Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into buying one but I have a few problems.

1. I don't know where to buy one from. I looked on EBAY, but there are so many different prices ranging from 200-420 dollars.

2. How many different kinds of K&N CAIs are there for an 06 GT? Which is the best bang for the buck? Not sure which models are worth and and which ones are not.

3. I have a tuner, what will I have to do when I install the CAI?

Thanks for the help guys.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have put the K&N Filter Charger System on my 06 GT this year (part number 63-2565, installed just a couple of weeks ago actually..!) I haven't made my mind up whether to keep it yet as it seems to have made the car louder...

I have the option to buy a new exhaust but I don't know whether that's gonna add to the noise as well...

All these decisions... And the snow hasn't even left yet..!

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have put the K&N Filter Charger System on my 06 GT this year (part number 63-2565, installed just a couple of weeks ago actually..!) I haven't made my mind up whether to keep it yet as it seems to have made the car louder...

I have the option to buy a new exhaust but I don't know whether that's gonna add to the noise as well...

All these decisions... And the snow hasn't even left yet..!
All CAIs will make the intake a little louder. Some more than others.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a question about these too. I read elsewhere that installing a CAI, K&N or otherwise, without a tune can play havoc with your engine timing and damage your engine. I want to get a K&N CAI and install it without a tune, so is it true that I could damage my engine by doing that? I've never heard that before so I'm holding off on doing it now.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have a question about these too. I read elsewhere that installing a CAI, K&N or otherwise, without a tune can play havoc with your engine timing and damage your engine. I want to get a K&N CAI and install it without a tune, so is it true that I could damage my engine by doing that? I've never heard that before so I'm holding off on doing it now.
The K&N is one that will work without a tune but it will perform better with a tune. They don't do anything to timing, it's the air/fuel mixture that gets out of whack when you run some CAIs without a good tune.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The K&N is one that will work without a tune but it will perform better with a tune. They don't do anything to timing, it's the air/fuel mixture that gets out of whack when you run some CAIs without a good tune.
Thanks for clearing that up stlwagon. I was always of that same mind until I read one person's take on the K&N CAI. In fact, most of the other CAI mfrs state that you must have a tune if you want to install the CAI but K&N does not. At least not for their low-end CAI which is what I'm looking at.

All I want is a slight HP gain with better intake sound and better pedal response for a low cost. I think the K&N will fit that bill perfectly. Maybe someday I'll get a tune, but for now the bone stock V8 is plenty of power for me. :bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up stlwagon. I was always of that same mind until I read one person's take on the K&N CAI. In fact, most of the other CAI mfrs state that you must have a tune if you want to install the CAI but K&N does not. At least not for their low-end CAI which is what I'm looking at.

All I want is a slight HP gain with better intake sound and better pedal response for a low cost. I think the K&N will fit that bill perfectly. Maybe someday I'll get a tune, but for now the bone stock V8 is plenty of power for me. :bigthumbsup
I think you'll be fine with the K&N.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2006 GT and just put the K&N air charger filter system on it with no tune and it works great. I have not had any problems with it and it was pretty easy to install, hardest part was the heat shield bracket install getting the correct bracket on the correct side of the heat shield to mount to the proper part of the car. Other than that no issues. I think you would be very happy with it and if you get a tune for it at some point like others have said it will perform even better. I noticed better throttle response right off and I had some issues with pinging here and there with the stock system and putting this system on seemed to fix that so it only happens once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Autoanything.com probably cheapest price online, Summit will match.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Autoanything.com probably cheapest price online, Summit will match.
That's exactly where I was going to buy it from. It was $201 shipped last night after a 10% code they had on the home page of the site. It's now $221 shipped so I'll wait a little while to see if I can get that discount again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.