Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed the K&N Air Charger and have a couple of comments and questions. In general installation went smoothly. I didn't care much for the removal of the two valve cover bolts without providing torqing specs for the re-installation. The installation of the edging was very difficult.

Question: The instructions indicate I should put the HC trap back in the CAI. There seems to be an opinion on this board that it can be removed. For those who installed a K&N CAI did you leave your HC trap in or out?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I left it in, for now, but I was going to leave it in for a bit and then remove it in a couple of months and see if there is any difference in fuel economy. I've already notice quite a difference already with it in. I also thought the same thing about the torque of the two bolts and with edging. I grin from ear to ear everytime I drive it now with the extra HP and it sounds even better now too. Great investment.

·
Registered
538 Posts
bicbehr said:
I've just installed the K&N Air Charger and have a couple of comments and questions. In general installation went smoothly. I didn't care much for the removal of the two valve cover bolts without providing torqing specs for the re-installation. The installation of the edging was very difficult.

Question: The instructions indicate I should put the HC trap back in the CAI. There seems to be an opinion on this board that it can be removed. For those who installed a K&N CAI did you leave your HC trap in or out?
Manufacturers recommend to leave it in. If they say to leave it in you could mess up the warrantly for the K& N and for Ford. Ford could possibly have a problem with the warranty if the filter is left out. They do however warranty any engine troubles with a "properly installed" CAI.
I agree with you on all points regarding torqueing pressures and difficulty with putting the edging on. I love the added HP and sound. Definitly makes a difference.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's probably not even in there. I did not have one. Everyone else is taking them out with no problems. But, it's your car. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
sandyman said:
It's probably not even in there. I did not have one. Everyone else is taking them out with no problems. But, it's your car. :)
There is no filter with the K & N kit. Your supposed to remove the stock one from the existing tube on the car than insert it in the K & N. It aint easy getting that thing out either.

·
Registered
196 Posts
HazMatLadder26 said:
There is no filter with the K & N kit. Your supposed to remove the stock one from the existing tube on the car than insert it in the K & N. It aint easy getting that thing out either.
For those who installed a K&N CAI did you leave your HC trap in or out?

I was referring to the HC probably not being there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you have an HC trap, you should leave it in, or transfer it to the new intake. The older 05's have them in. If you remove it without a tune, you can mess up the air/fuel mix and thus, the engine. I heard the 06's and some of the later 05's don't have the trap, but the computer has been tuned for the deletion. I would definitely transfer the trap into the K&N intake tube. You'll get more air into the engine without it, but you could mess the engine up.

·
Registered
622 Posts
had an h/c. removed it. put K&N in no h/c. 6 weeks and problem free.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
blackhawk 9 said:
If you have an HC trap, you should leave it in, or transfer it to the new intake. The older 05's have them in. If you remove it without a tune, you can mess up the air/fuel mix and thus, the engine. I heard the 06's and some of the later 05's don't have the trap, but the computer has been tuned for the deletion. I would definitely transfer the trap into the K&N intake tube. You'll get more air into the engine without it, but you could mess the engine up.
So I didn't transfer the HC trap. The car runs great. No check engine ligh. Is the computer compensating for the extra air? Isn't that what the mass air sensor is for? Sense the amount of air comming into the engine and make proper adjustments? If the car was running too lean wouldn't the check engine light come on?

·
Registered
394 Posts
bicbehr said:
...I didn't care much for the removal of the two valve cover bolts without providing torqing specs for the re-installation. The installation of the edging was very difficult.
Does anyone know the "correct" torque of these valve cover bolts? Can someone please post them here on the forums?

·
Registered
305 Posts
There shouldn't be need of a tune to remove the HC trap. When Ford first removed them someone on here talked to a tech who said that the program was not modified. The only reason why tunes are needed fro a lot of CAI systems is because the alignment of the MAF is not correct. On CAI systems that were properly designed no tune is necessary.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just got the K&N AirCharger kit and I have a question. Is the filter it came with ready to install or do you need to prep it first with oil/recharger kit? The kit doesn't come with the recharger kit so I assume it's ready to go out of the box. The outside of the box talks about the filter lasting so long, blah, blah, and mentions oil; but none seems to be in the kit. Do I need to do this first? Any input? Also, did anyone ever find any torque numbers for the bolts that are removed and reused?

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's good to go SIR! I have read on some threads about torque value. Might do a search SIR. LMAO :wavey

·
Registered
394 Posts
Stand down, private...these are not the insurgents we are looking for!

Thank you much Sandyman!

·
Registered
196 Posts
yeah but kill them anyway

Found this for you FWIW <<<<<<<The proper torque spec is 89 inch pounds for the valve cover bolts. If use anything larger than a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 4 inch handle you can break it off. No too mention using a impact wrench of air wrench can break it just as easily.>>>>>>
I Also noticed when I opened your hood that you are missing a valve cover bolt on the passenger side sir.

·
Registered
196 Posts
oops forgot you had the V6 never mind the missing bolt.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The new filter is wrapped ina plastic bag that clearly states the filter is oiled and ready to go.

I agree about the torque settings not mentioned but it is a great mod for little money +15hp and a great sound too! and no flaffing around flashing your chip

·
Registered
394 Posts
sandyman said:
oops forgot you had the V6 never mind the missing bolt.
Actually, the install was so super easy. I didn't have to remove any valve cover bolts at all. Just one waterpump nut, one fan-shroud bolt, and the main bolt that holds on the stock air box. Too easy, I say!

Great sound, good umpf.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts