Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for Christmas this year, my wife got me a drop in K&N for my stang. I need to know if this is just my imagination or what. After dropping in the new filter, it felt to me like there was less power than on the old stock paper filter. Is this just my imagination or is there some explanation to why this might "appear" to be different to me?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've heard this mentioned in the past. The K&N filter allows more air flow and the engine doesn't compensate for it appropriately. I believe I even read the K&N drop-in can cause a CEL because the computer is so sensitive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Seems odd to me. I added one and the car seemed to responed a bit better and the power seemed to improve a bit also. I have had in in for over 6 months and have had no problems.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. So I guess the next question is how can this be compensated for? Is a tuner the only way to adjust for something like this?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
vistapony said:
That makes sense. So I guess the next question is how can this be compensated for? Is a tuner the only way to adjust for something like this?
Yup, you must retune.
You can do a search on tuners or CAI, tons of info on them here.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I didn't sense any power difference when I installed one; only a little more induction noise. I think it's your imagination. You can't "feel" a 3-horsepower gain/loss on a 300-horsepower engine. As for "tuning" for it, you would need to dyno it w/ AFR readings. The "flash tuner" handhelds are what gives the added power; the Cold Air kits add very little on their own. Hopefully you didn't put too much oil on it, but that would give you a CEL. Swap the stock filter back and try it. Or better yet, have someone else do it so you don't know which filter is installed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i did a k&n cai w/ no retune. did you disconnect the battery to allow the computer to re-learn the new intake?

·
Registered
785 Posts
NickDC123 said:
i did a k&n cai w/ no retune. did you disconnect the battery to allow the computer to re-learn the new intake?
Nick:

I am waiting for my K&N to arrive, but I am a bit curious. I know that the disconnect will reset the computer's history on a lot of things.
What else will it reset? Do you unplug either terminal? What else should I expect to do after re-connecting the cable?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If your car has over 3k miles the system has created a history and if you change anything it needs to be reset. Can you also do a complete retune,but that is more expensive. What I have heard done is disconnect the negative cable and turn key on a couple times. Reconnect the cable and reteach the computer the air mixtures. I was also told that try to bring her up through all the RPM ranges to get full air flow. My K&N did sound better and I did notice some better response.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have only 1300 miles on the car so far so will I need to clear the history or just keep driving and let it adjust?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just keep driving it will readjust and relearn as it goes. Might take you a tank of gas or 2. But the computer in the car is self learning

·
Registered
183 Posts
vistapony said:
my wife got me a drop in K&N for my stang. I need to know if this is just my imagination or what.
Assuming it's a filter only (non-CAI), it's your imagination. The drop-in filter has zero impact on performance and does not require any tune.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Follow directions exactly and no re-tune is required. Make sure you disconnect the battery before you plug in the sensors so the computer can adjust itself. My k & n cai sounds great. In addition I notice a little more power at the higher rpm's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was pretty worried that disconnecting the battery would screw a lot of stuff up ... but ... it did not. I did it by removing the negative battery cable, counting to 15 (scientific, huh?), and then reconnecting it. I did this after the K&N CAI install and it seemed to help the engine learn it. I did not get the CEL from the K&N CAI ... one of the reasons I got the K&N is that it said clearly, no re-tune needed. I have since gotten a BamaChips 93 Torque flash tune via an XC2 that I am EXTREMELY pleased with as well.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Great job guys. Your responses are exactly the reason I trust this forum. Like "ask the audience" option in that millionare show. Except this time is "ask the experet audience" option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts