Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first Mustang and I am really enjoying the car. I have been searching for my perfect one for about four months with no luck. I went into a dealer to inquire about ordering one and they ended up having one in their dealer network that fit the bill. I was able to negotiate a good deal that it put the price below the average price shown on Truecar and then I used the $500 grad discount. Guess all that student debt from my MBA gave me something back.

They located a new 2012 GT premium 400a with auto, HIDs and reverse sensing. I did not want the reverse sensing add-on but I was to negotiate a lower price than ordering one and everything else was dead on. Car is Kona Blue with black interior. I am coming from a 06 Infiniti G35 so I am relearning how to drive with this much power on tap. Only mods planned for now a shorty antenna (picked up an S2000 antenna off Ebay) and a JLT oil separator. As for now, the power is plenty and I know some handling mods will not be too far away.

I do have one question. I did a Google image search but did not come up with anything GT specific. I know the gauges are dummy gauges but my oil pressure needle is a decent mark off center but not in the actual high area. I checked the oil level the day I got it and it is perfect. I was just curious if this was normal as most images I saw were with the car off and only one V6 gauge where it looked right to center as well.

This has been the most helpful site researching options, real world functionality and general information. I did not have a camera when I picked it up and so far I only have cell phone shots but I will get some better quality ones shortly. Couple of pics at work yesterday.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats! And welcome to the forum. My oil needle is also a little high of center, but from what I've seen, that's normal. Kind of annoying, yes, but nothing to worry about.

Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
She looks nice! Congratulations!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting a few miles on it. Just checked the tire pressures and they were at 40 psi on the oem 18s. Tires were cold too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Upon bringing a new 2012 GT home, I checked the tire pressure and they were 44PSI cold. Lugnuts weren't torqued to 100 ft/lbs either, as they easily came off when I checked. I know what 100 ft lb of resistance feels like when removing lugnuts and they weren't even close.

Be sure to check and torque the lugnuts properly, my dealer didn't....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Upon bringing a new 2012 GT home, I checked the tire pressure and they were 44PSI cold. Lugnuts weren't torqued to 100 ft/lbs either, as they easily came off when I checked. I know what 100 ft lb of resistance feels like when removing lugnuts and they weren't even close.

That was my next move. Torque wrench is at the house. I found my locking log nuts in my trunk this so it will give me cause to check the others. Thanks for the heads up on the spec. Do you recall what size socket the lugs took? I also just found what looks like a sunglass holder and another clip attached to a base on the floorboard. I will have to search in the manual to see where it mounts. They sure prepped my car alright. Guess I am lucky it had the correct amount of oil.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Congrats Max.

I know what you mean on trying to find one if your ideal car included the HIDs. The dealers around here are allergic to stocking them for some reason UNLESS it's a CS package. Go figure.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats Max.

I know what you mean on trying to find one if your ideal car included the HIDs. The dealers around here are allergic to stocking them for some reason UNLESS it's a CS package. Go figure.
That is the same trend around here. If I did find one with HIDs on a dealer site, it was either sold a while back or was too expensive because of the amount of options. I like the look of the halogens but it was a function over form decision for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think it's a 21mm socket for the lugnuts.

That was my next move. Torque wrench is at the house. I found my locking log nuts in my trunk this so it will give me cause to check the others. Thanks for the heads up on the spec. Do you recall what size socket the lugs took? I also just found what looks like a sunglass holder and another clip attached to a base on the floorboard. I will have to search in the manual to see where it mounts. They sure prepped my car alright. Guess I am lucky it had the correct amount of oil.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Check absolutely everything you can. There is NOTHING that hasn't been screwed up by the factory or dealer at some time. And you will be living with the consequences more often than not.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only one lug was a full turn loose and the rest of the fluids look on the mark. Still have not checked the rear end but I was not sure if there is a reusable washer or not so I left it alone for now.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I grabbed a quick shot of the oil pressure gauge. Just wanted to get confirmation this was typical for the dummy gauges. This is under load but light.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Beautiful car and congratulations!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh god I love that color... cruising this 11'-12 forum makes me sad and excited at the same time lol. Cant wait till I graduate next year for mine... :yup:

What color is that? It looks to have an ever so slight purple hue to it that I find amazing o_O

·
Registered
361 Posts
that is Kona Blue Metallic

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone for confirmation on the gauge? I found a few youtube videos of various things but most times the car is either cold or they are not in focus on the gauges.

·
Registered
361 Posts
my oil gauge looks the exact same as your's, same needle position.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I do not think they are dummy gauges.

FWIW - My last Mustang (03 Mustang V6), when having an issue with the Alternator the battery/amperage gauge (that never seemed to move until the issue occurred) would go up and down depending on the Amperage/current coming from the alternator.

If there was an issue I would assume the needle would move + you would get a warning light of some kind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.