Ford Mustang Forum banner

Just the Mufflers Only !!!

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  myromac87 
#1 ·
I am looking for a louder sounding MUFFLER only for my 2006 stang GT..
I called Midus up and they will put on Flowmasters on for me at $350.
Unless you people think I I should buy another type of Muffler and have them put in in?
I don't want to go crazy and pay alot for 2 mufflers.
Will ONLY changing the Mufflers will make that much of a differance?
I am looking for a louder sound.And If I get flowmasters what ones would you all say I should get ...Thanks...............Thanks allll JohnnyT

#2 ·
Johnnytuinals said:
I called Midus up and they will put on Flowmasters on for me at $350.
Unless you people think I I should buy another type of Muffler and have them put in in?
I don't want to go crazy and pay alot for 2 mufflers.
Will ONLY changing the Mufflers will make that much of a differance?
I am looking for a louder sound.And If I get flowmasters what ones would you all say I should get ...Thanks...............Thanks allll JohnnyT
This is just my opinion but... if your just going to get mufflers then there straight bolt on and probably one of the easiest mods on the new ponies. So you could save some money by doing them yourself. As to which ones sound loud I would either go for Flowmaster or Borla.

#4 ·
Johnnytuinals said:
That Simple???I heard people complan that they sometimes they don't line up right?.....What do I do just take off a Few Bolts and hook the new ones up...That easy?JohnnyT
As far as I know its just a clamp that is attached with a couple bolts then you take the new ones put them on and use the same clamp to reattach it. I havent heard anyone complain about them not lining up but I guess that would be possible if maybe the pipe has been warped a little from the heat and what not. Maybe some other users can chime in for yeah.

#5 ·
The hardest part of doing it your self is getting the stock exhaust off. Some of the bolts are in some really hard to reach parts.

The worst one is the vertical driver side front hanger bolt - that's the hardest one for sure. If you get that off, you're home free :eyepoppin . The reason it's so hard to get to is because the muffler itself is in the way and prevents easy access. The trick to getting it on/off is to get a simple wrench and hug the muffler while lying on your back and feel blindly for the bolt with your finger and then proceed to loosen it - you won't be able to see what you're doing but that's the tricky part.

#6 ·
I guess it can be easy......I need to change my Oil tomorrow I have 1000 already so I will just ask my service Station what will he charge me......If its around $60 it will be worth it,It seems that Midus Mufflers charge a bit more or maybe they might be cheaper since they are a chain?
I ratter spend $50-75 and get it right,I would hate to screwup and have a exhust leak in my car,,,Had that happen years ago....JohnnyT

#7 ·
Yes, it's easy. Plus, Flowmasters are only about $275. I did not even use ramps. I fronted the car into the garage and let the back stick out, (apartment dwellers can put two tires up on a curb). Two mounting things hold the rods in place, it's all clean and nice work.

When you are done with that we will test the ohm's of resistance in our spark plug wires. Ohm's law is so cool!

#9 ·
gd06gt said:
Do it yourself.

You'll save $ & it'll give you confidence for the mod install.

Don't worry about messing it up. You can't.
Dang Straight.

This is a Mustang. There's Mustang HERITAGE at stake here for cripe's sake.

That Mustang heritage DEMANDS that you, the owner, who wants a racous exhaust hop-up, get out there and skin your knuckles up a little bit in honor of, and to join, the elite legions of Mustang-wrenching gearheads who have labored this way over the last 40 years to uphold all that is honorable and worthy of Stangalistic Righteousness!!!

Plus really, nothing beats the feeling of driving a cool car you've wrenched on yourself in some way.

#10 ·
do not do the flowmasters your self. they are charging about 50-75 for install, that's worth it. the flowmasters are very big mufflers and are a pain to install, and they are very likely to rattle, bc they rub on the rear most hangers, rear most bolt. and they also tend not to line up perfect without some adjustment to the over axle pipe, rotating it a bit. but do get these mufflers, the sound is worth it, and bc of the baffle design (i.e. not fiberglass packing) the sound will NEVER change.

#11 ·
05GTSILVER said:
do not do the flowmasters your self. they are charging about 50-75 for install, that's worth it. the flowmasters are very big mufflers and are a pain to install, and they are very likely to rattle, bc they rub on the rear most hangers, rear most bolt. and they also tend not to line up perfect without some adjustment to the over axle pipe, rotating it a bit. but do get these mufflers, the sound is worth it, and bc of the baffle design (i.e. not fiberglass packing) the sound will NEVER change.
I had no rub, rattle or hanger issues with the install of my American Thunder kit. Took 30 minutes to remove the stock and replace with the new ones. Hardest part was lining them up, took a few trys to get it just right.

They sound healthy now.

#12 ·
05GTSILVER said:
do not do the flowmasters your self. they are charging about 50-75 for install, that's worth it. the flowmasters are very big mufflers and are a pain to install, and they are very likely to rattle, bc they rub on the rear most hangers, rear most bolt. and they also tend not to line up perfect without some adjustment to the over axle pipe, rotating it a bit. but do get these mufflers, the sound is worth it, and bc of the baffle design (i.e. not fiberglass packing) the sound will NEVER change.[/QUOTE

Thanks yea 05GTSilver
Yea i feel if its only around $75 I would ratter have it done right instead of screwing around with it myself.....
Are the Flowmasters super 40
or the flowmasters 40 series delta flow or the AMERICAN THUNDER....
I like the way the American Thunder sounds from their website and is it more money then the others?....Thanks JohnnyT:laughlitt

#13 ·
as i rember when i researched them, and i did heavily, they are the new SUPER 40 delta flow's. now the question is do you want a loud roar or a nice rumble. the flowmaster give you a nice rumble at idle, and scream to life at full throttle.

#14 ·
What i have found, is our new stang is muffled more by the cats than by the actual mufflers. There is an article in "muscle mustangs and fast fords" that did a comparison between 4 or 5 different mufflers. They did a baseline test without any muffler and the car was only slightly louder, as measured by their decibel test.

I also ran with offroad x-pipes for about a week, with the stock mufflers and the car was much louder and more aggressive sounding. I absoultly loved the new sound, but the noise vibration, and harshness from the front was not worth it. So i am back to stock, for now.

#15 ·
Johnnytuinals said:
Depending on what "loud" is to you, a muffler/muffler delete may do it (SLP Loudmouths).

The first mod I did was Magnaflows....too quiet, I tried flow-master...louder, but not loud enough...both were marginally louder. Even after my Xpipe install. The car was "somewhat" louder, but not "turn people's heads as you pass by" loud.

That didn't happen until I cut the cats out. It has an aggresive sound now...very noticeable and loud. I don't like the "tone" that the flows have. Kind of sounds like a chamber in the muffler has come un-welded and is rattling.

Here's a vid:
http://216.180.243.6/Files/Ninos2005Stang.wmv

-N

#17 ·
Great video Good job :kooky:

#18 ·
ninoavila said:
Depending on what "loud" is to you, a muffler/muffler delete may do it (SLP Loudmouths).

The first mod I did was Magnaflows....too quiet, I tried flow-master...louder, but not loud enough...both were marginally louder. Even after my Xpipe install. The car was "somewhat" louder, but not "turn people's heads as you pass by" loud.

That didn't happen until I cut the cats out. It has an aggresive sound now...very noticeable and loud. I don't like the "tone" that the flows have. Kind of sounds like a chamber in the muffler has come un-welded and is rattling.

Here's a vid:

-N
WOW! What a treat to watch that video. Love the narrative too. Nice car.

#19 ·
ninoavila said:

Here's a vid:

-N
Your Video is awesome nice Stang!!!!!

#21 ·
Borla Catback + Bassani X-Pipe w/ CATS = AWESOME EXHAUST KIT!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.