Ford Mustang Forum banner

Just ordered an e85 tune!

24K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  Radar Doc 
#1 ·
Well as the title says I ordered an e85 tune from VMP tunning. hopefully I should have it tomorrow. My tank is almost empty. 30 miles to E on the info screen. I cant wait!!!:bounce2::bounce2:

#2 ·
Let us know how that goes. I'm very interested in your impressions/results!

Mike

#3 ·
Is E85 OK in the Mustang fuel system? I've read that E85 vehicles have special coating inside the tank and lines to prevent the ethanol from eating through over time.

Hope it works for you- I think E85 is around 106 octane give or take. That should allow for some pretty aggressive tuning.

#4 ·
from all that ive read the 2011 gt is compatible with e85. why ford did not offer it... IDK. it might have something to do with the factory tune havint little room to adjust to blends of 93 and e85 for example. half a tank of e85 and half a tank of 87 or 93.

#5 ·
i dont think it s secure for your engine! does it say in the manual you can gas up with e85? >NO!!! ! ! and did you know we dont have 10%ethanol ******** in germany?? because people and MANUFACTURE claiming it will mess with your engine! look it up! its been all over the news in germany! no 10ethanol crap in germany! nobody wants that crap over there! so gas up with it! BYE BYE warranty
you play you pay! wait the tuner told you it is safe for your engine :heha:

#7 ·
Yea but on the manual it says that its safe to use nitrous and it also says that its safe to put a blower on the car../roll eyes. Before you start to **** have some common sense and have some information to back up your ridiculous **** talking.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yes, please do post your feedback, good luck!

#9 ·
No but people do it anyways. That's the point I tried to make.

#10 ·
I'm sure you will be fine. I ran e85 in my wrx for over a year with no issues, people here have run e85 in them for years with no issues and they aren't listed from the manufacturer as e85 capable either.

Glad to hear you got it from VMP. I have a roush s/c kit coming from them. I'd have to upgrade the fuel system to provide more volume with the supercharger and e85, but I'm glad to hear they are playing with the e85. Would help on a heatsoaked car.

#12 ·
I have the tune on my inbox now. I can't wait to get home. Justin said to do a datalog pull to make sure that the afr stays at .82 lambda. Can't wait!

#13 ·
Interested in seeing what kind of gains you get out of just the fuel change/tuning. Do you have a before dyno that you can compare to?

#16 ·
so what would be the benefit of E85, I mean is it to advance the timing a ton like meth and have it run cooler?

What is the expected outcome in HP any dyno testing from the guy you bought it from?

Did you need larger injectors? Intrested in the results

#17 ·
I have stock fuel system. The power increase should be 3 to 4 percent.
Will update if injectors are big enough after datalog.

#18 ·

cant wait for the answer! hope everything works out good

off topic here check it out
........Different the case of introduction in Germany, that originally planned the introduction of E10 at the same time of France. The government created an agreement with the stakeholders and the car industry was supportive to the new fuel. Unfortunately the foreign car manufacturers released for Germany numbers of non-E10 compatible cars and the number was too high (about 3 million cars) for the government to pursue the E10 introduction, and it has been stopped.

read it all
http://esse-community.eu/articles/the-introduction-of-e10-in-germany-a-case-of-failure/

#19 ·
HPP in dallas has tuned several 5.0 mustangs on E85, the results are someone on this site.

It would be nice to see some more before and after data though (same day)

#20 ·
i put e85 in yesterday. still had 2 gallons of 93 in the tank. After some data logs i am spot on the AFR at .82-.83 which is 12:1 just like justing said. But i did noticed the knock sensors active so i pulled 3* back and datalog again but still had the knock sensors active. i do not hear any pinging so i dont whats going on but i will speak with justin today and see what he thinks. The car otherwise runs perfect. it might actually be a bit smoother than with my 93 octane tunes. the exhaust fumes do smell kind of funny lol it smells like a propane fork lift. anyways i will update on what justin says.

#26 ·
Do you have a way to log injector duty cycle to know if you are maxing out the stock fuel system or if there is still some cushion there?

#27 ·
Ok guys. I think im set now.. I still have the same tune as yesterday but set the timing back to how Justin had it set. I got a laptop from my sister and was able to get decent datalogs. I dont know the how the mixture of ethanol is. I suspect that its more like e70 than e85 because of the amount of 93 that I had in the tank when I filled up which if my math is right was about 11 to 12% 93 in the tank.

Okay I did two WOT runs third gear pulls and got no knock at 25*s of timing. AFR was .81-82 which is spot on! the fuel pump duty cycles reached a peak of 60%. I cant find the pid for injectors duty cycle but I think that they are enough for n/a. I guess that the truth will be told once I get a fresh tank of e85 and have a higher percentage of ethanol in the tank. The car pulls very strong and it feels like it has a little more bottom end. I think that once I get a new tank of fuel I should be able to add two degrees of timing. Justing said that 27 to 29* of timing is what he aims for on n/a e85 for this car. I am happy with the tune so far the car idles better than with my old 93 octane tune. Very very smooth.... I cant wait to get rid of this tank for a fresh fill up. I found the sunoco that has e85 which is closer than the shell that I filled up yesterday so that should make this switch even better. I hope to put the car on the rollers sometime next month to see what numbers I get and compare them to people runing 93 with my same mods. I will update once I get a new tank and more timing.:rockwoot::rockwoot:

#28 ·
Good stuff. I don't have a station close enough to me to be convenient with all the driving I do now but I will likely be getting a new job soon where I work from home so won't be filling up so often. Then I won't care that I have to drive a few extra miles to fill up and might try out an E85 tune.

#29 ·
They need to take that corn crap out of gas. Trust me we are all paying for it in other ways. Anything made with grain has went up double since everyone grows corn for fuel.

I buy over 10 million pounds of grain a year. Trust me I know what this did to food cost.

#31 ·
This isn't really the place to take a stand against the corn industry lol.

#34 ·
The most performance benefits with E85 are gained with an engine built to take advantage of the higher octane rating and cooling effects of the alcohol. This usually means a NA engine with 13:1 or higher compression ratio or a supercharged/turbocharged engine. A couple of years ago either Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine ran a good story on building engines for E85. They made some good power with both NA and supercharged setups. If I can find an online link to the story I'll post it here.

Ethanol contains about 30% fewer BTU's by volume than gasoline so mileage is significantly less than gasoline and requires a higher volume to be pumped into the engine than gasoline. Also, the optimum (stoichiometric) fuel/air ratio is different for ethanol than gasoline. In short, the advantages of E85 in an engine designed to run on pump gas are not fully realized without major modifications.

If you want to get up to speed on the non performance arguments regarding ethanol use, the NY Times ran this article on Friday: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/opinion/25Rattner.html?_r=1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.