Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a 3/4 inch lift in my passenger seat on my 2011 mustang and it was easy and my seat is now at the perfect height. The key was driving out the factory pressed in 10mm studs and replacing them with larger and longer 7/16 grade 8 bolts. If you put a large socket over the factory 10mm stud flared head for suport of the sheet metal then whack the thread side with a hammer it will come out. You can also put a long extension on the socket so you can rest it on the ground for more support when you hit it. The blocks are made out of aluminum. Worked so well I almost think I should make kits for this and sell them. Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never been in the new mustangs, but if history has taught us anything it's that mustangs are never known to be spacious, so why raise it? I'm seriously asking, not being a richard.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The passenger seat is low if you have premium package but not the comfort package. I can adjust the driver up and down but the passenger is stuck low :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 6'2" in height and even I feel like a little kid when riding in the passenger seat. Looks like all mustangs from 2005 to 2012 have a real low passenger seats unless you have the power seat option on that side.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wouldn't mind raising up my passenger seat as well; My 8yo daughter cannot see above the dash...Thank for posting this!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I just put a 3/4 inch lift in my passenger seat on my 2011 mustang and it was easy and my seat is now at the perfect height. The key was driving out the factory pressed in 10mm studs and replacing them with larger and longer 7/16 grade 8 bolts. If you put a large socket over the factory 10mm stud flared head for suport of the sheet metal then whack the thread side with a hammer it will come out. You can also put a long extension on the socket so you can rest it on the ground for more support when you hit it. The blocks are made out of aluminum. Worked so well I almost think I should make kits for this and sell them. Here are some pics
I will buy a kit from you since I have no time. I wonder how much travel the power seats have. 3/4 inch seems to be a bit insignificant.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You would be surprised how much of a difference 3/4 makes. I definitely would not go any more just in case you have a passenger over 6'3". I milled out the blocks from 1" plate but .750 aluminum flat bar would be way easier if some one wants to make them at home and I made them long to match the load surface on the bracket. I have a 300lb friend that car pools with me to work.

·
Registered
84 Posts
can you tell me what the dimensions are of the blocks, i'm looking to do this same mod for the wife.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I also feel the passenger side is a little low; this would be really helpful, particularly for my wife. I can't see any right off the bat, but would there be any safety concerns with having the seat up on blocks?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Awesome mod!!! Many people have complained about how low the seat is on the passenger side of my Base Mustang. I have the driver side pumped way up so I have a much better view of the road.

I may get to doing this one day as well. Nice post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah, the passenger seat is low, and really should be adjustable. I wish there was a way to make it manually adjustable like the base GT driver seat, with the little lever.

Anyway, as much as I don't want to do it, my wife wants this done. So thank you for posting this OP, it will save me a lot of guess work and time.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you push down on the center of the switch (or equal amounts on both front and back of switch) the whole seat goes down. The front and rear motors can be used to tilt the seat (when one is adjusted more than the other) or raise and lower the seat (when both are adjusted equally).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did mine tonight. Used blocks of delrin milled to .80. 1 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inch. Its much better. I should have done a video as disassembling the seat was a pain. Also you have to really wack those studs to get them out. My 5 foot tall wife is happy. Thanks for the idea and pics!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Awsome idea. My 5'2" wife complains that she can't see over the hood. I know I'd hate that if I were a passenger as well.

So, where do you buy reasonably priced 3/4 inch bar stock aluminum? Definitely not at Home Depot, or Lowes.

Could sqare tube steel be safely substituted?

Tim

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would think steel tube would be fine. The stuff I used is just a really hard and durable polymer.

Be careful disassembling the seat. The frame edges are rough and will cut you up nice. Gloves would be a good idea.

The recline lever has a retainer similar to an e clip that must be removed and the side trim has metal clips difficult to remove without damaging. I had to rebend the tabs on mine to get them to hold.

Also be sure to route the airbag wire to the inside of the blocks. I initially routed mine wrong and it pulled tight as a banjo when seat tilted forward. Oh and I disconnected the battery since it is necessary to disconnect the airbag connector. Did not want to set any faults.

It took me almost 2 hours, but I could easily cut that time in half now having done it once.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts