Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Im finally back on and i would like to give you guys a little insider veiw of my experience test driving the '06 Roush. So last saturday my wonderful dad talked me into going to test-drive an '06 Roush Sport Mustang. I have been trying to talk him into an '05 GT for the past year and he finally called the dealership and set up a test drive and appointment to see what kind of trade in they'd give me for my '94 GT (that only has 37,000 miles now). So i went down and looked at a few and decided to test out a yellow hard top with black stripes :worship. Now, let me just say that on any other car, yellow looks horrible to me. But on this one.... :eyepoppin it was niiice. My first imperssion was that it was a really nice looking car, even nicer looking than my '94 GT (an i've always been a HUGE fan on the SN95 body style). Then i saw the sticker price... $28,000!! I was amazed! I couldn't believe it, just as i was about to go inside and just tell them that i'd take it- i saw the real sticker price- $38,xxx.xx and my hopes fell apart. $10,000 dollars more just to make the car look better? I dont know about all that. But it DEFINITELY looks better than a regular GT. And like many before me im sure have said... The stripes make a huge difference. Then there was the exhaust note when the lot tech fired it up- very subtle at first until he gave it a little rev to get it going. It doesn't sound as good as a push rod motor that has flowmasters like my '94, but it sounds pretty good. And it was pretty quiet too, until I opened it up. So we went around front and talked to the salesman and i was very suprised that he didn't want to go with me on my test drive. He just asked me if id like my two freinds to accompany me and i said yes. Then i aksed him if he wanted to go ad he said "no thanks" and "just try to leave some rubber on the tires" :cool:. I just smiled and said "i'll try" so we got in and i immediatley noticed the awesome way they decorated the interior- black with yellow accents and carbon fiber on most of the trim peices. VERY NICE!!! I love carbon fiber, if i could replace the whole body of my '94 with it, i defintely would. So we went out to get on the three lane road that is in front of the dealership and i pretty much had to wait 10 minutes to get on (DARN TRAFFIC!!!) Then, when i finally did get to go i stalled it :sosad:. Lets just say that i was alittle disappointed in the low-end torque of the motor. Getting it to go took a few more rpms than my '94 but still, it had plenty after we got going. I also think that my disappointment came partially from the fact that this was a stock clutch and my'n is a centerforce dual friction :winks. So after i got scared out of my pants trying to get the $40,000 dollar car across the three lanes so i could turn around and get on the highway I finally got to take it up past 1st gear. The power was smooth- very smooth, not like the torquey, throw you back in your seat power that i have felt in most muscle cars, but more like a surge of power that kinda creeps un on you. But it was definitely more powerful than my '94 in the higher rpms. So i continued on to the last stop light before the highway and i decided to see what she had so i took off relatively easy, then proceeded to let the power surge up through 1st, then second, then as i began to pass this little white hatchback on my way to 3rd at about 4500 rpm (where i shifted to take it easy in the brand-new Roush) the little white hatchback took off in a cloud of black smoke and a high pitched turbo whistle. Lets just say he beat me by about 3 car lengths :sosad:. But I really wasn't expecting it. So i proceeded on to the highway where he also turned. And this time i was ready- i punched it early (even though there was a police truck at the light). And i kept up right behind him. I turned in to the outside lane so i coud pass him but we were so even the only reason i did pass him was because there was no traffic in front of me. During that time i found the car to handle great and really haul when pushed slightly. I went from about 10-25mph to 80 or 90 in a matter of seconds. Then we continued on on the highway just cruising nice and easy. The first thing i noticed here was how much stiffer the ride was than any other mustang i have driven. It was definitely more roomy than my '94. As my 6'7" freind indicated right away. So i drove about 2 miles more until i reached the street i had planned to turn around at and, as expected a 2004 F-250 tryed to race me... I pretty much spanked him then cruised back down the highway to the exit where I would of turned to go back to the dealership, but i decided to keep on going. I was in the right hand lane when a black svt focus came wizzing by. So i dropped it down to second and floored it again :drool: and passed the focus with ease. And power shifting the roush into 4th at 80 was pure pleasure. So finally i cruised back to the dealer ship and tryed to talk to them about financing. And i pretty much found out i should sell my car outright and pay 15-20,000 up front so i could afford the payments. So heres my personal breakdown on the car(10 being the highest):
Appearence: 9.5
Power: 7 you can never have enough
Powertrain: 7 because of the fact that the shifter feels floppy and the clutch feels weak
Interior: 9 very nice and roomy, reached everything easily
Handling: 9 nice stiff suspension good for corners, bad for ride- had to barely trun the wheel
Sound System: 8.5 subwoofers were very nice
Wheels/Tires: 9.5 it had torque thrust type wheels that i love and the tires were very quiet and didn't ever even squeel
Brakes: 8 they are supposed to be real good but felt kinda squishy- never had to hit them hard to stop short
Any thing else??? If theres anything else you guys wanna know about the Roush that i might know in the little time i drove it, let me know, ill reply.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
You're going to Pay 38k for some body-kits and carbon fiber? Why not look for a GT and save the extra 6-8k. BTW, I think the Roush site said the Sport costs base GT + around 6.5k in additions. You're dealer was asking 38k? That's a couple thousand over MSRP. You got ripped.

"Lets just say that i was alittle disappointed in the low-end torque of the motor."

Um, it's got torque coming out of the a$$. Why do you think it's so easy to break the tires loose and cake to bark the tires all the way through 3rd gear.

"Wheels/Tires: 9.5 it had torque thrust type wheels that i love and the tires were very quiet and didn't ever even squeel"

You obviously didn't give it much gas. Doesn't sound like you gave it WOT.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
"And power shifting the roush into 4th at 80"
You should drop into 3rd at that speed if you want some "go". 4th is a drive gear, not hard accel gear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy there, tanto. I did give it WOT plenty of times and it didn't break 'em loose. The weak feeling of the clutch made me not want to drop it and light'em up. I never even tried to do a burn out. And the whole torque thing- do you have a dyno sheet on the '06 that shows the torque curve? Because it really didn't seem to have a whole lot of it to me ON THE BOTTOM END- not on the top end, the top end was great after about 2500-3500rpms. I shifted it hard plenty of times with the T/C off and there was no "chirp" at all so.... I dont know how you guys are doing it, but it wasnt working for me. Elevation maybe? And no, i didn't buy it i just TEST DROVE it, the price is the reason i didn't. And yes it said the GT they turned into a Roush costed $10,000 less than the one i drove. And one more thing, why so angry? I was just stating my OPINION on the vechicle...Im sorry if you didn't like it, but thats how i feel. I personally think $6,500.00 for a body kit and some carbon fiber is ridiculas! Thats why im probly gonna be ordering a '06 GT instead. :winks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Waxed'05 GT said:
"And power shifting the roush into 4th at 80"
You should drop into 3rd at that speed if you want some "go". 4th is a drive gear, not hard accel gear.
Dude when i shifted i was pretty close to red line and i wasn't going to take it all the way up and blow it. Why are you guys criticizing me sooo bad because i didn't take it out and ABUSE the living crap out of it? Would you want to buy it after i was done if i did abuse it? Didn't think so. And 4th gear is a hard accel gear for me cuz i like to really haul butt. :winks

·
Registered
171 Posts
kamo00 said:
...Because it really didn't seem to have a whole lot of it to me ON THE BOTTOM END- not on the top end, the top end was great after about 2500-3500rpms.
what do you consider low-end rpms then? prior to VVT torque came on after about 4k

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
blackened said:
what do you consider low-end rpms then? prior to VVT torque came on after about 4k
Idle, maybe?

·
Registered
209 Posts
You did say you had a couple of friends with you? One was 6'7" ...If you were haulin major "ass" (as in 250lbs. each) that would limit yer second gear painting for sure....:happyhapp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disappointed

I have a 94 also and I can't see myself driving anything else but it. Why do people sale or trade old for new? 94-95 Mustangs may have there corks but I will keep it forever...............:)

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
No anger here. Just that you seem to be the only one who can't chirp the tires and it seems like you have a very wierd impression of the car, in terms of power.

"The weak feeling of the clutch made me not want to drop it and light'em up."
What weak feeling is that? It's a heavy duty clutch that can withstand the amount of torque coming from the engine.

Well if you really baby the clutch out and ease into the gas, you're not gunna break em loose. You have to be doing some quick shifts and be quick on the clutch. Then you'll break them loose quite easily.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i got it figured out. I was doing everything right but with my 380lb freind and my other 250lb freind in the car, lets just say there was no amount of wasted traction. :). So sorry guys :sterb: i didn't mean to talk down on ur babies. I know if someone told me my car was a POS id be PO'ED too so... Does anybody have a '05 or '06 here from colorado that could take me for a real ride? Maybe let me drive a little? I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
kamo00 said:
I think i got it figured out. I was doing everything right but with my 380lb freind and my other 250lb freind in the car, lets just say there was no amount of wasted traction. :). So sorry guys :sterb: i didn't mean to talk down on ur babies. I know if someone told me my car was a POS id be PO'ED too so... Does anybody have a '05 or '06 here from colorado that could take me for a real ride? Maybe let me drive a little? I'd really appreciate it.
I don't let my wife drive my stang.......:happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Waxed'05 GT said:
Idle, maybe?
I am a firm believer in off idle torque. But lets not be ridiculas, between 1000 and 2500 there should be a good amount of torque ready to help get the vechicle moving when youre trying to manuver it into a tight space and you dont want to keep revving the enginge and burning the clutch. I just think it had alot to do with the fact that i have a dual friction center force in my '94 and i had 500 extra pounds or so in the car with me. I cant expect the car to have big block torque when it only has 281 cubic inches. I was just stating my experience the way i saw it at the time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
junior said:
I don't let my wife drive my stang.......:happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp :happyhapp :cool:
Im pretty sure i could drive better than your wife :winks :winks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
didnt you know your supposed to drive naked ,all those cloths add up .oh and dont eat before you drive to. damn dude you had over 4500lb in there. still i had my brother in law his 18 yr old son and a friend in mine ,chirped in 1st and 2nd. you were conservative.go back try again.lol vynle.
:tongue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well when i got my 05 gt the throttle response I thougth was abit weak combarred to my 87 gt done out. But with intake and few other mods it really wakes up...putting pulleys on tonigth and throttle body coiming soon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:THIS MESSAGE WAS WRITTEN IN RESPONSE TO A MESSAGE POSTED BY VYNLE:
Like I said before, I wasn't trying to or i know i could of- and the reason why i didn't was because i was TEST DRIVING a $40,000 car. I took it easy becuase i wouldn't want someone else to beat the crap out of my '06 Roush with 26.1 miles on it before i spent over $35,000 to get a NEW car. I dont really care about "chirping" the tires in the car, i could do that in a volvo or POS honda, it doesn't matter. All that matters is it was a nice car and i was simply trying to share my experience driving it, i didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by not taking it out and dropping the clutch at 2500 rpms or more and doing a 30 foot burnout right out of the parking lot of the car dealership, then power shift it all the way to 5th. :dunce: :rolleyes: I just wanted to share my good experience in the car with my fellow mustang owners/ lovers. Its people like the ones who are criticizing me here who are responsible for mustangs' low resale value. Nobody wants to buy a car that has been beat the crap out of all its life. If mustang owner would of taken better care of their cars then there would be more of them on the road today for us all to enjoy, and a '65 fastback wouldn't cost $25,000 to get one thats halfway road-worthy. I take care of my cars, very well and drive them hard every once in awhile, but i dont do a burnout everytime i take off or drive someone else's car into the ground. So forgive me for not taking it easy. Ill be sure to drive every mustang i can at every dealership and do at least 10 donuts with it and 5 powerslides. :winks So whenever you go to buy one, know its been driven REALLY HARD.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
kamo00 said:
:THIS MESSAGE WAS WRITTEN IN RESPONSE TO A MESSAGE POSTED BY VYNLE:
Like I said before, I wasn't trying to or i know i could of- and the reason why i didn't was because i was TEST DRIVING a $40,000 car. I took it easy becuase i wouldn't want someone else to beat the crap out of my '06 Roush with 26.1 miles on it before i spent over $35,000 to get a NEW car. I dont really care about "chirping" the tires in the car, i could do that in a volvo or POS honda, it doesn't matter. All that matters is it was a nice car and i was simply trying to share my experience driving it, i didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings by not taking it out and dropping the clutch at 2500 rpms or more and doing a 30 foot burnout right out of the parking lot of the car dealership, then power shift it all the way to 5th. :dunce: :rolleyes: I just wanted to share my good experience in the car with my fellow mustang owners/ lovers. Its people like the ones who are criticizing me here who are responsible for mustangs' low resale value. Nobody wants to buy a car that has been beat the crap out of all its life. If mustang owner would of taken better care of their cars then there would be more of them on the road today for us all to enjoy, and a '65 fastback wouldn't cost $25,000 to get one thats halfway road-worthy. I take care of my cars, very well and drive them hard every once in awhile, but i dont do a burnout everytime i take off or drive someone else's car into the ground. So forgive me for not taking it easy. Ill be sure to drive every mustang i can at every dealership and do at least 10 donuts with it and 5 powerslides. :winks So whenever you go to buy one, know its been driven REALLY HARD.
Actually that hurt my feelings. I was crying for what seemed hours on my fiancee's lap when she finally told me I needed counseling....:tongue hehe jk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tw0scoops123 said:
Actually that hurt my feelings. I was crying for what seemed hours on my fiancee's lap when she finally told me I needed counseling....:tongue hehe jk.
:weeps LOL im sorry man, i didn't say that to hurt anyones feely weelies but im just frustrated that i cant ever seem to save up enough money for a '65 or '66 because they just keep going up every year. And because of the fact that every mustang out there has either been driven into the ground, or very well taken care of but the ladder causes them to be unobtainable unless youre a rich boy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts