bumper and crinks my headlight out of alignment. I honked 3 times while he was backing into me too. He said he looked all around before pulling out. Liar. He pushed my car to the left about 2 feet.

This all happened on Tuesday. The guys insurance assumed liability. I took it to a Geico-approved shop (a Ford dealership auto-body called Lindsay Ford). There's 2800 dollars of damage done to the car. The fender is being replaced, but they were about to just fix the bumper. I called the shop manager and finagled a plan to just replace the bumper, which after negating the labor and painting associated with fixing the bumper that the estimate covers, it's only 68 extra dollars to just replace it. So I'm going that route. The Geico adjuster also told me that an aftermarket fender is being put on. This really got me going. I told him that I wanted OEM Ford parts put on it and nothing aftermarket. I then called the managers and expressed concern over aftermarket parts and they both told me that Ford parts were being put on, including the new bumper that I'm paying 68 extra dollars for.

I'm very VERY worried about there being body lines (fender to hood/fender to door/headlight to hood/fender to headlight/fender to bumper) that are off and don't match the other side of the car. A radiator bracket or housing or something like that also, which I guess is part of the structure that the headlight bolts into. I've expressed my concern with two different managers at the body shop about it.

Any body think that the lines will turn out ok? How bad does damage have to be for it to have a chance at not looking the same? I'm just extremely worried about it, and the paint not matching.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Your biggest worry should be matching paint. My gf creamed a deer a few months back and they used an aftermarket fender and headlight. You can't tell any difference in lines. But, she can't see it, but me who is very very picky can see a SLIGHT difference in color in the paint. It definetly is not worth complaining about, because she cant see it. A good dealer body shop should be able to get it to your satisfaction, especially since it's pretty new and the paint hasn't had time to sun fade much if at all. One of my old bosses did body work for a side job, and always used to say "I can match the shade, but not the fade".

Definetly good idea to go with ford parts only. I bet if you talk to your insurance company, they may be able to help you get the other guys insurance to cover that 68$. As far as I am concerned, it had ford parts on it when he hit you, it should have ford parts after. He shouldn't get off easier because it's cheaper for him.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts