Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about , further down the road, what I want to do with the engine. I was thinking a H/c/i combo maybe.

But Now I m wondering , has anyone just slapped a supecharger to a stock 302? What would you recomend? How much boost?

My car has 111k miles original engine, never rebuilt.

Thanks all.:wavey

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was thinking about , further down the road, what I want to do with the engine. I was thinking a H/c/i combo maybe.

But Now I m wondering , has anyone just slapped a supecharger to a stock 302? What would you recomend? How much boost?

My car has 111k miles original engine, never rebuilt.

Thanks all.:wavey
BAD idea...rebuild the engine...or run low boost...anything past 8PSI might kill your internals.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah bud rebuild it, get forged internals and then it should hold.

·
Registered
508 Posts
On a stock motor at 6psi, Maybe 50hp increase but... You would have ALOT more potential with a rebuild and upgraded valve train ect.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I slapped heads, intake, cam, and eventually SC on my 89 LX that has at least 100K on the motor. Lightning MAF meter and Cobra 39 lb injectors. Full length headers.

http://www.w8ji.com/1989_lx.htm

I'm at 10-11 lbs of boost, run 11's at 122-123 MPH with 3200 lbs on stinky slippery Nitto drag tires and my gear is too steep so I am way past maximum power at the end of the 1/4 mile. It's just over 7000 RPM through the lights.

You already have forged pistons so if the engine is in good shape it will handle it. I reckon I might as well hammer the old engine to death and get some fun out of it as to just throw it away. No knocks rattles pings or smoke. Ford tough.:D

G

·
I slapped heads, intake, cam, and eventually SC on my 89 LX that has at least 100K on the motor. Lightning MAF meter and Cobra 39 lb injectors. Full length headers.

1989 Mustang LX Coupe

I'm at 10-11 lbs of boost, run 11's at 122-123 MPH with 3200 lbs on stinky slippery Nitto drag tires and my gear is too steep so I am way past maximum power at the end of the 1/4 mile. It's just over 7000 RPM through the lights.

You already have forged pistons so if the engine is in good shape it will handle it. I reckon I might as well hammer the old engine to death and get some fun out of it as to just throw it away. No knocks rattles pings or smoke. Ford tough.:D

Not to hijack the thread.....

took a look at the pics.....

Tom your car raises sleeper to a whole new level....

Very Nice........:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am not doubting it at all but I wouldnt think you could wine out the 5.0 to 7000rpms. I thought you had to get a new Harmonic Balancer ect. to pull those kind of rpms without a knocking motor at the end of the day.? I dont know alot about alot but.....

Big thumbs up on the car. :bigthumbsup
Its clean and looks stock and Hauls

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
People put superchargers on stock 5.0's all the time. The ballpark figure with 8 psi of boost is around 330-340 engine hp, that's what Vortech claims. It's a 1989, those pistons are forged and tough, they can handle it and the stock bottom end is tougher than it gets credit for. Just don't go crazy with the boost because that's when people blow their engine and blame the supercharger when in fact it's their own fault.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not doubting it at all but I wouldnt think you could wine out the 5.0 to 7000rpms. I thought you had to get a new Harmonic Balancer ect. to pull those kind of rpms without a knocking motor at the end of the day.?
The thing that limits RPM, other than an RPM limiter, is valve float. My RPM limiter is off, my valve train handles about 7300 before it floats. Other parts, other than when they break, won't stop the RPM.

I remember telling a world class engine builder I wasn't getting enough power out of a factory 302 and he said "put a bigger cam in it and spin it to 8000". I always wondered how fast factory rods would let it spin, but never worried about the balancer.

Tom

·
Registered
621 Posts
if i saw toms car on the road i would not think twice about jumpin' on it. BIG mistake. :hihi:
Thanks guys. I like sleepers. They are fun.:bigthumbsup

I'm amazed at what a 302 can take. Like Eagle says, they are much stouter than people give them credit for.

·
Registered
440 Posts
they are...all Im saying is that if you build it you will be able to handle a whole lot more...but yeah if you keep it to 8PSI...I think you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
883 Posts
with only 8psi or so you'd be good, stock compression is 9 so you're right on the dot. The crank would outlast the block power wise. and the pistons can take the beating just dont go too crazy on the boost, I'm putting a turbo in mine with just some bolt ons see how it works out, next couple months should be the heads and couple months after that I'll probably split the block :hihi:

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you do run the supercharger on a stock engine with between 6-8 pounds of boost I realize you would see more power gains if you mod the rest of the engine but what parts would be a must to change to help the supercharger function properly on a totally stock engine.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Hows this for a tough bottom end? Over a hundred 150HP Jet Nitrous passes in the early 90's in my 89GT, I sold it 3 years ago to my neighbors friend and it's STILL Running, NEVER rebuilt below the Heads, the same goes for the T-5 and 8.8 rear, still the stock axles with NO C-Clip eliminators, haha!! Built FORD TOUGH!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.