Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I searched the fourms and couldnt find anything to answer my question so apoligies for the re-post if so. Anyways, I just installed a K&N Aircharger about a month ago...honestly no real huge gains anywhere, throttle response is a little better, exhaust is slightly louder and gas mileage has dropped it seems...I have a 2008 gt. The car has 15,800km (9,875mi)on it so no issues with the car runs great, running 87 gas only mods i have are the cai and muffler deletes. First tank of gas with the cai installed i obviously ran the snot out of it lol and got 274km to that tank with purley city driving. this last tank i just did i got 255km to the tank and i was constantly driving conservativley with gas mileage in mind to see what kind of gain id get with the cai and there was no gain...highest mileage with city driving iv got was 312km to a tank and that was back in Feb with the stock air box, is the cai garbage/broken? Anything i can to to fix??

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Well, I wouldn't suspect anything is wrong with the K&N Intake...did you buy it used or new? Did you install a tune with the intake? That is highly recommended.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brand new out of the box, and no i do NOT have a tune. Only mods are the cai and muffler deletes. But they advertise better gas mileage right away with "no tune required" this just completely caught me off guard i had expectations.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I don't think you can take 3 data points and draw a conclusion...summer gas, heat can reduce MPGs...keep driving it and see if it remains low, also check your tire pressures...can make a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks guys, its been a lil cooler finally the past week and mileage seems to be better on this tank with identical driving conditions.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't think you can take 3 data points and draw a conclusion...summer gas, heat can reduce MPGs...keep driving it and see if it remains low, also check your tire pressures...can make a difference.

This is the best answer you will find on this and any thread like it IMO!:bigthumbsup

I would add, since it's hot outside you are probably using the A/C more as well, something you probably weren't doing right away.

Check those tires though. Also try to coast to a stop and sometimes if you slow down you can avoid the need to stop. Taking off from a dead stop is the what kills your MPG.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hey bro i have a k&n intake on my car. when i bought my 05 GT it already had it but for a while i noticed my car was heating up and it wasnt anything wrong with the cooling system and i was told by the american muscle guys that it could be in the air filter but overall my intake is really hot after driving it but i will let you know tomorrow what happens after i drive it today to check up on everything once more

·
Registered
68 Posts
You definitely need a tune. I recommend a tuner from American Muscle. You will get free tunes for life from Bama if you purchase your tuner from them. Although many aftermarket intakes say "no tune required" you need to have your engine retuned to run the proper air/fuel ratio. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
You definitely need a tune. I recommend a tuner from American Muscle. You will get free tunes for life from Bama if you purchase your tuner from them. Although many aftermarket intakes say "no tune required" you need to have your engine retuned to run the proper air/fuel ratio. Hope this helps
Tune is not needed if the MAF (Mass Air Flow) tube is the same diameter as stock. The only reason the air/fuel ratios are thown off by most CAI''s is because they come with a larger diameter MAF tube so the sensor is giving bad readings (larger diameter means more air volume at the same velocity)

That said, a tune is still probably a good idea.

But don't expect these "night and day" changes that you see advertised and hear about on these posts, in my experience they are highly exaggerated

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Did your right foot get heavier?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes def getting the sct tuner from AM and I want the ford racing 4.10 gears. When all is said and done for now i will have k&n cai, sct 91 tune (dont want 93tune), muffler deletes, and frpp 4.10's.... its my first stang so how will this set up feel? ps thanks for the replys guys never thought about the a/c, tire pressure is right up at 36 psi on all 4 tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts