Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:nono:Looks like it's seeping down between the Pan and Torque converter housing where the lower left bolt on driver's side is. Not a Valve cover and not coming from pan gasket itself. Just Purchased the Car June 7 2009. Don't know what the source is? Does anyone have an educated guess or suggestion.?? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No Warranty Purchased

The dealer wanted big bucks, and the aftermarket ones were $1400, so I took a chance, the vehicle was only $5K and it looks good. That and the 6 disc changer not working are the only problems so far. Thanks, Russell

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
sounds like the rear main seal.

put some dye in the oil, run it for a few days, and start looking for your leak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have replaced 2 of the these rear main seals in the 3.8 mustangs. It is a one piece unit changed from the rear of the engine. You will have to remove, exhaust, drive-shaft, tranny, pressure plate, electrical connections to tranny and o2 sensors. Easy job, with basic skills and tools you can do this in a weekend. Just be sure to use a quality seal and jack the car up high enough to remove tranny.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I have replaced 2 of the these rear main seals in the 3.8 mustangs. It is a one piece unit changed from the rear of the engine. You will have to remove, exhaust, drive-shaft, tranny, pressure plate, electrical connections to tranny and o2 sensors. Easy job, with basic skills and tools you can do this in a weekend. Just be sure to use a quality seal and jack the car up high enough to remove tranny.
assuming that it is, in fact, the rear main seal leaking,
the flywheel also has to be removed.

you'll also need some lube (caliper grease is what i used and it works fine), a 7mm drift pin, and a small hammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oil leak Solved

You Mustang Pro's were right on, it was the Rear Main Seal, now after parting with some cash at my favorite shop, It's no longer a problem. Thanks guys !!:wavey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.